Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Chrono Trigger » Magus: Sinner or Saint? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Dec 26, 08 at 5:32amMcClubbin

SPOILERS

As we all know, Magus is portrayed as the game's penultimate "bad guy" from early on in the game. The fiends are convinced that he is trying to awaken Lavos to destroy humanity. However, towards the end of the game Magus' true intentions become clear: to awaken Lavos so that he can destroy it. It sounds like a noble gesture for him to be driven by revenge (for Schala) but there is one thing that's been puzzling me. If he's trying to destroy Lavos, which he wants to do all by himself, why does he need Ozzie and the fiends? More importantly, why does he make the fiends fight against the kingdom of Guardia?

So what are your thoughts on Magus?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 10, 13 at 7:05pm
Oh yeah im cool

You think he looks like Cell? I think he looks like an extremely weird version of a spiny shell from Mario. If you're talking the boss right before the FINAL boss, then yes he does. :/

May 30, 13 at 11:01pm
AgatioGanon

Magus is a antihero.

I compare him to Saturos from Golden Sun, he seems evil because it seems like he's trying to destroy the world at first, but then it turns out that he was trying to stop the Lavos cataclysm

Queen Zeal turned out to be the true antagonist because she wanted to control Lavos and rule the world using his power, Magus I think was trying to stop this too.

Lavos looks like Cell btw.

Apr 21, 12 at 12:44am
izanagi_the_creator

Magus is one of the good guys, neither sinner nor saint.

Jul 12, 11 at 2:51pm
allYOUcard18

I think that ultimatley Magus is working for the greater good. However the means to his end are more cunning and devious than Cgrono and friends's. Of course i reccomend getting him in your party when Chrono[spoiler=][/spoiler] dies. It is awesome to set him as your lead character and fly around as him

Mar 23, 11 at 10:24pm
eeveegirl

I see magus as more of a tragic hero type character. I always used him as one of my final party characters.

Sep 05, 10 at 4:19pm
GuardianGriffen

Ayla sums up the profit, Magus, best. Bring her along during the antiquity storyline and she will tell you that he isn't a bad person. He never gets all touchy feely like most video game characters do. He calls a spade a spade and gives the party some tough love. He is motivated by love for his sister and has survived some crappy things just to save her.

Once sucked through the time vortex he found himself with Ozzie and the monsters of the year 600. He was always a clever lad and quite skilled with magic. It would not be hard to immagine how Ozzie would think of using the boy and end up being used. Magus was never close to anyone other then his sister and his cat and as such doesn't see a problem with sacrificing others to save his sister.

When his sister and his former self tried to stop him from killing the party he questioned his strategy and changed it to allow the party to live. (I would have pwned him personally but he didn't know that.)

When the party lost Crono, Magus could relate because of the loss of his sister. It then makes sences for him to be willing to help get Crono back as it is similar to saving his sister. Even if you choose to kill him, with his last words he sets you on the path to recovering Crono. That is very telling of the person he is.

The new DS ending is all about Magus and his sister. It shows his intent clearly. As do the lack of combo techs for him in the game. He doesn't play well with others but can be of some aid with his powerfull AOE single techs. He intends to stop Lavos and can't rely upon anyone else.

Soloing the game with Crono is much easier then doing it with Magus. Magus just never gets any good physical attacks to take out the magic absorbing bit on the left. Crono can one shot this bit and also Lightning is the most powerful spell type in the game. This is because Crono is supposed to have lower magic and as such his lightning will do less damage, requireing the buffing of this spell type. With magic tabs you can get 99 magic with Crono and his Luminare will do about 2.5-5k depending on the targets. Magus is of great use to AOE on the way to bosses and to help power up the rest of the party. Gaining him for the first time is where this character truly shines. His high evade and hit make him very usefull vs Lock enemies aswell. VS the master of magic his barrier ability will cut all damage down by 1/3, making him highly usefull vs Spekko.

Aug 30, 10 at 7:35pm
OzzieSlashFlea

I'm thinking Magus should show up in the next Smash Bros (they let Snake in after all even though Nintendo don't own him). Any thoughts?

Jun 10, 10 at 11:20pm
Oglop

You're right now that I look at it. If we're gonna compare Magus to Vegeta, we should just make a Vegeta:Sinner or Saint? thread on a DBZ forum

Jun 09, 10 at 3:14pm
Wes

Magus has the same receding hairline as Vegeta in that scene.

Jun 07, 10 at 10:36pm
Oglop

That crazy Toriyama. I'll bet he also giggled during that scene saying in his head "Lavos' power level is OVER 9000!!!!!!!"

But I suppose his face did kinda look like Vegeta's. Still can't grasp how much Crono looks like Goku though. He'd better not be the one who inspired Super Saiyan Six