Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » Currently Reading Ch.6 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 20, 09 at 2:12pmLight Druid

Continuing from the 5th installment of the thread here.
quote Auron Blade
I just picked up "Running With The Demon"by Terry Brooks, also reading "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz.
quote AvengedAnger
Reading the Power of One... Just finished The Book Thief. Absolutely amazing.
And go!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 06, 15 at 9:09am
Kingy

quote Dantess26
quote Kingy
The Gunslinger by Stephen King, The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, and The Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. I find myself most involved with The Gunslinger, though haha.
You haven't read The Dark Tower series previously? You're in for a treat, one heck of a journey.
Sorry for the late reply, but that's what I'm hoping for! The bigger, the better in my eyes.

Jun 29, 15 at 6:23pm
Fluidity

I gave up on The Pillow Book after somehow making it about halfway through. I find the writing incredibly dry and the author unbearably condescending, but that doesn't change the fact it's a huge piece of Japan's history so I'll likely return to it. The version of the book I bought is disorganized though so I might have to try another.

My next choice was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. I like it a lot and find myself impressed with the amount of thinking it got me doing. It does tend to drag on at parts and I suspect it may be a little over hyped, but I have yet to have anything major explained so my opinion could change.

After this I'll be moving on to Japanese Tales translated by Royall Tyler which is a book I've had for about three years now but never made the time to properly read.

Jun 19, 15 at 12:27pm
Dantess26

quote Kingy
The Gunslinger by Stephen King, The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, and The Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. I find myself most involved with The Gunslinger, though haha.
You haven't read The Dark Tower series previously? You're in for a treat, one heck of a journey.

Jun 19, 15 at 11:49am
Kingy

Jun 16, 15 at 8:30pm
Redemption

I finished The Darksword Trilogy. I felt like I had to slog through it just to read it through the end.

Now I've been reading Dan Simmons Ilium for the past week. I've previously read his Hyperion series which is very well put together but can sometimes feel slow (still an incredible set of books).

Ilium is very interesting so far (I'm about a 3rd of the way through). This is intelligent sci-fi and weaves 3 stories together: There's the story of the Battle of Troy as seen by an outside observer, the story of a far future human civilisation where all art, knowledge, and curiosity has been lost, and the story of distant sentient AI constructs made by long ago humans, some of whom love to discuss ancient human literature. If you like popcorn sci-fi with nothing but action this might not be the best story for you, but if you like being introduced to very well thought out stories that unfold and reveal more and more interesting mysteries I think you will really enjoy this.

Jun 16, 15 at 10:08am
Saeglopur

quote Mister MacPhisto
Saeglopur, sounds like you got a list.

I'm in the same boat and it doesn't help where I'll start one and set it aside for a while.
To be honest, I just haven't had time to read a single book for pleasure for about four years since I started uni, and then was working part-time, and then was studying overseas and so on too. I used to read all the time, and it's been so long since I could just read for the enjoyment of it. I had my last ever exam on 28th May and on 29th May, I started reading LOTR, haha! Just finished that in the last few days, and now I'm 150 pages or so through I Shall Wear Midnight, haha! I'm moving to Thailand in a month though, so then it'll be a case of finding the books online I guess and hopefully reading some samples so I can be satisfied enough to order them in future.

Jun 16, 15 at 10:04am
Mister MacPhisto

Saeglopur, sounds like you got a list.

I'm in the same boat and it doesn't help where I'll start one and set it aside for a while.

Jun 16, 15 at 9:57am
Saeglopur

quote Mister MacPhisto
Saeglopur, good man!

And if you enjoy that I'd suggest Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis.
One at a time, my friend, haha! I want to try and read Dodger first after I Shall Wear Midnight, as that seemed to get pretty good reviews, and I'm trying to finish off the newer books before going back and running through the old when I get a chance.

Jun 16, 15 at 9:54am
Mister MacPhisto

Saeglopur, good man!

And if you enjoy that I'd suggest Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis.

Jun 16, 15 at 9:53am
Saeglopur

quote Mister MacPhisto
Saeglopur do eet!

Gaiman cowrites and basically the Apocalypse is a comedy of errors.
Yeah, I've just been reading the synopsis on Wiki to get an idea, haha! Sounds good - I'll have to put it down on my mental to do list somewhere at least.