Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » User Reviews Critiques and Help » Monterray James's drunken wisdom - November 2012 update » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/PS2/Ico/userreviews.html?reviewid=35541
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 13, 09 at 8:08amMonterey Jack

FEATURED REVIEW:

Hey guys!

What's happening here, is that I show reviews that I've written over time. I don't bullshit around. If I didn't like something, I'll point it out. I also try not to make the review run too long, though I sometimes get carried away (Guitar Hero: Metallica). I'm gunning for at least one or two reviews a week, though there are times when I can't make that deadline, so be aware. So yeah, just read, enjoy and give your thoughts on my thoughts.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 04, 13 at 12:55am
Monterey Jack

hey guys, so I'm back to submitting reviews. I'm aiming for once a week like I used to for a fair bit of last year but if I slow down to once a fortnight, I'm getting bogged by IRL shit. I shouldn't be, but y'know how life gets.

but yeah I forgot to update with these so here are the last two reviews I did last year.

Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Tokyo Jungle

Oct 04, 12 at 10:28pm
Monterey Jack

Disgaea

only review written by me last month. *bleep* am I lazy...

Sep 21, 12 at 7:03pm
Monterey Jack

quote Watain
while I think you whinged a bit too much about grinding in your Disgaea review, I also get that grinding is a very silly thing to include in games released on the PS2 and beyond so eh, fair enough.
Yeah I basically made a point that when it gets to the actual content, it's bloody wicked but then you get to the grinding and it's *bleep*en gay as. guess you could say I learned a fair amount about reviewing over the years eh??

and don't worry, I'm getting to the Killzone 3 review.

Sep 18, 12 at 10:51pm
Watain

oh man now THIS is what I call progression in the field of writing. I remember when your reviews used to bore me to tears and now, I actually can't seem to stop reading them. I reckon you've gotten a better idea of how to gather your thoughts together and cohesively communicate them. while I think you whinged a bit too much about grinding in your Disgaea review, I also get that grinding is a very silly thing to include in games released on the PS2 and beyond so eh, fair enough. but yeah, it feels like you've smoothed out your taste a lot more.

wouldn't mind a review of Killzone 3 from you.

Sep 04, 12 at 8:37pm
Monterey Jack

*bleep* August wasn't much better

Serious Sam 3: BFE

Also cleaned up the first post a bit so that it wouldn't be as huge cuz of there being so many *bleep*en reviews haha never thought I'd get that many written.

Aug 02, 12 at 12:15am
Monterey Jack

quote Monterey Jack
lol funny how I've been able to live up to the promise in the OP lately... bet you right now, I won't because I just said that haha.
lol I knew it - only got one out in July.

The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King

Jun 25, 12 at 4:48am
Monterey Jack

Won't be able to submit a review this week due to a bit of a writer's block, but I'll make up for it with two reviews next week. So here's this month's update:

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
Sonic The Hedgehog
King Kong

Jun 03, 12 at 3:05pm
EricF

I really enjoyed your Tomb Raider review, really brought me back to when I loved Tomb Raider games.

It actually made me look up videos of the one I used to play so often when I was young! Can't remember the name from the top of my head, but it's the one where you can visit your house in it, and the butler goes around shaking his tray haha. Brilliant.

Jun 03, 12 at 12:14am
Monterey Jack

quote EricF
That's a lot of reading for me to get through!
By the way I update this thread, there'll be plenty of bedtime stories for you.

quote Stalagmite
You could almost say this about a lot of games, particularly beat em ups such as Streets Of Rage, Final Fight and even Comix Zone. Do you mind explaining why Golden Axe gets axed for something that, by all rights, you should slam all Genesis games for?
Simply put, it's nothing special. It's (Golden Axe for those of you who aren't keeping up at home) just a nice fun game, that's all, and even then, there are Genesis beat em ups that are much more fun. Comix Zone and Streets Of Rage (2 in particular) are such games. Sorry for the confusion, but that's just how it is I'm afraid.

But yeah, thanks for the comments guys. Anyway, with that out of the way, here are... more bedtime stories-- I mean reviews.

Journey
Golden Axe
Shadows Of The Damned
Tomb Raider
Vagrant Story
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode 2

lol funny how I've been able to live up to the promise in the OP lately... bet you right now, I won't because I just said that haha.

May 17, 12 at 6:49pm
Lukas

quote Stalagmite
You could almost say this about a lot of games, particularly beat em ups such as Streets Of Rage, Final Fight and even Comix Zone. Do you mind explaining why Golden Axe gets axed for something that, by all rights, you should slam all Genesis games for?
I think what he meant was that it doesn't have much to offer besides a very simple combo, three beasts and a magic attack, while only having so many enemies on screen at once (like 2 or 3). He also felt that the bosses were too much like enemies, only with more HP.

But yeah, he could've written that in a way that made that a lot clearer. Then again, we'll just have to wait for his Streets Of Rage review... I mean, reading the Golden Axe review and then his Comix Zone review cleared it up just a bit - Comix Zone did have more to offer, but Golden Axe was released when Sega was competing with the NES, while Comix Zone came out when the PS1 was out.