Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Role Playing » Q&A ~~ Feedback and Suggestions » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 31, 09 at 5:50pmChroma

Well, here is Aulis Vaara with a redo of the contents of the first post.

Why? You may ask, because after all this IS the Q&A thread. Well, because some of the information was outdated. On top of that, we decided it would be best to incorporate a Feedback And Suggestions function, since it is already present within Feature Role-Playing, and because we do appreciate your opinions.

So, if you have any questions or doubts or anything really, feel free to ask for help here.

If you think something about the forum can be improved, feel free to voice that here as well.

Happy posting!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 07, 13 at 12:55am
Mrgrimmz

Hey, new here & I RP in my spare time on Twitter when I'm unable to do anything due to medical problems/keep my real life writing sharp. I'm very much respected on their & alot say I'm the best writer there/several of my villain characters have been praised,etc etc, blow my own horn why don't I.e_e. But here's my question, I was wonderin' if it's allowed to post a thread to invite you fellow RP'ers to Twitter RP as I'm in need of new blood (And good writing skill with no dramatic bs.) I didn't want to just make a thread & piss people off asking them to join up with my RP "Crew" so to speak (#Wolfpack if any DO RP there, you may know of us.)

So that's my question, if I could do so & get it hotter than it is over there already. (NOTE: We mostly do characters already made, well, I do because OC's are for my REAL writing. My twitter UN is mgrimmz99 & I can promise, if you'll allow me to make an invitation to my "army" (People with 4k+ followers& such) I guarantee fun will be had. Thanks for the time & if not, no biggie.

Mr.Grimm-

Nov 05, 12 at 7:54pm
Tiger go Meow

An Original RP is an Original RP

A feature RP is an RP based on a media piece - game, book, show, etc, etc

A Ask RP is a "Ask (insert media character here)" where you ask them questions and stuff. Ask Saber thread explains it.

General is a discussion thread usually or a rules thread and isn't as mandatory for RPs.

Social RP is an RP that's essentially just a location created with the purpose of character to character interaction.

These explanations are going to be further expanded upon when I finish up the field guide and get into the Neo the World revamp.

Nov 05, 12 at 5:16pm
azavier

Um... the tags that go with a new thread... I don't see an explanation for them anywhere... and it says it's required... In case you don't know what I mean:

Select a tag (required)
ask rp
feature rp
general
original rp
social rp

I don't see an explanation for them or their purpose in any of the threads on this forum, from what I can see, but it says it's required... It's kinda holding me up on a role play I was going to post... And by kinda, I mean completely...

Oct 28, 12 at 5:18pm
Darkking

Members contact thread? :3 Where we post in a thread so we can contact each other off of neo?

Oct 12, 11 at 10:56pm
Aulis Vaara

You make a very valid point. I'm slightly wondering if I'm letting myself be swayed too quickly, though. In any case, it's not for today... I have to be up in five hours.

More neutral titles would be in order though. Using "literate" makes it seem like the casual writers are illiterate. Maybe something like:
  1. On the fly
  2. Casual
  3. Prose
  4. Hardcore

Oct 12, 11 at 10:18pm
Tiger go Meow

Well just saying this because doing it by an RP basis would be friendly on almost any school of RP'er. Your ones who actually care to write will see that there are literate works, while the ones who are afraid to write novels let alone over five lines, will see that there are more friendly threads for the more casual, laidback, RP'er. A newbie who prefers one-two liner posts will see the big ugly red text, and go "oh my..." and walk away, while someone capable may be happy with it.

In all honesty you can't really make your whole RP forum community be talented at writing (I took this approach when I moderated here, and realized over time it was wrong)*. And this concept makes a more balanced layout for the Casual and Core RP'er so both parties may feel like they want to join. Versus catering more to one crowd over the other.

Oh I know the biggest downfall would be creating a rift within the community, but that happens anywhere (and everywhere) that RP is done. You're casuals and cores (aka the elitists). Always fun stuff, that.

Notes
  • - I am not saying this is what is happening, just an example.

Oct 12, 11 at 8:11pm
Aulis Vaara

Angel in Shadows: Ugh, how did I miss this one...

I don't know if it's a good idea, but at this point, I'm actually willing to try it... Though perhaps we just need some decent advertising here and there. I don't think people are actually scared off from the forum because of the Lines Rule, since I am rather lax with it for newcomers, but making it Role-Play specific does sound somewhat appealing.

By which I really mean: I'm thinking about it.

Sep 26, 11 at 9:55pm
Tiger go Meow

Chuck the Five Line Rule in favor of distinguishing RP's from Casual RP's and Literate RP's. This way Casual RP'ers are not scared off from the forum thinking they need to write whole paragraphs, and the more serious, literate, RP'ers can have their more hardcore RP's. It can create a bigger draw since not everyone wants to be a novelist when they RP.

Wow. Did I just say chuck the five line rule? I practically invented it...

Basically you would have your

C - Casual
    Where you're pretty much expecting very short, and to the point posts.
      i.e.
      Jimmy walks in bar and says to bartender, "Get me a cold one."

SC - Semi-Casual
    Still like casual but you're sliding the amount of post content up. Instead of one line at a time you are expecting to post at least a pargraph, yet there is no emphasis on being perfect in writing technique.

SL - Semi-Literate
    Basically like SC but you are going to see posts that are one to two paragraphs and relaxed but are where the person at least looks like they can form a proper writing structure.

L - Literate
    What we pretty much expect now. 500+ WC Posts which show that the posters have a very good comprehension of writing mechanics and really know how to show their stuff.

Sep 09, 11 at 5:24pm
Quel Apogee

Oops, sorry and thanks Aulis. I have to keep that in mind for my RPG's...

Aug 29, 11 at 9:12pm
Aulis Vaara

This isn't really what this thread is for, Quel Apogee. This thread is for Forum related questions, feedback, and suggestion. Things like this belong in the general discussion.

But to answer your question: you'll recall I suggested that you keep Fantasy and anything Semi-realistic apart, and this does indeed appear to be your problem. The thing is, reality and fantasy don't mix well. They operate by different rules, and by introducing them to each other, you're simply breaking their rules. Other Role-Players know that, and they don't like it, because it stops being fun at this point. It may even be a case of Godmoding...