Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Frightened Rabbit » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Mar 07, 09 at 9:31pmTVI

Band: Folk/Indie/Pop

Frightened Rabbit are a Scottish indie rock band from Selkirk, Scotland, consisting of Scott Hutchison (vocals, guitar), Grant Hutchison (drums, vocals), Billy Kennedy (guitar, keyboards, bass) and Andy Monaghan (keyboards, guitar, bass). The band has so far released two studio albums, with their second, The Midnight Organ Fight, receiving widespread critical acclaim.

Source: Wikipedia

Thought I'd share this fantastic band with you all, just discovered them and they're awesome! Check out this song in particular:

Links:
Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/frightenedrabbit
Band website: http://www.frightenedrabbit.com/
Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frightened_Rabbit

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 17, 13 at 10:23pm
Irish Gamer

What a *bleep*ing incredible live band.

Amazing set tonight, only disappointment being we didn't get Late March, Death March which is my favourite song from Pedestrian Verse. Other than that though, *bleep*in amazing.

Aug 31, 12 at 5:20pm
GregtheGreat

New EP, 'State Hospital', out 24th September.

The title track, and first single from it, is fantastic too.

Nov 23, 10 at 12:51am
GregtheGreat

Saw these guys tonight at Northumbria SU. Absolutely superb gig. The first support act, Admiral Fallow, was a great Scottish indie/folk band. Definitely will keep an eye out for them in the future.

The second support act, The Neat, was pretty atrocious. It was like The Klaxons with much less talent and the ability to sing poorly and scream.

Great set from Frightened Rabbit though, 50/50 mix of Midnight Organ Fight and Winter of Mixed Drinks, plus they played Be Less Rude from Sing the Greys cause a guy asked for it which was pretty cool. Highlights of the night were My Backwards Walk (which was brilliantly built up), Living in Colour, The Wrestle, Poke (stunning) and the final track The Loneliness and the Scream. Great night!

Jun 26, 10 at 10:40pm
GregtheGreat

Just booked my tickets to see them for the first time at Shepherd's Bush in December. I'm so excited and I have like half a year to wait

Mar 01, 10 at 9:43pm
The Dave

quote Vector
Also, I'd say just go for The Midnight Organ Fight.
Good advice this. Absolutely loved the album, gives me real hope that straight-up British indie-rock is alive and well in the same way that Band Of Horses and Manchester Orchestra have done for US indie-rock.

I love how visceral and earthy their music is, from the strained thick-accented vocals to the driving rhythm section it's tough not to get swept away. There's also a lot to be said about how reassuringly honest and naive the lyrics are. Definitely music to "get your angst on" to.

Unfortunately Spotify haven't got their act together yet and put the new album up yet. Will post up opinions when they do. Swim was an instant winner for me when it dropped last year, so if it works even better in the context of the album looks like I'm in luck.

Mar 01, 10 at 4:10pm
Mocking Alvin

I'm glad it's a grower (heard this from a few other people as well), because i wasn't blown away when i heard the myspace stream a few days ago. Found myself loving 'Swim...' a lot more when i listened to it the the context of the entire album than when it was released as a single like 6 months ago. Downloaded a copy of the album so will give it another couple of listens but will try and pick up a physical release in the next couple of days.

Mar 01, 10 at 2:37pm
GregtheGreat

Their new album, The Winter of Mixed Drinks, came out today. Got my copy in the post, just listened to it (for the second time, I listened to the stream on myspace last week). It's a good album, I think it'll be a grower too cause I enjoyed it more this time round than when I first listened to it. It doesn't top Midnight Organ Fight but that's not exactly a bad thing when you consider just how great that album was. I wasn't really expecting them to top it.

Nonetheless it's still a damn good album. If anything it's a bit more rock-y than the last album, with tracks like Nothing Like You and Living in Colour being quite fast paced tracks. There's also tracks which probably would have slotted quite comfortably into the Midnight Organ Fight too, notably The Loneliness And The Scream, Not Miserable and The Wrestle. Still got that indie-angsty feel to them. There's not a bad track on the record really.

Dec 28, 09 at 12:49pm
Vector

Will do. Pretty much every band you've recommended has been sitting on my last.fm recommendations page for ages and I've been too lazy to check em out.

Also, I'd say just go for The Midnight Organ Fight. The general consensus seems be that Frightened Rabbit really perfected their sound in their sophomore album. It's a great representation.

Dec 28, 09 at 12:26pm
The Dave

I really need to get me some Frightened Rabbit material. Heard nothing but good things about these lads and whenever I've dropped by their Myspace page I've always left it a lot more optimistic about the state of British indie rock music. What would you guys suggest I start with?

Oh and Vector if you're looking for similar Scottish bands you probably can't go wrong with Frightened Rabbit label-mates The Twilight Sad and We Were Promised Jetbacks. Although hugely different in style you should also check out Camera Obscura if you need any further convincing as to the strength of Scottish indie pop/rock.

Dec 27, 09 at 9:01pm
Vector

Well well well, what do we have here?

I decided to give The Midnight Organ Fight a go and just four songs in and I've got to hold my jaw up.

The album is good old indie-rock at it's finest. I'm quite a fan of raw vocals that Scott Hutchison puts out (clearly I need to check out more Scottish bands). They're just so raw and honest. A cool contrast to the brooding falsettos that seem to be oh so popular these days. The layered guitars and the decision to leave out a bassist is a novelty that doesn't seem overplayed. The drums serve as a good enough rhythmic anchor, allowing for them folky guitars to really let loose. But where these lads really stand out for me is their lyrical content. It's all just so unashamedly adolescent. It's verses are littered with angsty little quips that generally follow the 'i'm-not-good-enough' trend that most teenage boys find themselves ensconced in at some time or another. But it never seems like it's trying to hard, just a good ol' romantic, horny romp at its crux.

Also, The Modern Leper is probably the best opener I've heard in a while.

Check em out if you haven't already (you guys know who I'm talking to).