Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » Currently Reading Ch.6 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 20, 09 at 2:12pmLight Druid

Continuing from the 5th installment of the thread here.
quote Auron Blade
I just picked up "Running With The Demon"by Terry Brooks, also reading "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz.
quote AvengedAnger
Reading the Power of One... Just finished The Book Thief. Absolutely amazing.
And go!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 23, 14 at 8:16am
Chrono

Just finished Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. It's a collection of short stories all centered around the same narrator written in first person. There isn't a single slice of anything resembling a thriller here and yet these stories read faster than anything I have ever read before. At sentence level Johnson is outstanding and at a character level he's even better. It's weird. His prose jumps from poetic-esque lyricism to gritty realism with the snap of a finger.

Anyways, one of the best collections of short stories I've ever read. Hands down.

Also just finished All The Pretty Horses after having it on my bedside dresser for far too long. A fantastic novel from a fantastic writer. Maybe not McCarthy's best novel, but it might be my favorite. The sentences here are intimidating but perfect. It's the kind of book that makes me never want to write ever again.

Now! I'm currently reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. I read the first 25 pages of Haunted earlier this year and then misplaced my book (I'm an idiot) so this is really my first real read of Chuck's work. I'm liking it so far. I'll update back here when I'm finished.

Nov 20, 14 at 8:06pm
Dragonmaiden

I'm now reading Dragonlance, Dragons of Spring Dawning.....I have read it before, as well as the previous three, but I decided to read them for a fourth time.

Nov 18, 14 at 1:25am
Mouldy Cheese

Just Finished
Alright, the sequels to "The Strain" ("The Fall" and "The Night Eternal") were kinda average. Not nearly as terrifying as the first in the series, but not terrible either. Unfortunately pretty much all of the characters remained very 1 dimensional. Even though The Night Eternal adds some more depth to the female lead, she still remains very much in a"I'm just here to add a feminine opinion" role.
3/5 for both the sequels.

Currently Reading
Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. This is one of my Dad's favourite books and I picked it up as a "penguin classic" for $10 before getting on a flight. About half way through so far and quite enjoying it. I like how it goes into more specifics than a usual "disaster" book. It explains how people are trying to survive and "get back to normal" rather than just ignoring the populace almost entirely and chasing after the main characters.

In Progress
Anna Karenina - Still sitting at 70%ish of the way through. Hoping to polish off the audiobook this week so I can watch the movie! (walnuts)
Lives of Tao- Likely to be the next book I'll pick up and finish off. I've enjoyed the 5 chapters I've read but keep getting sidetracked by other books!
The Lies of Locke Lamora - Very much want to finish this one too!
Wizard's First Rule- Very meh. I'm quite tempted to abandon it, to be honest.

Other Contendors
Altered Carbon- I was excited to read this after buying it but then my dad stole it off me >>
Blood Song- Okay,so technically I DID start reading this, but I only got through the prologue and hadn't gotten into any proper story. It's a favourite of my soon-to-be brother in law, so I feel a bit obliged to get on with it!

Nov 08, 14 at 5:10pm
Chris

Recently finished reading Dead Scared by Sharon Bolton. It's a crime thriller about a string of suicides over the course of five years at a university. It was a fairly good read and I gave it 3/5 stars on Goodreads.

I'm now reading The Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler.

Nov 04, 14 at 3:10pm
Mouldy Cheese

quote Willow
Doesn't help that I don't know who or what most of the people she mentions are because they're all Australian political figures. A case of perseverance and making myself read this one.
Hah, I doubt that even locals would know half of the political figures either, if that's any consolation!

I just read "The Strain" by Guillermo del toro & Chuck Hogan. This is the second book this year that I've read expecting it to be about a fictional disease/virus that takes over the world and then turn out not to be that. It was pretty good though. The characters were completely generic and the main love interest was just a random female who pretty much did nothing other than gasp, hold items for the rest of the group and be ladylike enough to break up the sausagefest. So that was pretty disappointing.

All in all 4/5 stars. I'm reading the sequel now!

Oct 28, 14 at 5:01am
Willow

Julia Gillards autobiography - it's a big read and is very dry and matter of fact so I think this one's going to take me some time. Doesn't help that I don't know who or what most of the people she mentions are because they're all Australian political figures. A case of perseverance and making myself read this one.

Oct 21, 14 at 3:09pm
Yukari

Finished 2001, now I have to return to the beautiful mess of a book that is Only Revolutions. Have a few days off from school so I'm think of rereading House of Leaves to prepare my brain, hehe.

Oct 20, 14 at 4:00pm
Chris

Oct 19, 14 at 3:28am
Chris

quote Mouldy Cheese
Chris Angel Blade

I hope you guys still like it! The first book was alright, but if you don't enjoy it, it doesn't improve xP

I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm just over 100 pages in now and have just left off with Thomas stepping out of the Glades and into the Maze to help Minho and Alby.

Oct 18, 14 at 5:06pm
Mouldy Cheese

Chris Angel Blade

I hope you guys still like it! The first book was alright, but if you don't enjoy it, it doesn't improve xP