Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Super Smash Bros. Brawl » Mass Madness 14 Tournament Results 2/28/09 Framingham MA » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Animal Crossing Donkey Kong Earthbound Fire Emblem F Zero Game and Watch Ice Climber Kid Icarus Kirby Mario Megaman Metal Gear Metroid Pikmin Pokemon ROB Sonic Starfox Warioware Wii Fit Yoshi Legend of Zelda Bowser Captain Falcon Charizard King Dedede Diddy Kong Donkey Kong Doctor Mario Falco Fox Ganondorf Game and Watch Ice Climbers Ike Ivysaur Jigglypuff Kirby Link Lucario Lucas Luigi Mario Marth Meta Knight Mewtwo Ness Olimar Peach Pichu Pikachu Pit Pokemon Trainer ROB Roy Samus Sheik Snake Sonic Squirtle Smash Bros Toon Link Wario Wolf Yoshi Young Link Zelda Zero Suit Samus

hideOriginal Post

Feb 22, 09 at 4:11amEtherlight

2/21/09

9:30 AM: My day started up pretty badly. My grandma woke me up at the wrong time (while I was sleeping) and she said she would make lunch at 1 pm w/o any negoiation (typical).

I took a shower and then I started to spend some time on the intrawebz for directions and stuff. And then when I realized how far it was I really couldn't wait for the lunch, so I decided to leave earlier without anything to eat (;_;).

1:30 PM: I wasn't paying attention and I missed the stop at the Church. ._. It only took a measly fifteen minutes to get there and it killed off some time before the church opened.

1:50 PM: The church was already open and I went in. Good space and it was easy to navigate around overall (unlike Mass Madness D:). The only person I knew that was around was Roy but I knew Mardo and Hannie (if he isn't late) were coming to the tourney. Mike was in this tight situation so I was assuming he wouldn't come until a while.

I did friendlies for quite a bit. First one was this Fox who kept spamming smashes and I somehow let him get away with that for one stock. My combos were off too for some reason but it got back to me later on.

Roy and I did some Peach vs. Pit stuff. Close matches although I got most of them I think. I may post them later but eh.

Those Doubles friendlies were funny and watching those nearly secured the thought that this tournament wasn't going to be hard to win. I watch them and I realize how incredibly bad they are. Ike kept killing his ally, Marth doesn't really know how to play Marth other than spam smashes, Falco just sucked and the Lucario was average.

I decided to team up with the Marth since his teammate didn't want to play anymore. And lol, we utterly raped them. Marth somehow got some lulzy fully charged Shield-Breaker kills. I pretty much ninja'd them.

3:20 PM: Mike comes at this time I guess. He already signed up for Singles, we both needed to sign up for Doubles. They spelt my name wrong, they really messed up Mike's last name (Merfe? XD).

We thought we had this in the bag, until Matt (I think) message'd Mike that KoreanDJ was coming to this tourney.

And hell, we were screwed.

Matt said Green Ace and Fatal was here but considering how they aren't even close to the Winners or Losers Finals I guess that meant that they weren't there.

Singles (56 people).

1. KoreanDJ/Daniel
2. xROYx/What IS his name? D:
3. Hannie/Seon
4. Etherlight/Kevin

Dead Last: Tidus Strife/Mike. <3

Practically everyone mind some people were really (insert age) - 13 year olds who weren't that good or people that just weren't that good. So the brackets were a breeze. Tidus is the exception because he got one of the worst seedings I have ever seen. He'll explain that to you I guess.

Not like these results matter anyways, it was basically one match (except for the Grand Finals) with practically no CPs avaliable. They had to save time and we could only get 2/3 matches with a few people (Why? Because we can).

Notable Matches (Not in any order):

Some Random Link (Link a hur hur) vs. Ether (Peach)

Notable because he was able to mindgame me into his bombs. Edge-hogs, turnips and Peach combos screwed him up.

He was about to go MK (D:) on me but then it ended up being a winner of one match so I got lucky (I guess?). You guys could never know, he could've been sandbagging.

Nito (Lucas) vs. Ether (Peach)

We did a 2/3 for this one. This was my "revenge" match for Tidus. Tidus said that he managed to get him at 100% at one stock so he guessed that I could beat him. Turns out I had more control over the match overall and managed to win the first and third match. Second match the PK Fire camping went really gay due to it being in FD D:

KoreanDJ (MK) vs. Ether

Honestly, at this point you should know that I'm really only going to use Peach.

First match I got two-stock pretty badly. Second match I somehow got him to one-stock. Match will be up later.

Mardo (Wario) vs. Ether

Why is his F-Smash so stupid? D: I also missed my grab release to U-Smash combo and I got wrecked for them. Although I did land a U-Smash on him without it so that didn't matter. And I don't like bike taunts so I basically Fair'd him to death. XD But he got like a WoP of Fairs so it was okay. :3

xROYx vs. Ether

Basically like friendlies only he won. :[

So I got fourth. Probably the second highest score I have ever made with Peach-only. But Super Mass Bros. definitely was the best representation of my skill.

Doubles (25 Teams)
1. Banned from Gamestop (Lawl) (KDJ/Nito)
2. Ta Ta, Looks Like Rain (Ether/Mike) - We couldn't make it inapproiate.
3. Team Falcon (not really) (Xihyon/Pat)

Don't know the rest. Shouldn't really matter. This was Single Elimination but had 2/3 (3/5 for Grand Finals) so it was fine by me.

I guess I'll just post the more important matches.

Match One - Team Manly (Hannie/Jaab) vs. Ta Ta, Looks Like Rain (Ether/Mike)

Really funny, this was probably the only team that we thought were a threat to us on our side of the brackets and they happened to be at our first match.

It wasn't Banned from Gamestop hard since Jaab wasn't good to begin with (doesn't Bucket-cancel, doesn't Up-B out of my combos, .etc) and I have faced Hannie too many times I know how his playstyle works. Not exactly a easy match-up either though.

First match we lost, Mike got gimped too many times and I ended up getting U-Smashed by GaW in the end.

Second match Mike got gimped too much as well but I managed to get my awesome 2-on-1 powers going and I managed to beat them both.

Third match was ownage because Mike didn't get gimped as much.

---

The rest was a cruise, Ness/Ness was funky, Pit/Ness didn't have Roy as Pit. It was really easy overall, except...

---

Team Falcon (Xiyhon/Pat) vs. Ta Ta, Looks Like Rain (Ether/MK)

They got a match and after that Mike wanted to play gay and spam torndao. :[

Pat (or was it Xihyon?) basically made the matches funny so I kind of felt sorry that Mike was playing gay. But they were fine with it, I think.

Double Falcos are one hell of a team though. Pew pews everywhere.

----

Reason why I think Doubles are fun as hell.

Banned from Gamestop (Blue) vs. Ta Ta, Looks Like Rain (Green)

The day ended pretty well. We had fun and although there were no prizes for second I was happy with getting second and doing decent against them.

If anything, I was tired as hell and I was up for a while getting those matches recorded and uploaded.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 02, 09 at 5:44am
Gotenks

quote Tidus Strife
Matt was the toureny organizer you nub.
No wonder he was making fun of your tag.

Mar 02, 09 at 4:45am
Etherlight

MM15 is on April 4-5. Melee is on 5th hopefully.

And speaking about August... What was that Game Universe convention they were talking about?

I don't really want to, unless you're willing to drive me from my house to pick my my TVs. Even then I would ride with Mike if I really can't find a ride.

Mar 02, 09 at 4:37am
Jameson user

Wait, that August thing? Better see M2K there...

If I'm wrong is it next year?

Meh. We could exchange numbers so we could all go together

Mar 02, 09 at 4:34am
Etherlight

There was no way I could've seen you. Too busy with my matches DX

Even then I didn't really know what your Tag would've been so I couldn't have bothered to look for you. That, and I totally forgot you were coming to MM14 XD

And apparently Mass Madness 15 is trying out the 2-day thing with Brawl being on Saturday (I think). Yayuhz

Mar 01, 09 at 10:57pm
Jameson user

quote Etherlight
quote Gotenks
Seriously. Ether make a new thread. >_>

Don't see why you would just make it in here.
Basically what CM said. Although I may make a thread for SMB2.

quote Jameson user
Yesterday I finally realized the importance of grab releases. The first Wario got pwnt by Ether's peach.
Eh. That Wario isn't good considering he put himself into a grab position way too easily. I could've done more (grab release to Double Nair for 20+ damage) but he took too much damage before I could even try, and I screwed up a few times.

quote Jameson user
lol why did you place as low as I did?...Did you SD too much?
Probably the case. That, and he fails so much at punishing.

quote Jameson user
I didn't know you were a tall, skinny Asian dude Ether. At least until today.
I did not see you at all. What was your tag for the tournament?
I went in as KN. I was the guy who was standing behind you during your first match.

Goddamn CGs.

Mar 01, 09 at 7:46pm
Etherlight

quote Gotenks
And ok Ether. Just checking. So you're just gonna use this thread for your tournament results? *has an idea*

So Zebby was announcer?

Pretty much.

Matt was the announcer (and TO) along with a few other people.

Mar 01, 09 at 7:43pm
Tidus Strife

Matt was the toureny organizer you nub.

Mar 01, 09 at 7:39pm
Gotenks

Check I didn't get no PM from you. 0.o

And ok Ether. Just checking. So you're just gonna use this thread for your tournament results? *has an idea*

So Zebby was announcer?

Mar 01, 09 at 7:13pm
Etherlight

quote Gotenks
Seriously. Ether make a new thread. >_>

Don't see why you would just make it in here.
Basically what CM said. Although I may make a thread for SMB2.

quote Jameson user
Yesterday I finally realized the importance of grab releases. The first Wario got pwnt by Ether's peach.
Eh. That Wario isn't good considering he put himself into a grab position way too easily. I could've done more (grab release to Double Nair for 20+ damage) but he took too much damage before I could even try, and I screwed up a few times.

quote Jameson user
lol why did you place as low as I did?...Did you SD too much?
Probably the case. That, and he fails so much at punishing.

quote Jameson user
I didn't know you were a tall, skinny Asian dude Ether. At least until today.
I did not see you at all. What was your tag for the tournament?

Mar 01, 09 at 5:34pm
Tidus Strife

quote Jameson user
Remember the announcer said that Rainy was a really weird name? lol why did you place as low as I did?...Did you SD too much?

Matt was making comments about my name cause Matt's been a pretty good friend of mine for a couple years now lol.

Meh, I just kept playing worse as my matches went on.

When they have a results thread up I'll probably post my shoutouts there then come here and write up a good summary.