Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Graphics and Animation » Sample Graphics » There Is A Light That Never Goes Out » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Graphics and Animation forum! Please feel free to look around and learn new things in here. Don't be shy in sharing your knowledge as well. Before you start a new thread PLEASE make sure a thread doesn't already exist for the same purpose.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Aug 04, 09 at 1:58amRiotType

SampleGRAPHICS

Welcome to Neoseeker's Sample Graphics, where you are free to post any digital artwork for criticism. Please take the time to read the following rules. Rules revised and shortened.

Rules of Sample Graphics
  • Sexual Content; Content showing nudity or mature acts of sexual behavior are not permitted.

• Theft; Neoseeker will not tolerate anyone stealing other artist's work and claiming it as their own. Violaters of this will be permanently banned on sight.

• Giving Criticism; Be CONSTRUCTIVE with your criticism. If you don't like something, say why. Give suggestions on how to fix it, and ways they can improve their work in the future. If you posting some of your work its only polite to critique on people before you. Try and actually help them rather then just explaining what they did so you can get criticism on yours.

• Recieving Criticism; Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people are going to like your work, and some aren't. Know this. Please use appropriate behavior if someone gives you bad feedback on your work. Contrary to what you may think, they are only trying to help. Also, please take what they say into consideration when continuing on with your graphics. Theres no point in posting here if you won't even try to adjust to what people say.

• Large Images; Images that are over the demensions of 500x500 and/or above the filesize of 150 kB, you MUST supply them with a link. There will be no penalty or ban given if you fail to do so but it just helps if you link such images as they tend to stretch the page making the thread look generally ugly.

• Flash Animation; Link all Flash creations.

• Fan Art/Hand Drawings; This is Graphics and Animation. Do not post work that you have not digitally edited yourself. This includes fan art and hand drawings. You may only post them if you have done something digital to them.

------------------------

Previous Thread: Sample Graphics
  • Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 14, 14 at 7:52am
    Kaharius

Anytime Iscariot. Glad to help.

Also, if the light is supposed to come from the fire, maybe you could try to darken the bell of the stock a little bit more? Usually, there's hardly any light just under a fire, so that part should be darker, if you get what I mean.

Dec 14, 14 at 3:22am
    Iscariot

thanks for the feedback, Kaharius.
    regarding the skull and arrow in the bottom left corner, I think I figured out what was wrong: the arrow is upside down, so the shadow is on top (fixed in my latest revision), and the skull's coloring could look a little odd (also more or less fixed, but still messing with it).

as for the light on the dominant stock, that's supposed to be coming from the fire. perhaps I need to change the color a little to make the clearer, though. there is a subtle orange glow, but a lot of it is just white.

the shadow for the skull in the back, to the right, is a little wonky. I used a simple drop shadow effect on the layer, which is a lazy method, but can work fine. I think I'll remove that and make a legit shadow by duplicating the layer, filling it black, blurring, skewing, lowering opacity, all that jazz.
    I'll probably just post the final version in my port before submitting it in the collage thread.

Dec 13, 14 at 5:01pm
    Kaharius

Iscariot Much better, man. But I'm still a bit confused. If there's a light source to the left of the whole thing, falling on the statue/guy shouldn't there be some light around him? The trees behind him seem to have the lighting they would if they were in a dark room or if the entire scene was at night. The stature/guy seems blended in very well, it's just the lighting that's concerning me.

That first skull on the right hand side looks like like it's blended in much better, but if you zoom in a bit, to the bottom left hand side of the skull, the shadow leans a bit to the left. Considering the light source on the statue/guy, it should lean a bit to the right. Similarly, the new skull and arrow you've put in on the left, doesn't look like it's blended in too well, imo.

This is my first time, and as you know, I'm a complete noob at this, so I could be wrong on all accounts.

Dec 13, 14 at 11:29am
    Iscariot

alright, Remedy, Kaharius, whoever else.
    I've worked on getting the piece to a more complete place and I think I'm fairly happy with it.
    since the last time, I've moved the skull, added another one, worked on more shadows, worked on some additional blending of the stocks and fire.
    to be honest, this might be one of the most intensive photo manips I've worked on to date, so detailing everything is extremely overwhelming. I'll probably upload the psd to my digital portfolio once this collage round is finished.

Dec 09, 14 at 7:54am
    Iscariot

quote Remedy
    Wow.
    I'm really impress, seriously. Honestly didn't expect you to do this well with photomanipulation.

thanks for the feedback, guys. I was at that point where my eyes were totally glazing over and my hand was cramping, so I'll work on all of that in the next few days.
    Kaharius, you're totally right about that skull. that was one of the last things I placed into the image, and it just wasn't looking right further toward the front (in front of tree), where the lighting would make more sense. now that it's scaled down, I think I'd need totally start over with cutting it out if I want to use it further up. then again, I might just remove it.
    you guys are totally right about the lighting in general.
    one of the big issues I had with giving the light a more orange hue, Rem, is that it's coming out in with this weird green tint, that's probably the result of adjustment layers. you can see that in the fire from the lowest arrow where it's contrasted against the background tree.
    I'll find a way to make that all work.
    don't know about more fire, but I'll play with that.

quote Remedy
    Also, suck a digimon.

Dec 08, 14 at 10:37pm
    Remedy

Wow.
    I'm really impress, seriously. Honestly didn't expect you to do this well with photomanipulation.

As Kah stated, the lighting on the left tree is awkward. Fill it completely with black. Do the same to the tree on the far back.
    • The on the tree (the one with the arrow) should be a bit more yellowish red. Right now, it's has too much magenta. Use the selective color tool for that, it'll work wonders.
    • Maybe add a bit more fire effects on the statue.
    Other than that, love it.

Edit: Also, suck a digimon.

Dec 08, 14 at 10:20pm
    Kaharius

Iscariot I may be wrong, but the lighting on the main stock, doesn't seem to match with the lighting on the BG. Especially that big tree on the left hand side. But nice job with the rocks on ground. They're almost perfectly blended in. Except maybe that skull? If it's receiving some light, then that means the tree to it's right should too, right?

Dec 08, 14 at 7:55pm
    Iscariot

well, this thing hasn't been used in a while. let's get this thing back into gear.

I'm working on this piece for the current graphics collage [i](that's round forty, not to be confused with "fourty").

I've been working on this for the past few hours, and I'm pretty burned out at the moment, but I feel like there's something missing, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oct 18, 13 at 1:46pm
    Remedy

You always were talented with graphics. Nice details you have going on, Tom. This is for school too? Looks like you've been enjoying school then .

Edit: Kaharius & kuje, completely forgot about this. If you don't want to bother creating a Digiport or simply aren't ready for it, this is thread you could use to your advantage. Basically, you can post your work and and ask for some comments and advice. Enjoy and sorry!

Oct 18, 13 at 1:02pm
    Tengu

Didn't get to enter either of my shit to the SotW after breaking my hand but it's on the mend now so here are some items from my progress through my last year at Uni so far.

Sorry they're a bit big tehe

FULL SIZE

FULL SIZE