Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Tips and Tutorials » How to make a clipping mask in GIMP. » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.This forum is for the sharing of specific tips, techniques and tutorials for Graphics Editors. It is not a forum for help threads or specific problems with your Graphics Program. Please use the help threads in the main forum for this.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 14, 09 at 3:52pmElement

I decided to make this tutorial because a lot of people don't know about clipping masks and using them in GIMP. Here we go:

Step 1: Go to File > New and choose any canvas size you want. Once that's open, go to File > Open As Layers and Click your stock. Name this layer stock layer.

(If you wish to resize this layer open your Layers Dialouge with CTRL and L and right click the stock layer. Choose layer and make sure keep proportions is selected. Choose the new dimensions. If it's too big or too small, go to Edit > Undo and try again, as scaling multiple times will result in a blurry stock.)

Result:

Step 2: Make a new transparent layer over your stock and make sure to duplicate your stock layer. On the new transparent layer, brush over the stock with a splatter brush. Don't cover the stock completely, but only get parts of it covered. The color of your splatter brushing doesn't matter.

Result:

Step 3: Now, open your layers dialougue again and right click your SPLATTER layer. Click on Alpha to Selection, then, go to Select > Invert at the top. Now, select one of your stock layers and click on Edit > Cut. Now, the parts of the stock you brushed over will appear in the shape of splatters. Like so: (When all other layers are hidden.) You can put them over your stock layer, or behind it, depending on what you want. Erase the parts that look bad.

(Quick example)

These can be used in signatures behind the stock or to bring out the background more. Clipping masks can also be used for fonts. Just put on a font over your focal like you would when brushing with splatters, and follow the same steps.

Now, here's an example of a signature using clipping masks:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 18, 14 at 5:31am
SuzanH

Its an great information about the clipping mask and well use of it. This is exactly what I needed to know and worked perfectly for me... thanks

Dec 23, 11 at 9:22am
johndrivs

Nice information.. Thanks for sharing...

Aug 22, 11 at 11:52pm
Empress Dowager Lu

quote jezzzg
could you tell me how to do this with text, as you can with photo shop in this tutorial (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photoshop-text/text-effects/image-in-text/page-2.php)
thanks!
It's the same technique. He even mentioned it in the first post ...

"Clipping masks can also be used for fonts. Just put on a font over your focal like you would when brushing with splatters, and follow the same steps."

Could help you in the future to read the entire post if you think you have a question to see whether or not the answer is actually there before asking it ...

Aug 21, 11 at 8:07pm
jezzzg

could you tell me how to do this with text, as you can with photo shop in this tutorial (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photoshop-text/text-effects/image-in-text/page-2.php)
thanks!

Mar 08, 09 at 3:57pm
BadWolf

quote The Answer
Nice tip.

You should show the banner before the "clipping mask" as well. Just a suggestion.
    I second that. Just show how they can actually help bring depth to a banner. Bring proof to what you say. =D

Mar 05, 09 at 12:58pm
Spiritual

Thanks a ton for making this tutorial Element! I never knew how to make them on GIMP, only on Photoshop until you posted this. Thanks again .

Mar 01, 09 at 12:00pm
Element

Problem. I just learned about them awhile ago, and they can do alot, so I decided to post this.

Mar 01, 09 at 5:28am
Mouschi Chan

Thanks so much for making this. Before you posted this I had no idea how to make one.

Feb 20, 09 at 2:15pm
BadWolf

Nice tip. For ages I have no idea what a clipping mask was until one tutorial actually explained what it was. XD

Feb 17, 09 at 7:09pm
The Answer

Nice tip.

You should show the banner before the "clipping mask" as well. Just a suggestion.