Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.

hideOriginal Post

Jun 20, 09 at 2:12pmLight Druid

Continuing from the 5th installment of the thread here.
quote Auron Blade
I just picked up "Running With The Demon"by Terry Brooks, also reading "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz.
quote AvengedAnger
Reading the Power of One... Just finished The Book Thief. Absolutely amazing.
And go!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 19, 14 at 5:31am
Dragoon

Still reading A Dance with Dragons but the end is in sight, ~300 more pages to go!

After this I'm going to resume reading Way of Kings, and by that I mean start again at the beginning since I can't remember what has happened since dropping it to resolve to catch up with ASOIAF. Then after that read its sequel, Words of Radiance. The plan from then is less clear, I mean to go on to the Kingkiller chronicles and read some of this Divergent and Maze Runner series people are raving about. After that, most likely back to Sanderson for Elantris and Warbreaker.

Apr 13, 14 at 11:05am
Chris

Dantess26 I'm looking forward to the Wilbur Smith one. I've recently read Elephant Song which I thought was phenomenal and is why I picked up River God.

Went down the town yesterday and popped into a charity shop which had books going for 20p each. I couldn't resist. Here's what I bought;

Quite a few authors there that I haven't read before. Class A I picked up to add to my growing Cherub series. I've read it before, years ago. I'm looking forward to reading the Tolkien book too.
There were tons of books in that store so I'll be heading back very soon. :>

Apr 13, 14 at 5:57am
Dantess26

quote Dragoon
Demonata > Darren Shan series

Lord Loss makes for a much more interesting villain, and the DSS doesn't really get interesting until the last couple of books.
quote Chris
I do like the way the DSS is written. The first book is a very dark opening to the series and it's a real shame they *bleep*ed up the movie adaptation. That's why I don't want them anywhere near the Demonata series. Imagine a 12 rated film series. Just no.

Lord Loss is one of my favourite fictional villains to date. The theme of chess which carries on through the series was really interesting too.

Agreed on the Lord Loss point. Everybody that I know that has read Shan's work has said that Lord Loss is one of their favourite villains of all time, and rightly so!

Series-wise, I still prefer The Saga of Darren Shan though! I disagree with it only getting interesting toward the last two books- could you elucidate on why you think it picks up on the last two? I love the fact that the Vampire Saga is split up into four separate trilogies, or at least that's how I read them... the Vampire Blood Trilogy, Vampire Rites Trilogy, Vampire War Trilogy and the Vampire Destiny. I like the way that the series was distinctly separated into those periods of Darren's adventures.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vampire-Blood-Trilogy-Saga-Darren-ebook/dp/B008IX5XTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397393550&sr=8-1&keywords=darren+shan+vampire+blood+trilogy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vampire-Trilogy-Saga-Darren-Shan-ebook/dp/B008IWZ7VO/ref=pd_sim_kinc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YJ2SYZ44EECNJEE24D7

For me the Demonata got really stale towards the end. With books 7, 8 and 9 all telling the same part from different perspectives it really slowed the series down and it doesn't live up to the epic seeds that were sown at the beginning of the series. I guess it's the execution of the story, not necessarily the story itself.

Chris, you should definitely finish the Vampire Saga though- it really takes some different turns later on! Also, let me know how the Wilbur Smith goes!

Apr 11, 14 at 3:14pm
Chris

I do like the way the DSS is written. The first book is a very dark opening to the series and it's a real shame they *bleep*ed up the movie adaptation. That's why I don't want them anywhere near the Demonata series. Imagine a 12 rated film series. Just no.

Lord Loss is one of my favourite fictional villains to date. The theme of chess which carries on through the series was really interesting too.

Apr 11, 14 at 1:15pm
Dragoon

Demonata > Darren Shan series

Lord Loss makes for a much more interesting villain, and the DSS doesn't really get interesting until the last couple of books.

Apr 11, 14 at 12:28pm
Chris

Dantess26 The Demonata series is still my favourite but I've only read the first couple in the original vampire series. I haven't managed to read any of Shan's other books apart from Ocean of Blood in the Larten Crepsley series (which I thought was fantastic).

I managed to meet Shan at my local book store last year which was cool. Wasn't able to bring along my Demonata books so it's just the two Larten books that I have signed by him.

Picked up a few more books from a charity shop today to add to my ever growing 'to read' pile.

Apr 11, 14 at 9:28am
Dantess26

quote Chris

Giving this a re-read. Started in the early hours of this morning and have nearly finished it already. xD The Darren Shan series is one that I never got into much. I preferred the Demonata series. Nevertheless I'm enjoying it the second time around. I have the second vampire book but may have to look into picking up the rest at some point.
I did my third re-read of the Vampire Saga a couple of years ago. The Demonata, more specifically Lord Loss, was actually the book that started off my love for horror and fantasy way back in my early teens. Actually scared the living daylights out of me!

Good to see others appreciating Darren Shan's work on Neo! Have you read his other works? The City Trilogy is absolutely stunning work!

quote Mouldy Cheese
Words of Radiance is fulfilling all my literary needs!
SO GOOD OMG I CAN'T STOP READING IT ;_;
Haha, I thought Words of Radiance was very fulfilling aswell. Such a well rounded story, lots of characters and plot threads and twists but all woven together perfectly.

As I said over in the Brandon Sanderson threads, I started the Mistborn series and I'm just as spellbound by that. This guy's talent has no end!

Apr 11, 14 at 1:04am
Mouldy Cheese

Words of Radiance is fulfilling all my literary needs!
SO GOOD OMG I CAN'T STOP READING IT ;_;

Icarus Abides

Apr 09, 14 at 10:31pm
Duncan Idaho

quote MJ The Unrelenting
Reading Dune for the moment, I think Duncan Idaho has heard of it.

Its twice as long as any book I've ever read but I like a challenge.
Fan of the original series, dont bother with what Brian Herbert wrote, it cannot be compared to Frank Herbert work, not to mention large contradictions abound in the midquel books.

Apr 09, 14 at 10:16pm
MJ The Unrelenting

Reading Dune for the moment, I think Duncan Idaho has heard of it.

Its twice as long as any book I've ever read but I like a challenge.