Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » Currently Reading Ch.6 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 20, 09 at 2:12pmLight Druid

Continuing from the 5th installment of the thread here.
quote Auron Blade
I just picked up "Running With The Demon"by Terry Brooks, also reading "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz.
quote AvengedAnger
Reading the Power of One... Just finished The Book Thief. Absolutely amazing.
And go!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 08, 14 at 3:46pm
Fluidity

quote Mouldy Cheese
quote Fluidity
Next I have to finish The Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick. :>
How do you find his writing? I've got Ghost in the Wires on my bookshelf waiting to be read, but it keeps getting bumped down by other things.
It's decent. I'm reading more for the subject matter than I am the writing style in this case. It's very informative but I did find it hard to stay interested after chapter 6 or so. In fact I pushed it back and am reading The Scarlet Letter now instead. xD

Dec 07, 14 at 7:26pm
Mouldy Cheese

quote Fluidity
Next I have to finish The Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick. :>
How do you find his writing? I've got Ghost in the Wires on my bookshelf waiting to be read, but it keeps getting bumped down by other things.

I just finished Anna Karenina. I liked the story well enough, but it got pretty hard at times. Tolstoy seems to love having his characters go on long rants about societal politics and religion for chapters on end and I'm just not overly interested in that sort of thing. Still, I'm glad I read it and I can check "Tolstoy" off my list, now!

I also read Shades of Milk and Honey which is advertised as Jane Austin meets fantasy. It was only okay. I kept expecting more from it, but it was exactly as the advertised description so I can't be too upset with that.

I'm currently finishing off the Lies of Locke Lamora. The last time I left off turned out to be about 15 pages before from some super intense, game changing shit went down. I'm loving this book.

Dec 04, 14 at 8:29pm
Fluidity

In the past week I've started and finished:

• Strong in the Rain by Lucy Birmingham and David McNeill
  • Rurouni Kenshin: Voyage to the Moon World by Nobuhiro Watsuki and Kaoru Shizuka
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell

I'm trying hard to finish the books I've started over the past few years since this is the first time in a while I'm getting crazy enjoyment out of reading. Despite this week being dead week of my hardest semester, I somehow made time to read these among everything else, although to be fair they were all quick and easy reads. Next I have to finish The Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick. :>

• Nov 30, 14 at 5:32am
    Frazzle

quote Fluidity
    Frazzle: Thank you for the recommendation; I'll definitely add it to my list.
    No worries, you're welcome. Also, John Man has a book called "Samurai", that focuses more on the end of that era and on the life of Saigo Takamori, the guy who committed seppuku like Yoshimitsu. I only remember because the name of the author is so easy to memorise, but actually I was checking out books in Waterstones and they have lots of good reading material for that era of World History.

I wish you luck on your voyage.

Nov 29, 14 at 5:22pm
    Fluidity

Frazzle: Thank you for the recommendation; I'll definitely add it to my list.

Nov 29, 14 at 1:58pm
    Frazzle

quote Fluidity
    quote Frazzle
    Hey have you read about the time when Japan was sealed off from the rest of the World by Samurai rulers? 1641 - 1853.
    I've read books and have taken classes that mentioned it and how it ended with Commodore Perry but I never read a book that focused on it. Why, do you have a recommendation?

"Ninja" by John Man touches on the subject.

Nov 29, 14 at 1:56pm
    Fluidity

quote Frazzle
    Hey have you read about the time when Japan was sealed off from the rest of the World by Samurai rulers? 1641 - 1853.
    I've read books and have taken classes that mentioned it and how it ended with Commodore Perry but I never read a book that focused on it. Why, do you have a recommendation?

Nov 28, 14 at 3:51pm
    Frazzle

quote Fluidity
    I just finished Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation by Michael Zielenziger. It was the first non-fiction I've read for myself in a long time and I thoroughly enjoyed the topic and the author's polished writing style.

I've now moved on to Strong in the Rain by Lucy Birmingham and David McNeill which covers personal accounts from the 2011 Tohoku tsunami and Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. It's a powerful read, kind of hard for me at times, but this is something I want to learn more about since it brought my sensei to the US.

Gotta become educated for when I finally make it to Japan.

I recently read Charles Darwin Voyage of the Beagle. But only half way through the book.

Nov 28, 14 at 1:04pm
    Fluidity

I just finished Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation by Michael Zielenziger. It was the first non-fiction I've read for myself in a long time and I thoroughly enjoyed the topic and the author's polished writing style.

I've now moved on to Strong in the Rain by Lucy Birmingham and David McNeill which covers personal accounts from the 2011 Tohoku tsunami and Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. It's a powerful read, kind of hard for me at times, but this is something I want to learn more about since it brought my sensei to the US.

Gotta become educated for when I finally make it to Japan.

Nov 23, 14 at 8:16am
    Chrono

Just finished Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. It's a collection of short stories all centered around the same narrator written in first person. There isn't a single slice of anything resembling a thriller here and yet these stories read faster than anything I have ever read before. At sentence level Johnson is outstanding and at a character level he's even better. It's weird. His prose jumps from poetic-esque lyricism to gritty realism with the snap of a finger.

Anyways, one of the best collections of short stories I've ever read. Hands down.

Also just finished All The Pretty Horses after having it on my bedside dresser for far too long. A fantastic novel from a fantastic writer. Maybe not McCarthy's best novel, but it might be my favorite. The sentences here are intimidating but perfect. It's the kind of book that makes me never want to write ever again.

Now! I'm currently reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. I read the first 25 pages of Haunted earlier this year and then misplaced my book (I'm an idiot) so this is really my first real read of Chuck's work. I'm liking it so far. I'll update back here when I'm finished.