Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Showcases and Work Logs » Player1's Rig » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Hello, and welcome to the Showcases and worklogs forum! This forum is primarily for users to post about their computers and discuss them. You are welcome to join in the discussion, and if you wish to create your own, please register! Its free!The Showcase forum is for people to 'brag' and show off their computers they have already built. If you are asking for advice on a computer you plan on building, please post that in the main forum.

Thanks.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 11, 09 at 12:13pmPlayer1

I haven't posted in this thread in forever.

The i7 920 rig has changed drastically though:

I've had some more time to mess around with it, so I decided to overclock it on air. My 920 is a C0 chip, so it's not as OC friendly as the D0's. (I've hit 4.6Ghz on water, so we'll see what it can do on air)

I'm currently posting from 4.5GHz

EDIT:

CPUz Validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1921123

Should be easier to see, then trying to look at the screenshot

It's not prime stable, but it's benchmark stable as well as Fallout New Vegas stable lol!

I'll be pushing it more shortly

Hey guys, girls, and hiigaraan(joke). I've asked for many pics, but have never actually shown you guys any. So do to some recent problems(liquid getting in my PSU) I had to take my rig apart. Here's some pics of putting it back together.

The LGA 1366 socket

The i7 920

Putting on the AS5

DR. MOS

Vigor Monsoon 3 AKA. Not my favorite cooler

6GB's of DDR3

Putting it on the MOBO tray

That 8pin connect that hii hates

4870 number 1

4870 number 2

Crossfire

Sliding in the tray

Wire management

It's alive

Comments?

Water Cooling Phase 0N3:

Water Phase TW0:

I5

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 24, 11 at 6:29am
Player1

I got it to 4585Mhz today, but any further and the BIOS locks up LOL! (Guess it's time for another BIOS update)

I had to clear CMOS, for obvious reasons, so I'll try for 4.6 tomorrow then.

Still, 4.5GHz, not bad for a C0 920 on air cooling.

Jul 23, 11 at 7:19pm
Player1

I haven't posted in this thread in forever.

The i7 920 rig has changed drastically though:

I've had some more time to mess around with it, so I decided to overclock it on air. My 920 is a C0 chip, so it's not as OC friendly as the D0's. (I've hit 4.6Ghz on water, so we'll see what it can do on air)

I'm currently posting from 4.5GHz

EDIT:

CPUz Validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1921123

Should be easier to see, then trying to look at the screenshot

It's not prime stable, but it's benchmark stable as well as Fallout New Vegas stable lol!

I'll be pushing it more shortly

Apr 05, 10 at 3:24pm
Moonset

Seriously. Despite being cheap, it is still far more expensive relative to the cost of distilled water.

That said, the reason distilled water is chosen is likely not due to heat capacity but instead thermal conductivity. Water's thermal conductivity is on average 5 times higher than that of mineral oil, making it much better for actually cooling things.

Apr 05, 10 at 12:39pm
hiigaran

who knows? maybe the mineral oil used is much more expensive than water. would be worth looking into if youre looking for a liquid cooling solution.

Apr 05, 10 at 9:49am
Player1

I'm fairly certain that if oil was the better option, it would be more widely used.

Apr 05, 10 at 8:37am
Moonset

I think hiigaran is pointing out that the oil also cools faster than the water, essentially evening it out.

Apr 05, 10 at 7:34am
hiigaran

That means it will absorb all the heat it can sooner then water will
thats what i was looking for. thanks.

Apr 05, 10 at 12:50am
Player1

Why would that be better?

The oils heat capacity is lower. That means it will absorb all the heat it can sooner then water will. When that happens it will stop absorbing heat, meaning heat dissipation will stop. Whereas with water it will be able to absorb more heat.

Both the water and the oil would be cooled in the radiator, so the oil being cooled in the radiator makes no difference.

Water can dissipate more heat, that's why it is used.

Apr 05, 10 at 12:45am
hiigaran

but if it heats up faster and is being removed and replaced with cooler oil, wouldnt that make heat dissipation better at the radiator (were still talking about oil in a water cooling systems piping, right?)

Apr 05, 10 at 12:30am
Player1

(Mineral Oil)1.67 kJ/kg.K vs. (Water)4.18 kJ/kg.K

The mineral oils heat capacity is less so it will heat up faster, and be less efficient at absorbing heat.