Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » My external hard drive clicking » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jul 18, 09 at 6:32ammrs.mainville

OK i read some of the posts.. I take it by the clicking noise i hear means its dying or is dead... GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have all of my family pictures and music and docs for church on there.. How do i transfer even at this point?? or can I ..please help me find a solution!!!

thank you!!

.... SO SAD!!>>>>>>

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 02, 12 at 10:05pm
E29E

quote mrs.mainville
OK!! So I did the freezing thing.. in the freezer for 2 hrs... It still is clicking and not working.. UNFORTUNATLY i have to send it in and pay to recover my files....

IN RESPONSE TO MY INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL MEMORY =

I do much Video editing and pictures and a ton of music and documents.. that it BOGS down MY INTERNAL computer.. There is no way my regular Computer can hold all that information without bogging it down and make it go way to slow.. BEEN THERE DUN THAT!!!!!! MANY TIMES>>>>
I only used my external was when i need the files out of it!! So NOW i know Ineed a backup for my back up!!! HOW FUN!!! FOUND a lagitamate HD 500GB on ebay.. it's really nice and cheap...

THX everyone for your help... very much appriciated

DID ALOT OF RESEARCH IN 2 DAYS AND TALKED WITH MANY PEOPLE.. GOT MANY OPINIONS.. AND ADVICE

This message was merged with other messages by The Slayer (moderator)

Mod Edit: There is no need to make your text large and red, we can read it just fine when you type normally .
I have the external hard drive this person is talking about, I googled its model number and this thread popped up. I am aware its been dead for over 3 years, but if I stumbled across this thread, someone else might too.

First, moving large files (like movies and documents) will most likely be much, much faster if they're stored on a hard drive inside your computer. This has to do with the different connections. (usb vs sata) If your computer is getting BOGGED DOWN WITH ALL YOUR BIG VIDEOS THAT YOU BEEN DUNN DOING MANY TIMES><><+^#, it probably has something more to do with your cpu and ram, and less with the hard drives.
Also, I heard somewhere that if you stop typing in caps, you can get an order of magnitude better performance from your computer. I don't have much to say about freezing stuff, except be exceedingly careful with condensation.

Jul 21, 09 at 7:19pm
hiigaran

his neoseeker username is Komet, but i dont think hes used it in a long time. i think he got bored and left.

Any rechargeables should be kept recharging till you use it.
ive actually heard a lot of mixed opinions on the charging of li-ion batteries. the two im at a loss between are the opinion that its best to let the charge completely drain in them before recharging them again, and the other one being that it should always be charged as much as possible. which one is correct?

I have drives from Seagate and Western Digital that are 6 years old and still working.
aww man, thats nothing. my late computer of which has served me for 9 years had a seagate with no problems...pity i couldnt say the same for the rest of the hardware

Jul 19, 09 at 9:48pm
Bass Ultra

quote hiigaran
quote BASS ULTRA
quote hiigaran
i dont know. i think his mentality was that electricity works better under colder temperatures because of less resistance...

...then again, this is coming from someone who has gone through 3 desktops, 4 laptops, and 8 psp's
on the bright side, his ps3 is running smoothly
I want to be your friend.

ummm...okay?
No I mean I want to be that guy that gone through 3 desktops, 4 laptops, and 8 psp's. Who is, your friend.

Jul 19, 09 at 7:24pm
Nu Wa Rocks

quote The Slayer
Try freezing it for 12 hours and see if that works. From what I've read, the longer you freeze it, the more time you can get out of it.

quote mrs.mainville
FOUND a lagitamate HD 500GB on ebay.. it's really nice and cheap...
I've never heard of Lagitamate... A random brand name and cheap dont usually go together. If you go with a good, reliable brand, like Seagate or Western Digital, then you may have better luck with drives in the future. I have drives from Seagate and Western Digital that are 6 years old and still working.
I think the OP meant to say 'legitimate" hdd. Also, I keep my normal duracells and energizer in the freezer. It's suppose to help slow the loss of the electrical charge of your battery before you decide to use it, however I have never placed a laptop battery into the freezer. Any rechargeables should be kept recharging till you use it.

Jul 19, 09 at 4:23pm
hiigaran

quote BASS ULTRA
quote hiigaran
i dont know. i think his mentality was that electricity works better under colder temperatures because of less resistance...

...then again, this is coming from someone who has gone through 3 desktops, 4 laptops, and 8 psp's

ummm...okay?

Jul 19, 09 at 5:55am
The Slayer

Try freezing it for 12 hours and see if that works. From what I've read, the longer you freeze it, the more time you can get out of it.

quote mrs.mainville
FOUND a lagitamate HD 500GB on ebay.. it's really nice and cheap...
I've never heard of Lagitamate... A random brand name and cheap dont usually go together. If you go with a good, reliable brand, like Seagate or Western Digital, then you may have better luck with drives in the future. I have drives from Seagate and Western Digital that are 6 years old and still working.

Jul 19, 09 at 5:43am
mrs.mainville

OK!! So I did the freezing thing.. in the freezer for 2 hrs... It still is clicking and not working.. UNFORTUNATLY i have to send it in and pay to recover my files....

IN RESPONSE TO MY INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL MEMORY =

I do much Video editing and pictures and a ton of music and documents.. that it BOGS down MY INTERNAL computer.. There is no way my regular Computer can hold all that information without bogging it down and make it go way to slow.. BEEN THERE DUN THAT!!!!!! MANY TIMES>>>>
I only used my external was when i need the files out of it!! So NOW i know Ineed a backup for my back up!!! HOW FUN!!! FOUND a lagitamate HD 500GB on ebay.. it's really nice and cheap...

THX everyone for your help... very much appriciated

DID ALOT OF RESEARCH IN 2 DAYS AND TALKED WITH MANY PEOPLE.. GOT MANY OPINIONS.. AND ADVICE

This message was merged with other messages by The Slayer (moderator)

Mod Edit: There is no need to make your text large and red, we can read it just fine when you type normally .

Jul 19, 09 at 4:15am
Bass Ultra

quote hiigaran

Jul 18, 09 at 10:17pm
hiigaran

Jul 18, 09 at 10:16pm
The Slayer

...Why did he freeze his laptop battery? I thought freezing any battery pretty much killed it or drained it of power.