Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » Currently Reading Ch.6 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 20, 09 at 2:12pmLight Druid

Continuing from the 5th installment of the thread here.
quote Auron Blade
I just picked up "Running With The Demon"by Terry Brooks, also reading "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz.
quote AvengedAnger
Reading the Power of One... Just finished The Book Thief. Absolutely amazing.
And go!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 21, 14 at 3:09pm
Yukari

Finished 2001, now I have to return to the beautiful mess of a book that is Only Revolutions. Have a few days off from school so I'm think of rereading House of Leaves to prepare my brain, hehe.

Oct 20, 14 at 4:00pm
Chris

Oct 19, 14 at 3:28am
Chris

quote Mouldy Cheese
Chris Angel Blade

I hope you guys still like it! The first book was alright, but if you don't enjoy it, it doesn't improve xP

I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm just over 100 pages in now and have just left off with Thomas stepping out of the Glades and into the Maze to help Minho and Alby.

Oct 18, 14 at 5:06pm
Mouldy Cheese

Chris Angel Blade

I hope you guys still like it! The first book was alright, but if you don't enjoy it, it doesn't improve xP

Oct 17, 14 at 6:20pm
billyamaysed

Just finished "The Mist" by Stephen King. He did a great job with it, but not the very best book I ever read

Oct 17, 14 at 11:24am
Chris

I've recently bought The Maze Runner despite reading Mouldy Cheese 's post beforehand. I'll see what I think about it and maybe delve into the rest in the series. I also bought a new Wilbur Smith book. I really shouldn't be buying more books. I have enough to read as it is. xD

I'm still working my way through Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. I've just hit the 2 week + mark with reading it so I really want to get finished asap. It's been a really interesting read though and it's been amazing to follow the experiences of soldiers within Easy company whilst fighting in France, Africa and Germany.

Oct 16, 14 at 4:18pm
Angel Blade

quote Mouldy Cheese
Just finished the Maze Runner trilogy. Yes. All of them.

And it was an entirely big piece of klunk.
Haha, well that's comforting, because I'm currently reading The Maze Runner. :P

I read it before when it first came out and liked it, but never went on to the following books for whatever reason. I just recently watched The Maze Runner in the theater so I decided to give the series another shot. I'm almost finished and about to move onto The Scorch Trials.

Oct 14, 14 at 6:58pm
Mouldy Cheese

Just finished the Maze Runner trilogy. Yes. All of them.

And it was an entirely big piece of klunk.

The first book was okay! It was an interesting concept with good characterisation and a fun pace. The second book was alright, although completely lost itself towards the end. There was a whole betrayal thing set up that you knew was coming and then when it did it seemed totally pointless and illogical. And then we got a whole lot of ZERO as an explanation for why it "had" to happen?

Don't get me started on the last book. It was just plain boring. The only reason I read it was because I mistakenly believed it might make up for the previous two with some awesome explanation. Nope. Not even close.

It was as if the author had a whole bunch of "awesome" ideas he kept coming up with and wanted to put in there. Problem being that he had no way of tying them all together and half of them ended up abandoned and unexplained in the process. The ending felt like such a cop-out and a gratuitous use of deus ex machina.

Ugh.

Oct 02, 14 at 6:52pm
Dragonmaiden

I'm reading The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer. I've read it about 13 times before, so I guess it's pretty good...It's set in A.D. 793. It's about a boy who is apprenticed to the village Bard, and one day the boy and his sister get captured by berzerkers. It sounds crappy, but.. (*.*)...it's really good.

Oct 02, 14 at 6:39pm
Mouldy Cheese

Oh hey, I've read a crapload of books since I last posted in this thread

Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay
It was alright. I felt the same about Tigana as I did about The Lions of Al Rassan (the other Kay book I've read); an interesting story and interesting characters but little care factor. I just...didn't really care all that much about them, with the exception of Dianora. For one, the main group of characters are hell bent on restoring their city and are willing to kill thousands to do that and reap revenge? Ehhh...And to add to that, one of the main characters practically abandons everything he's ever worked for to set off on this quest even though he didn't even know about it until FIVE MINUTES AGO.
2/5

Maze Runner - James Dashner
I was listening to Dashner talking on a podcast (writing excuses) a while back and thought I'd give his books a try (plus, after Tigana I was in the mood for some easy, refreshing YA). Overall I thought it was a bit meh. Super interesting concept and I was intrigued, for the most part, but it went a bit far on the ridiculousness scale for me to take it seriously.
3/5

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
Oh man. Words cannot express how awesome this book was. I watched the movie of it years ago and thought the book might be a bit stuffy. Boy was I wrong! Everything is set up so neatly and, even when things don't go quite the way he planned, the count just colossally bitchslaps everyone who ever wronged him in oh-so satisfying a manner. This has shot right up there into my top 5 favourites of all time.
5/5

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
Ehhh. I listened to the audiobook of this while at work and, while I thought it was pretty interesting it didn't grip me. The thing that annoyed me the most was all the allusions to sex. The main character is always going on about how he hasn't done it for ages and his desire is driving him crazy. But this isn't a consistent thing in the book. It's like it was just peppered in there X amount of times to remind people how lonely he is. I did like the ending, but that was about all I enjoyed.
2/5

Alloy of Law - Brandon Sanderson
Sanderson can do no wrong <3
5/5

Throne of Glass - Sarah J Maas
I thought this was going to be some fluffy, light fantasy and, to a degree it was, but it went a little further than what I was expecting. It actually had quite decent character development and each character had a distinctive "voice" when we swapped to their perspective. However, it did fall into the trap of being romance first and fantasy second. The main character, supposedly the best assassin in the whole world, spent an exorbitant amount of time trying on dresses and talking about different clothes than actually being badass. The book constantly tries to remind you just how badass she is by referring to her as "the assassin" or "Adarlan's assassin" as if all the fluffy dresses and fancy hairdos cloud the reader's mind into forgetting. She certainly doesn't do much assassin-ing throughout the entire book.

And, of course, she's so attractive that every man and his dog is in love with her immediately. No...seriously. There's a few parts with dogs and they're all instantly attached to her. I know all this sounds rather negative, ha, but I did actually enjoy it a fair bit. I opened the book looking for a light-hearted, romantic, fantasy based action and that's pretty much exactly what I got.
3/5