Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » General PSP » [UPDATED]The Super Mega Ultimate Homebrew/Custom Firmware Thread! » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.PSP Media Guide .:: Ultimate Homebrew Guide
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jul 21, 09 at 10:23pmLuigi Panache

Just to clarify, this guide is never finished! In the wonderful world of homebrew, there are always new advances in technology! Ville_Valo gave me the go-ahead to revamp StarJet's old thread. This thread is the new version of it.
Expect a new addition now and then, but most of the guide is finished for now.
You need Winrar to open most of the linked files here.
quote Index

Homebrew, Custom Firmware, Pandora's Battery, etc. Explained

If you've come to this thread, you probably have some interest in "hacking" your PSP. Sadly, most people who want to do this are noobs. It's okay, we all started out with no idea what we were doing. I myself worried a lot when I first cut open my PSP battery to make a Pandora (don't worry, you probably won't have to go that far). You're safe here.

Custom Firmware

Firmware is defined by Simple Wikipedia as "a computer program that is 'embedded' in a hardware device...It can also be provided on flash memory or as a binary image file that can be uploaded onto existing hardware by a user." On your PSP, it's the Operating System. It makes your Games work, it lets you play music and videos, it does a lot of things.

When Sony made the PSP's firmware (and updates to the original) they decided to do a few things that we homebrewers don't like. One big thing is they required all code to be signed. This means that if a person or company made a game they would have to pay Sony a lot of money to get their code signed so it would run on a PSP.

This is fine for big companies, but it is really bad for people who just want to make programs for free. Many good programs like PSPTube and PMP Player cannot be played on most PSPs because the makers cannot afford to get their code signed.

So, many exploits and tricks were found to let people run unsigned programs, dubbed "homebrew" on their PSPs. Sony kept releasing small little security patches to their firmwares to stop the newest exploits and this eventually turned into a race to find new ways to get homebrew to run, and some people released "downgraders" that would let people return to older, homebrew runnable firmwares.

Eventually, Sony figured out one way to get people to upgrade was to make games require files only in the new upgrades. People were unable to play newer games unless they upgraded their firmware, but by doing so would lose their homebrew. Sony sweetened the allure of updates by adding new features to firmwares, like the internet browser.

From this conundrum, Custom Firmware was made. Custom Firmwares contained all the new files that some games required to run, but removed the blocks Sony put on homebrew. It was the best of both worlds.

Pandora's Battery

Before the Pandora Battery, if a person accidentally messed up their firmware they were doomed. A PSP with incorrectly written firmware would not boot up. Pressing the power switch just turned the power light, nothing else. A PSP like this was called "bricked" and was only fixable by Sony. That is, until Sony messed up one day.

One day, Sony accidentally left their special un-bricking tools inside a PSP that was returned to its owner. Upon investigation, it was realized that the PSP checks its battery for a serial number, and certain numbers could do certain things. One serial loaded Firmware from the Memory Stick instead of from the PSP itself, letting you repair a bricked PSP's firmware to normal, or even to Custom Firmware!

The combination of special battery and memory stick is known as the Pandora's Battery and Magic Memory Stick. It runs on all PSPs, but Sony has blocked the newest PSPs from loading unencrypted data. The 3000 and very new Slim models will not work with a Pandora Battery.

Anyway, let's get to actually installing Custom Firmware!

Enabling Homebrew and Installing Custom Firmware

There are two ways to get Custom Firmware, but you need to know your PSP's model. Look here for a guide to the models.

I want to install custom firmware the easy way.

Important! For this method to work, you need to have a firmware at or below 5.03. Otherwise, you're pretty much screwed for right now...
You will be using an exploit called ChickHEN. If you have a TA-088v3 Slim or a PSP 3000, you will need to use it every time you want to run Custom Firmware. How do I know if I have one?

What you will need:

• A PSP
    • Firmware must be at or below 5.03
  • A Mini USB-B cable (Or some other way to get data onto the Memory Stick)
  • A Memory Stick with at least 256 mb
  • A Computer that can move files
  • Patience

Download and Install ChickHEN

1. Download ChickHEN Mod (It runs the smoothest)
  2. Extract the PICTURE and h.bin folder and file to the ROOT of your PSP
  3. Keep your PSP connected to the computer

Download and Install Custom Firmware Enabler

1. Download Custom Firmware Enabler version 3.60
  2. Extract and drag the PSP folder into the ROOT of your Memory Stick; allow all folders to merge
  3. Disconnect the PSP and Turn it off

Install Custom Firmware

1. Turn the PSP on
  2. Go left to the Picture section, choose the Memory Stick
  3. Wait for the little egg icon to load, then press
  4. Be patient, you want to wait for the PSP's XMB (the screen with the waves in the background) to load. It may take a few tries...
  5. Once ChickHEN loads correctly, choose the Memory Stick under the Game section
  6. Choose Custom Firmware Enabler
  7. Once it loads, choose to Install Custom Firmware Modules by pressing
  8. Finally, press to run the Custom Firmware

Whenever You Want to Run Custom Firmware

The ChickHEN method will only work as long as you do not turn your PSP off. When you do turn it off, you will need to open the egg picture, and run Custom Firmware enabler to run custom firmware again.
Still, it will function just like any other custom firmware! (Minus the Recovery Menu)

Try Installing Custom Firmware Permanently

PSP Slims with a motherboard model of TA-088v3 or PSP 3000s cannot automatically boot into Custom Firmware yet. For now, you need to run ChickHEN every time you turn your PSP on. However, many PSPs can still boot into Custom Firmware.
If you're still not entirely sure if your PSP can boot into Custom Firmware, it's okay to follow these steps. The program we will run will stop if it determines that your PSP may not boot Custom Firmware.
  1. Boot into ChickHEN like the above guide instructs, and run Custom Firmware Enabler.
  2. Download and install Hellcat's Recovery Flasher
    1. UnRAR the archive, and copy the RECOVERY folder into your PSP's GAME folder (path will be X:/PSP/GAME/RECOVERY, where X is the drive letter of your PSP)
    2. Download the 5.00 PSP Firmware Update
    3. Rename the file to 500.PBP, and copy it into the RECOVERY Folder you previously copied.
  3. Disconnect the PSP, and go to the Game category.
  4. Choose the Memory Stick, then Choose the Recovery Flasher.
  5. Once it's loaded, choose the Install 5.00 m33-6 option.
    • If you cannot choose this option, you have a TA-088v3 Slim or PSP 3000
  6. Wait until the program finishes, choose to reboot, and you're done!
Have fun with your new Custom Firmware!

My PSP is bricked and I want to fix it, or I'd like to install Custom Firmware the old way.

If your PSP is a Phat, or a Slim that does not have the TA-088v3 motherboard then you can use the Pandora Battery method to get some Custom Firmware on there. This will not work if you have a PSP 3000 or a Slim with a TA-088v3 motherboard.How do I know if I have one?

What you will need:

• A Memory Stick
    • This must be at or over 256 mb
    • Try to use an official Sony or SanDisk Brand Memory Stick, there are many fake ones out there that will not work
    • It must support Magic Gate
  • A PSP
  • An Original PSP Battery
    • This battery will become a Pandora Battery, so be careful
    • If you use the hard-mod method, it will forever be a Pandora Battery
  • A PSP USB Mini-B Cable
  • An Exacto Knife
  • A Windows or Linux-based PC (Sorry Macs...)

Get The Pandora Battery

This is the hardest part of the process, after that it's pretty easy. You can buy a Pandora (also called Tool) Battery Online, you can have a friend with Custom Firmware make one for you (it's built into the latest GEN firmwares) or you can do what I did and cut the battery open.

I or a friend have a PSP with Custom Firmware

1. Download the Pandora Battery Maker (link courtesy of StarJet)
  2. Extract the ospbt_052 folder to your PSP's GAME folder (the path should look like ms0:/PSP/GAME/ospbt_052/EBOOT.PBP, where ms0 is the letter of your PSP's drive)
  3. Disconnect the PSP
  4. Run the Pandora Battery Creator
    1. Go to the Game section
    2. Press
    3. Choose the Pandora Battery Creator
    4. Press again
  5. Choose to back up your battery's EEPROM
  6. Choose to make a Service Mode/Pandora Battery
Your battery is now a Pandora Battery, good job!

I do not have access to a Custom Firmware PSP, or the above steps failed

You will need to hard-mod your battery in this case. Only do this is you have an original, Sony brand Battery. Other batteries may not look exactly like this. If you do not own an original Sony battery, you can purchase a Datel TOOL battery which is a Pandora battery.
You need to first open your Battery. Gently take the Exacto-Knife or other cutting implement and cut through the side of the battery. Be careful! You don't want to cut so deep that you'll puncture the tin casing of the battery, or else you'll ruin it. However, if you go slowly you shouldn't need to worry too much. Once you've worked your way around the battery, plop it open. The shell should come off, and depending on the type of battery (Slim or Phat) you have two possible interiors.

Now tape up the battery and put it aside.

Make the Magic Memory Stick

Next, you will need to make the Magic Memory Stick.
  1. Get Rain's UltraLite Magic Memory Stick Maker.
  2. Extract it to a folder on your computer.
  3. Download the 5.00 PSP Firmware Update and put it into the same folder as Rain's MMS Maker.
  4. Plug your PSP with Memory Stick inserted into the computer, and activate the USB connection.
  5. Open Rain's MMS Maker, choose your PSP from the drop down list, and click the Make MMS! button. If that didn't work , choose the Format Option.
    • Warning! This will delete all data from your Memory Stick, make sure you back up any data you want to save!
Once you've made the Magic Memory Stick, you're almost done!

Finally, Install the Custom Firmware

1. Insert the Magic Memory Stick into the PSP
  2. Insert the Pandora Battery into the PSP
  3. Hold the button
  4. Choose the "Install 5.00 m33" option
  5. Wait for install to Finish
  6. Press or when the installer is done
  7. Enjoy your Custom Firmware!

What model and motherboard version of PSP do I have?

In the homebrew world, it is very important to know what kind of PSP you have. If you don't know the difference between the Phat, Slim, and Brite (3000) then take a look at this thread. But if you want to know what motherboard version you have (given as TA-0XXvX) then follow this guide.
  1. Boot into ChickHEN (there's a section on this above, here.)
  2. Download PSPident v0.4
  3. UnRAR it, connect your PSP to your computer, and copy the PSPident folder to your PSP's GAME folder (path is X:/PSP/GAME/PSPident, where X is the letter of your PSP's drive)
  4. Disconnect your PSP from the computer, and go to the Game category.
  5. Press and select PSPident.
  6. Press again to start up PSPident.
  7. After PSPident boots up, you will see several values. Look for something that looks like TA-0XXvX (the vX part may or may not be there.) That is your motherboard version.

How do I go back to Sony's Official Firmware?

Now, sometimes I get asked this question and I'm not sure how to respond. My first answer isn't an answer at all, it's a question. "Why, after all the work it took to get custom firmware, do you want to go back?" Half of the time the person has a problem that can be solved by updating their PSP to a newer custom firmware, or the person didn't know how to properly use their custom firmware.
The other half of the time, the person has a legitimate reason to go back. Access to the on-PSP PSN store is usually the reason. Even though this gets re-enabled time to time with a new PSP Custom Firmware, it can be a hassle. If you're really sure you want to go back, read on.

Try installing from Sony

This is what you should try first:
  1. Go to Sony's website, follow their guide.
  2. This might not work for a variety of reasons, if it fails look on:
    • If you receive an error telling you your PSP's software is higher than the Sony Update, read on to the next section.
    • If you experience an error during the actual update process, you are royally *bleep*ed. This happening is nigh impossible, and I've never seen or heard of it. If this happens, use the Pandora Battery and Magic Memory Stick method to re-install the firmware.

Try Hellcat's Recovery Flasher

Hellcat's Recovery Flasher has an option to install official firmware, as well as custom firmware.
  1. Download and install Hellcat's Recovery Flasher
    1. UnRAR the archive, and copy the RECOVERY folder into your PSP's GAME folder (path will be X:/PSP/GAME/RECOVERY, where X is the drive letter of your PSP)
    2. Download the 5.00 PSP Firmware Update
    3. Rename the file to 500.PBP, and copy it into the RECOVERY Folder you previously copied.
  2. Disconnect the PSP, and go to the Game category.
  3. Choose the Memory Stick, then Choose the Recovery Flasher.
  4. Once it's loaded, choose the Install 5.00 OFFICIAL option.
  5. Once that finishes, reboot the PSP. Go back to the "Try Installing from Sony" instructions, and run them again to be at the latest official version.
  6. If for whatever reason Hellcat's Recovery Flash fails, try the final method.

Use a Pandora Battery and Magic Memory Stick

This is the final method of going back to official. You'll need to obtain a Pandora Battery and Magic Memory Stick. Look above in the guide for instructions on how to obtain these.
  1. Insert Magic Memory Stick into PSP
  2. Insert Pandora Battery into PSP
  3. Hold and wait for the PSP to load
  4. Choose the "Install 5.00 OFW" or "Install 5.00 Official" option.
  5. Remove Pandora and Magic Memory Stick from PSP, use normal battery to boot again.
  6. Follow the "Try Installing from Sony" instructions, and run them again to be at the latest official version.
[/size]

[color=#666666]This message was edited by Luigi Panache on Nov 24 2010.
[/size]

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 11, 13 at 6:00pm
Leo52

I could install CFW,but thing is hacked with Homebrew Enablers,downgraders and more enabling me to download games to my memory card. I do play homebrews but they are signed...BUT..i did caught a good homebrew game called Lamecraft,which is a Minecraft clone for the PSP.It comes in two versions:unsigned and signed.It won a PSP Genesis competition.To download it just search in Google:Lamecraft and there will appear Lamecraft-Home on search results and when you are in the site click official revs and download Lamecraft OP-30.

Feb 23, 13 at 1:13pm
hiigaran

got my hands on an old psp slim. its a version 3.72. however, im already stuck with trying to install the chickhen mod. the link in the first post is dead, so i googled this. followed the instructions (same as the ones in the OP of this thread). here is my progress so far:

To install the program:

1. Power on the PSP done
2. Connect to the PC via USB. done
3. Open the folder of the PSP and copy the download (in the root of the MS) done
4. Decompress ChickHEN Mod.zip. Answer “Yes” to all replacements. done
5. Now we do a safe extraction of the PSP and switch to PSP now done
6. Press O to cancel USB connection done
7. Go to Photos, down to Memory Stick and press X done
8. Wait for the egg image to load in the ChickHEN Mod square. done
9. When it’s loaded press X (no need for timing here) done
10. DO NOTHING MORE, JUST WAIT nope

If you are successful, you’ll see the green light flashing and it will reboot in the ChickHEN environment. After that, you can now enable the CFW Enabler v1.0. If it doesn’t work, just reset your PSP and go back to step 7.
im looking at the psp right now, and im in the chickhen folder. the first file being ChickHENa. its not frozen, its just there, as if it is any other normal file. you know that soft fade in/fade out glowing effect you see on the thumbnail preview of any normal file under normal circumstances? same thing here. in other words, nothing is happening, nothing out of the ordinary. its just idle.

i doubt im supposed to wait more than a few minutes, but if so, how long should it take?

IMO, something just isnt working on the software end, plain and simple.

Jan 25, 13 at 7:03am
Fortitudo

I used to look at how to put CFW on my PSP and thought it was too complex. Now i got 6.60 PRO B-10 and it was extremely easy.

Anyone know any good apps and where i can get CS:PSP?

Jan 04, 13 at 11:45am
alex aslam

i can't play games on my psp 6.00 i have downgraded it with downgrader v4 and now it couldnt play game atleast release some which can fix my update error and update my psp to 6.60

Jun 30, 12 at 9:03pm
ark angel1

quote Hashim
Ok, thanks.

I've just tried the MSformat method shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CStSHUO1AhE

...and it's still not working. Even worse, using RainsIPLTest seems to have wrecked my memory stick even more: now it's not even bringing up any sort of menu, even with the Pandora battery in. Instead, whenever I insert the memory stick, it actually shuts the power of the PSP off - the green light just goes.

So now this problem has gone from bad to worse. :/ If anyone at all has any idea with regards to what exactly is wrong, and what I can now do to fix both my memory stick and the problem I had with it before, and can run me through it - I'd really really appreciate it, as I need to get this PSP fixed as soon as possible. :/
Did you check you PM I sent the site that I used to hack my PSP if not here's the link you can also use the pre-made MagicMemoryStick that the creator of the tutorial made it works just the same as the one's that you buy online. But as for you MemoryStick I recommend to just format it on your PC don't use MSFormat I've experienced many problems with it during my past hacking use MSPFormat it's better and easier to use now finding it that's gonna have to be your part cause I got mine done from a friend's PC, but before you format you should create a backup of all your saves/bought games and such after that then continue with the given tutorial i linked.

Jun 30, 12 at 9:43am
Hashim

quote ark angel1
quote Hashim
quote ark angel1
Yes luigi's method for making a MMS still works but if you want another way here's one more
Hey mate, thanks for the quick reply.

Just wondering, is that your YouTube vid/account, or are you just linking to it anyway? The reason I ask is becase the actual RAR file he links to in the description seems to be broke ("unexpected end of archive" is the error winRar is throwing up), and I can only see the one EBOOT file in there, nothing else. The "alternative" link listed doesn't work at all, and the third is a MegaUpload one, lol. In short, that tutorial is pretty much useless for me.

Anyway, I should add that, since posting that original message with my question earlier today (well, yesterday now, lol) I did actually go ahead and try Luigi's way to do it via the the UltraLite MMS Maker, AND, I actually got what seemed to be a fully-working MMS from it. The problem is, when I use the MMS and my Pandora to unbrick the PSP and put it back to M33 firmware, the PSP then works, but only if that MMS that I used to unbrick/downgrade it is in the PSP. If it's not, when booted up, the PSP will stay blank with a green power light, just like it's bricked. So, technically unbricked, but virtually still bricked.

I have no idea why I'm getting this problem, and after looking around a little, I seem to be alone in it. It's really odd, and I have wondered whether the MMS + Pandora are actually meant to do that, and the MMS is meant to be used permanently from then on, but then that's ridiculous, right? Once unbricked/downgraded, the PSP should boot and work with all memory sticks and all batteries, as it used to before it was bricked, really, shouldn't it?

Does anyone at all have any clue as to what my issue might be? The only thing I can think of is when actually creating the MMS, I didn't do the format through the Run command - could this be a cause? The MMS itself did actually work as expected, though, so can it really be that, or just something else entirely that I'm missing?

Either way, whatever it is, I really would love some help on the matter. There's no doubt more experienced people on the forum than me, and as I'm very desperately wanting to (fully) unbrick this PSP as soon as possible really, any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hashim
1. No I was just linking it anyways and sorry I'll PM a link to the files that you'll need
2. The problem is that you didn't format your Memory stick that part is NEEDED in order for it to work but on slim you must run msformat
3. No your not alone the same happened for my slim and phat psp just try that and it should work cause it worked for me
Ok, thanks.

I've just tried the MSformat method shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CStSHUO1AhE

...and it's still not working. Even worse, using RainsIPLTest seems to have wrecked my memory stick even more: now it's not even bringing up any sort of menu, even with the Pandora battery in. Instead, whenever I insert the memory stick, it actually shuts the power of the PSP off - the green light just goes.

So now this problem has gone from bad to worse. :/ If anyone at all has any idea with regards to what exactly is wrong, and what I can now do to fix both my memory stick and the problem I had with it before, and can run me through it - I'd really really appreciate it, as I need to get this PSP fixed as soon as possible. :/

Jun 23, 12 at 7:00am
ark angel1

quote Hashim
quote ark angel1
Yes luigi's method for making a MMS still works but if you want another way here's one more

Just wondering, is that your YouTube vid/account, or are you just linking to it anyway? The reason I ask is becase the actual RAR file he links to in the description seems to be broke ("unexpected end of archive" is the error winRar is throwing up), and I can only see the one EBOOT file in there, nothing else. The "alternative" link listed doesn't work at all, and the third is a MegaUpload one, lol. In short, that tutorial is pretty much useless for me.

Anyway, I should add that, since posting that original message with my question earlier today (well, yesterday now, lol) I did actually go ahead and try Luigi's way to do it via the the UltraLite MMS Maker, AND, I actually got what seemed to be a fully-working MMS from it. The problem is, when I use the MMS and my Pandora to unbrick the PSP and put it back to M33 firmware, the PSP then works, but only if that MMS that I used to unbrick/downgrade it is in the PSP. If it's not, when booted up, the PSP will stay blank with a green power light, just like it's bricked. So, technically unbricked, but virtually still bricked.

I have no idea why I'm getting this problem, and after looking around a little, I seem to be alone in it. It's really odd, and I have wondered whether the MMS + Pandora are actually meant to do that, and the MMS is meant to be used permanently from then on, but then that's ridiculous, right? Once unbricked/downgraded, the PSP should boot and work with all memory sticks and all batteries, as it used to before it was bricked, really, shouldn't it?

Does anyone at all have any clue as to what my issue might be? The only thing I can think of is when actually creating the MMS, I didn't do the format through the Run command - could this be a cause? The MMS itself did actually work as expected, though, so can it really be that, or just something else entirely that I'm missing?

Either way, whatever it is, I really would love some help on the matter. There's no doubt more experienced people on the forum than me, and as I'm very desperately wanting to (fully) unbrick this PSP as soon as possible really, any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hashim
1. No I was just linking it anyways and sorry I'll PM a link to the files that you'll need
2. The problem is that you didn't format your Memory stick that part is NEEDED in order for it to work but on slim you must run msformat
3. No your not alone the same happened for my slim and phat psp just try that and it should work cause it worked for me

Jun 22, 12 at 4:25pm
Hashim

quote ark angel1

Thanks,
Hashim

Jun 22, 12 at 1:10pm
ark angel1

quote Hashim
Hi there. It's been quite a while since I've visited this forum, and Im not even sure if this thread is still updated. In the hopes that it is, though - here's my question, I genuinely hope someone can answer it.

I have a bricked PSP Slim which I'm wanting to unbrick. I've got a Pandora/Tool battery which I bought for around $4-5 (roughly £3 in my currency), but I'm needing to make a MMS. My question is - is the guide to make an MMS on Page 1 of this thread, by Luigi back in 2009, still applicable, and will I be alright using it? I'm talking specifically the firmware version here: will I need to update the firmware included in the MMS, or am I fine including the firmware Luigi does in 2009?

Really would be appreciated if I can get this question answered. It's been so long since I've been away from all this, and it's a shame to see that a lot of homebrew around the PSP has just died down, unfortunately. I'm just hoping this isn't the case with this forum.

Thanks,
Hashim

Jun 22, 12 at 10:36am
Hashim

Hi there. It's been quite a while since I've visited this forum, and Im not even sure if this thread is still updated. In the hopes that it is, though - here's my question, I genuinely hope someone can answer it.

I have a bricked PSP Slim which I'm wanting to unbrick. I've got a Pandora/Tool battery which I bought for around $4-5 (roughly £3 in my currency), but I'm needing to make a MMS. My question is - is the guide to make an MMS on Page 1 of this thread, by Luigi back in 2009, still applicable, and will I be alright using it? I'm talking specifically the firmware version here: will I need to update the firmware included in the MMS, or am I fine including the firmware Luigi does in 2009?

Really would be appreciated if I can get this question answered. It's been so long since I've been away from all this, and it's a shame to see that a lot of homebrew around the PSP has just died down, unfortunately. I'm just hoping this isn't the case with this forum.

Thanks,
Hashim