Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » User Reviews Critiques and Help » Aevers Reviews » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/PS2/Ico/userreviews.html?reviewid=35541
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 24, 09 at 9:57amAevers

Hey guys wassup? This is Aevers and I'm going to share some reviews I may write over time. I tend to keep them short so you get the idea of how good/shit a game is without sleeping halfway through. I've already reviewed one, and it's had some positive reception, so I'm hoping it's all consistent. That's where all of you come in

Latest Review:

INDEX:

Xbox 360:

Playstation 2:

Playstation 1:

Playstation Portable

Nintendo Entertainment System

Sega Genesis

Android

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 28, 14 at 8:35pm
Jak

"sounds like a raspy version of Vegeta from the Ocean dub" - who was already raspy to begin with.

I'd, at best, recommend renting this game, but on the whole, it's rushed, like a kid turning in his homework at the last minute without double checking everything.
Kind of like this sentence?

And good eye Monterey Jack, though in general, her reviews have gotten longer (or bigger?) since she wrote that Legend Of Legaia review.

Apr 18, 14 at 8:27am
Alyssa

Hey Aevers, Raiden also cut up heavily armored vehicles. That made him seem even more badass.

Apr 14, 14 at 7:04am
Monterey Jack

quote Revengeance review
well, can't have a Metal Gear game without an epic final boss, eh? Well, they at least kind of got that right. Just a shame he's such a one dimensional character and ridiculousness aside, it's like a big ball of nothing.

But one thing every Metal Gear game excels at is its boss battles, and – surprisingly – Revengeance doesn't disappoint
I'm a little confused - are you saying "it's like a big ball of nothing" like his character is the big ball of nothing, or that the boss fights aside, the level is a big ball of nothing?

it's rushed, like a kid turning in his homework at the last minute without double checking everything
that's a bit ironic considering that some of the parts - conclusion especially - read like this haha

dunno what happened but your last three reviews are longer than everything else you've done which makes this bit of your OP a bit funny

quote Aevers
I tend to keep them short so you get the idea of how good/shit a game is without sleeping halfway through.
but I'm liking it

Mar 03, 14 at 8:52pm
Jak

re: Your Adventure Island review

At least the power ups and whatnot are in the same eggs
Nope, not quite. The power ups are found in the same order:

Stone axe (not a tomahawk) -> Skateboard -> Fairy (I forgot her name but it's in the instruction manual... wherever that is) -> Eggplant.

It resets when you die and I believe it also resets when you enter a new level, and the axes usually appear on their own near checkpoints if you respawn by them which may have confused you a bit there. It happens.

I think you also gave the game a little too much credit, but to each to their own. I actually wouldn't mind if you reviewed one of the sequels since I can get a clearer read of what you liked about it since it's drowned out by how unforgiving the first game is.

Jan 02, 14 at 5:07am
Stalagmite

quote Aevers
Except it really isn't a change in tone, nor is it exaggerative.
Perhaps we should've done this from the beginning, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

Dec 30, 13 at 7:36am
Aevers

quote Stalagmite
As in, you could elaborate on what you just said to me and put that into the review.
I'll see what I can do about that.

quote Stalagmite
For me, a review that suddenly changes tone - from informative to exaggerating and needing to read between the lines, in this case - is one that fails to convince me to give a *bleep* about their opinion. You're better than this. Your Sonic The Hedgehog 2 review proves this (although knock the score down a smidge - 8.5 is a bit too high considering what you're saying about the game).
Except it really isn't a change in tone, nor is it exaggerative.

Dec 27, 13 at 5:14am
Stalagmite

quote Aevers
quote Stalagmite
In general, I don't quite understand your complaints with Rule Of Rose. If you didn't mention that attacks have a tendency to not register or be too lenient with registry, I'd argue that you just set out to hate the game even though it just sounds like every other survival horror game to me. I mean maybe it just does these things all wrong, but I don't feel as if you articulated that correctly, as if you were rushing the writing of the review. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong
I've mentioned on many occasions that the types of puzzles survival horror games employ work within the context of exploring the areas - whether you're exploring the Spencer Mansion or Silent Hill, these puzzles allowed you to look around and get a feel for them before you progressed. Even Luigi's Mansion had this, never mind Resident Evil. The mothership and other areas in Rule Of Rose are a bore to explore, ergo, puzzle solving is boring if not tedious.

Combat is borderline incompetent in Rule Of Rose. I've already explained why in the review.
Oh yeah, I definitely got a lot out of what you said about the combat.

But yeah, I get what you're saying - gathering items in a less linear structure is more appealing to most people and needing to have Brown sniff them out for you is a bit lame when that's literally all he can do, but the way you expressed it could've been a lot better. As in, you could elaborate on what you just said to me and put that into the review.

quote Aevers
quote Stalagmite
And I've said my piece on your Devil May Cry review.
And I still think the way that I think about the camera and am not willing to change the way I wrote it. Get over it.
For me, a review that suddenly changes tone - from informative to exaggerating and needing to read between the lines, in this case - is one that fails to convince me to give a *bleep* about their opinion. You're better than this. Your Sonic The Hedgehog 2 review proves this (although knock the score down a smidge - 8.5 is a bit too high considering what you're saying about the game).

Dec 15, 13 at 7:21am
Aevers

quote Rift
quote Aevers
The mothership and other areas in Rule Of Rose are a bore to explore, ergo, puzzle solving is boring if not tedious.
Aye, a series of fetch quests would sound like more of a bore than the often simplistic puzzles offered in survival horror games and horribly broken combat even by survival horror standards would be enough to kill a game. I doubt she'd have to get more into the game after that point, Stalagmite. But that's just my take on it.
The thing is that it was so dull and tedious to play that it was actually hard to describe anything more than the structure (barely, at that), what you do (fetch stuff and fight monsters sometimes) and how borderline incompetent the combat was. Some games are just virtually impossible to review because they don't do much and had it not been for the story, Rule Of Rose wouldn't even have been reviewed in the first place because I doubt I'd get past the first hour without losing my patience.

Maybe I could rewrite some bits and add some other bits, but I think I've had my fill of Rule Of Rose.

And yeah, let's not start that again. Seriously. Instead, let's review a bunch of games I've been wanting to review for a while, like Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Grand Theft Auto 5, Revengeance and Final Fantasy Tactics (the PSP one).

Dec 15, 13 at 4:39am
Gryzor

quote Rift
quote Stalagmite
No you didn't. Your comments were the pseudo-intellectual equivalent of the shit I'd find on /v/. That Wolfi bloke wasn't much better, but then he wasn't a part of the review community, so there was no expectation for him to not act like a sperglord. This is not up for discussion.
Oh god not this shit again.

Dec 15, 13 at 3:55am
Taake

quote Stalagmite
No you didn't. Your comments were the pseudo-intellectual equivalent of the shit I'd find on /v/. That Wolfi bloke wasn't much better, but then he wasn't a part of the review community, so there was no expectation for him to not act like a sperglord. This is not up for discussion.

quote Aevers
The mothership and other areas in Rule Of Rose are a bore to explore, ergo, puzzle solving is boring if not tedious.
Aye, a series of fetch quests would sound like more of a bore than the often simplistic puzzles offered in survival horror games and horribly broken combat even by survival horror standards would be enough to kill a game. I doubt she'd have to get more into the game after that point, Stalagmite. But that's just my take on it.