Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » Spotify and McAfee » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

May 21, 09 at 5:50pmJackz89

Just as a loaded up Spotify today, I got a message telling me that a virus ( W32/IRCbot.gen.z ) had been detected in spotify.exe...

It deleted Spotify.exe and now everytime I try to download Spotify again... it finds the same virus and stops the download.

I did a quick google search and found that a lot of users with McAfee are getting this problem and it isn't happening with other antivirus programs.
I'm currently doing a scan of my computer to see if there are any virus' or whether McAfee is just playing up.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and if there is a fix to it.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 14, 10 at 7:50pm
Michael Georgiou

Solution:
Open Mcafee security centre.
Select "configure" from the panel on the left.
Then select "Internet and network".
Click "advanced" in the firewall option.
Click "program permissions" then "add allowed program"
Find your spotify application (usually in the program files on your c:// drive)
Press ok and spotify will run perfectly

Alternatively get avast! or avg free!

May 22, 09 at 7:14pm
hiigaran

i am definitely going to have to agree with you there. i dont care what the AV comparitives say, Mc just sucks, mainly due to the insane resource usage that goes along with them.

i normally dont recommend commercial software, but NOD32 is heaps better.

May 22, 09 at 7:10pm
LinkMaster03

McAfee sucks. Really hard.

May 22, 09 at 3:01pm
VTR_03

I have just entered to the McAfee site.

Spotify.exe is listed as a Virus.

I supose it is McAfee that needs to solve the problem.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_157317.htm

May 22, 09 at 1:41pm
lammy12313231

quote ChrisScadden
That proves nothing

May 22, 09 at 1:11pm
ChrisScadden

Not a false positive folks:-

http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProfile.aspx?key=157317#none

May 22, 09 at 9:20am
Dodgybobster

I've had the same problem with McAfee and Spotify. Tried to restore the quarantined file from the advanced menu, but this didn't work. The spotify.exe file was immediately removed again from the program folder. I hope people are informing McAfee about this!!

May 21, 09 at 11:02pm
Carlos2

Finally it is working!!! Go to the McAfee Security Centre, click on "restore" (if youre using the advanced menu, if youre not then just click on 'advanced menu' at the bottom left). Click on "files" and spotify should be on a list of quarantiend files, check the box and click restore. If the program ask to subtitute the file with a new file, say NO.
I did that, and it is working without any problem!!!
Good luck

May 21, 09 at 7:15pm
Jackz89

I've been following the thread on getsatisfaction.com, seems a lot of people have the same problem.

It looks like I'll be waiting till there's confirmation on whether its a false positive or an actual virus. Rather be safe than sorry.

Just running a virus scan and McAfee has deleted all files that were supposedly infected with it.

Hopefully there will be a solution soon.

May 21, 09 at 6:49pm
SC

@howardduck101
Which of course is an absolutely brilliant idea as no-one knows if it's a false positive or not yet. By all means un-quarantine the file and possibly have a virus wreaking havoc on your machine.

Personally, I would *not* be rolling the McAfee DAT's back until someone works out definitively whether this is a real virus or a false positive.