Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » Currently Reading Ch.6 » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Jun 20, 09 at 2:12pmLight Druid

Continuing from the 5th installment of the thread here.
quote Auron Blade
I just picked up "Running With The Demon"by Terry Brooks, also reading "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz.
quote AvengedAnger
Reading the Power of One... Just finished The Book Thief. Absolutely amazing.
And go!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 6, 16 at 4:20pm
Virtue

Finished A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome and The Emperor Far Away since my last update; both were good for a quick, easy read but overall nothing spectacular. A bit disappointed in the latter due to the really obvious journalistic bias present in the text, but I should have seen that coming.

While I work through the Tale of Genji I decided to pick up Without You, There is No Us: Uncover Among the Sons of North Korea's Elite by Suki Kim. I'm about halfway through and so far this is easily one of the best stories I've ever read. Maybe it's cause it has to do with teaching so I can relate, but the book has definitely changed my perspective of education in my own country. Highly recommended to anyone interested in getting a truncated, first-hand view of a secluded culture.

Dec 2, 16 at 8:38am
Jabba Overkill

Finished A Clockwork Orange and now started The Trial by Kafka. Will update in the threads soon.

Nov 29, 16 at 6:28pm
Kaharius

Oh, I loved A Tale of Two Cities. Did you know that this is another one of Dickens' books that has some sort of autobiographical material in it?

I've just picked up a couple of Arthur Hailey books from the library, Overload and In High Places. Will look to finish both by this weekend, if I have the time.

Nov 27, 16 at 11:58am
Fluidity

quote SuperSmashBrosSS
Check out The Graveyard Book, that's my favourite by him. I haven't read American Gods but I know the style is a lot different to his other books.
Will do! I heard Stardust and Anansi Boys are good too. I've only managed to read the first two volumes of Sandman but it's not gripping me like I expected and overall seems messy. It's still the beginning of the series and I was warned of a slow start but I guess we'll see.

In terms of my other reading, I finally finished Martin A. Lee's Smoke Signals. By far the most comprehensive, well written and well sourced book on cannabis I've read. Incredible insight on the fallacies of the War on Drugs and the hard fought battle to get where we are today. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the topic though it's extremely dense.

I always have to finish books I start but have temporarily dropped Daring Greatly by Brené Brown that was recommended to me by work's book club. Didn't grip me at all, perhaps because I'm getting sick of women's self help books as their recommendations.

Next on my list is The Cannabis Manifesto by Steve DeAngelo and if I get time for some fiction, A Tale of Two Cities is next.

Nov 23, 16 at 5:43am
Jabba Overkill

Sounds great Saeglopur! We could use some heavy readers around here. Any help with this will be appreciated.

Nov 23, 16 at 5:39am
Saeglopur

quote Jabba Overkill
Well done Saeglopur! We have a huge Discworld discussion if you care to revive it and see who has been reading these.

Cheers, Jabba - it's been years since I came in here, mainly because I had four years or so at university where I didn't really have time to read anything except what I was researching for essays and so on. It's been so good to get back to my old ways of reading for pleasure. I used to get through so many, particularly in the summer, and I think this year, I must have read 25-30 books so far. Only just remembered I should pop back into the forum and carry on talking about it, haha! I was having a big Middle Earth session at the end of last year and the start of this one anyway, where I read through LOTR in about two weeks (not sure how because it used to take me months, but I suppose I was just enjoying reading a story again, haha), then went through things like The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales for the first time, which was kind of interesting. Once that was done, I started up my Discworld-a-thon, and I've been going on that ever since, haha! It all kind of reads like one continuous story anyway, just with each book like a chapter, so it's easy to just keep going. I always loved his style of writing and witty humour anyway, so it's been good fun so far. It'll be sad when I get to the end though, I'm sure. Making up for lost time though.

Nov 23, 16 at 4:44am
Jabba Overkill

Well done Saeglopur! We have a huge Discworld discussion if you care to revive it and see who has been reading these.

Nov 23, 16 at 4:36am
Saeglopur

Been on a mission since the start of the summer to read through all the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett as I'd only read about a dozen or so before. I'm up to Jingo now, which is Book 21 (of 41), so I'm about halfway through as a whole series. I've read most of the books from about 28 onwards though so I'm enjoying the completely new books I've got left.

Nov 21, 16 at 9:37am
Morse

quote Seldom
quote Seldom
I finally decided to start reading the Witcher books by Andrzej Sapkowski. Started with The Last Wish .

Only a chapter in but so far it's excellent. I really dig the Witcher universe/lore, so i may be reading it through a slight rose tint.
Never actually got around to finishing this, I really need to.
Good luck! One of my favourite author.

Nov 13, 16 at 7:03am
Seldom

quote Seldom
I finally decided to start reading the Witcher books by Andrzej Sapkowski. Started with The Last Wish .

Only a chapter in but so far it's excellent. I really dig the Witcher universe/lore, so i may be reading it through a slight rose tint.
Never actually got around to finishing this, I really need to.