Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » Currently Reading Ch.6 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 20, 09 at 2:12pmLight Druid

Continuing from the 5th installment of the thread here.
quote Auron Blade
I just picked up "Running With The Demon"by Terry Brooks, also reading "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz.
quote AvengedAnger
Reading the Power of One... Just finished The Book Thief. Absolutely amazing.
And go!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 31, 14 at 11:18pm
Dragoon

quote Mouldy Cheese
quote Dragoon
Should probably update y'all. Finished Warbreaker about two weeks ago and have since been reading Words of Radiance. About 65% of the way through it now, and as usual with Sanderson, loving every minute of it.
*Anxiously awaits the "wtf/omg" moment*

Haha, I finished it yesterday and IcarusAbides got the brunt of my "wtf"-age. I'm glad you both made me read Warbreaker beforehand though it certainly added to all the questions I had at the end, as if there weren't enough of those already =P

Jul 31, 14 at 4:23pm
Mouldy Cheese

quote Dragoon
Should probably update y'all. Finished Warbreaker about two weeks ago and have since been reading Words of Radiance. About 65% of the way through it now, and as usual with Sanderson, loving every minute of it.
*Anxiously awaits the "wtf/omg" moment*

I know what you mean about a break. Binge reading any one genre is a great way to get sick of it. You'll probably need a break after WoR, if you're anything like me xD Took me a freakin' week to stop thinking about it and jump into something new.

I am currently reading Poison Study, which is super average. I mean, it's not terrible, but it's a bit too light and fluffy and the author tends to "info dump" like a madperson. Which is all well and good when it ties into the story but here it has more of the effect of being randomly placed and really blatantly foreshadows later events. For example, in one section it was like "He was like a cat, no...not a cat. He was more like a snow cat. These deadly beasts were discovered shortly after [event]. [long description of appearance of snow cat] [discussion about how deadly they are and how nobody has ever killed one]"
So yeah...kinda obvious that at some point the main character is going to go kill a freakin' snow cat. It's a bit too much in your face obviousness.

Jul 30, 14 at 9:07am
Dragoon

Liklihood is going on to Kingkiller Chronicles after this but I recently purchased Dune so maybe a break from Epic Fantasy is required... and enter Epic Sci-fi. =o

Jul 27, 14 at 7:15pm
Chrono

quote Mouldy Cheese
I picked up The Hot Zone the other day to read on the plane; thought I'd make a change from fantasy to thriller for a little while. I mistakenly thought that this book was fictional. About half way through it, I found out it's all true which makes it all the more terrifying. Stephen King said it's the scariest book he's ever read and I'd have to agree. What makes it worse is that I google about Ebola and there's currently the worst outbreak ever taking place. oh gosh. oh gosh. oh gosh.

I recommend it. It's interesting and I think the more people who are aware of what to do/what not to do if there's an outbreak the better. It seems a little bit like some of the events have been a tad sensationalised with the writing. And there's a lot of miscellaneous back story of which some sections are completely irrelevant. For example, at one point it tells of a near miss but goes into the woman's background, where she got married, what her children are like, the pets they keep at home...kinda unneeded. I started skipping those sections about half way through.

Scariest book I've ever read for sure. Insanely good. High school history teacher lent me it and it freaked me out.

Just finished No Country for Old Men and am now reading through The Road. Reading through the few McCarthy books I haven't gotten to yet. Nothing will best Blood Meridian though.

Just finished The Road now onto Gone Girl. Pretty fantastic so far. Expertly written without a doubt.

Jul 18, 14 at 5:34pm
Mouldy Cheese

I picked up The Hot Zone the other day to read on the plane; thought I'd make a change from fantasy to thriller for a little while. I mistakenly thought that this book was fictional. About half way through it, I found out it's all true which makes it all the more terrifying. Stephen King said it's the scariest book he's ever read and I'd have to agree. What makes it worse is that I google about Ebola and there's currently the worst outbreak ever taking place. oh gosh. oh gosh. oh gosh.

I recommend it. It's interesting and I think the more people who are aware of what to do/what not to do if there's an outbreak the better. It seems a little bit like some of the events have been a tad sensationalised with the writing. And there's a lot of miscellaneous back story of which some sections are completely irrelevant. For example, at one point it tells of a near miss but goes into the woman's background, where she got married, what her children are like, the pets they keep at home...kinda unneeded. I started skipping those sections about half way through.

Jul 08, 14 at 12:15pm
Amen

currently reading.. deviant: the shocking true story of ed gein, the original psycho.

hate the fact the author refers ed as eddie or rambles on about non related bullshot.

Jul 08, 14 at 9:16am
Dantess26

quote Chris
I should probably look at reading a Sanderson novel. They keep appearing in the recommended section on my 'goodreads' page.

I'm currently reading my first Stephen King novel, The Talisman. I've actually been pretty lazy with it since starting it earlier this week but I've been so damn busy and when I haven't been, I've crashed out for the night. I'm about 60 pages in and it's been pretty gripping thus far.
Yeah do it! We're all crazy about Sanderson here! I started with The Way of Kings before going back and going through the Mistborn trilogy (enjoyed it immensely), and now in the middle of reading Words of Radiance (the sequel to Way of Kings). Definitely my favourite author of late.

Also, I love The Talisman. I'm a big Stephen King fan, probably my all time favourite author. The sequel to The Talisman was also quite good, but didn't quite have the charm that the first part has.

Jul 07, 14 at 3:09pm
IcarusAbides

quote Mouldy Cheese
quote IcarusAbides
quote Dragoon
The Way of Kings is now finished and, by request of IcarusAbides and Mouldy Cheese, I'm not going straight into the sequel, Words of Radiance, instead I'm starting Warbreaker!
At least you're doing what you're told finally
I think we hammered it into him pretty hard, lol.

I am also reading Warbreaker right now! For the er...fifth-ish time? My copy is looking pretty battered :S

Such a great book though, one of my absolute faves and Lightsong

Jul 07, 14 at 2:32pm
Mouldy Cheese

quote IcarusAbides
quote Dragoon
The Way of Kings is now finished and, by request of IcarusAbides and Mouldy Cheese, I'm not going straight into the sequel, Words of Radiance, instead I'm starting Warbreaker!
I think we hammered it into him pretty hard, lol.

I am also reading Warbreaker right now! For the er...fifth-ish time? My copy is looking pretty battered :S

Jul 07, 14 at 12:50pm
IcarusAbides

quote Dragoon