Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Aliens: Colonial Marines » Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 26, 08 at 3:44pmDragonMaster Dyne

Thankfully no.

November 24, 2008 - Gearbox Software President Randy Pitchford has denied rumors that Aliens: Colonial Marines has been cancelled. Cancellation talks surfaced when rumors spread that the sci-fi first-person shooter's development was being halted. "Halted," Pitchford exclaimed, is an "inaccurate characterization."

"Aliens isn't canned," Pitchford told Shacknews. He added, "We've made some transformative changes and yes, that's meant some talent changes, but that's not the real story. The true relevance of the story will actually be irrelevant until we release our next game, at which time I hope there will be a lot of interest in what we've done that can produce such results."

Bolstering the cancellation talks was the fact that Gearbox recently laid off several employees. According to Shacknews, between 15 and 25 employees were let go. One source even placed the count at 26.

Some sources attribute the layoffs to lackluster sales of Gearbox's Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. The console versions of the World War II first-person shooter did not appear in the NPD group's sales chart in either October or September. Though the title did manage to garner a ninth place position on the NPD's PC list for the week of its September 23 launch. However, the game fell off the PC's top 10 list in the subsequent week.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will allow up to four players to play cooperatively together in the universe that was established by the movies. The game was set for a first quarter 2009 launch, although Pitchford did not confirm its release date.

IGN has contacted representatives from both publisher SEGA and developer Gearbox regarding the issue, and will update you as the news comes in.

UPDATE: A SEGA representative has updated IGN with the following confirmation, "Gearbox is still working on Aliens: Colonial Marines for us at SEGA."
Source: ign.com

----

Thought I'd post this because any news concerning the game has been scarce.

Good to hear this game is still being made.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 07, 10 at 2:48pm
DragonMaster Dyne

Aliens: Colonial Marines lives on, as Gearbox's Randy Pitchford said 'there's no need to worry' about the much delayed squad shooter based on the much loved sci-fi franchise.

So long has it been since firm news on Aliens: Colonial Marines that it seemed the game had gone the way of Duke Nukem Forever – a title which Gearbox spectacularly revived at this weekend's PAX. Since Aliens: Colonial Marines was first announced in at the tail-end of 2006 there's been little revealed beyond a handful of screenshots, and its initial launch window of early 2009 sailed by without a peep from either Gearbox or publisher SEGA.

"We have never wavered in our commitment to that game," Pitchford told vg247 in an interview at this weekend's PAX, "Because Gearbox is a multi-team studio and we have multi-team projects, when one game gets its day in the sun I know people tend to worry about the other games. But there's no need to worry at all."

SEGA remained tight-lipped on the game when we enquired on its status late last week, though we'll be probing them for further comment today.
Source: ign.com

---

I JUST WANT THE GAME ALREADY, GEARBOX! CHRIST!

Jul 22, 09 at 1:15pm
pyramidreaper

update

Speaking in an interview with CVG, Gearbox supremo Randy Pitchford revealed that even he is finding it challenging to remain patient for the shooter.

"I know that there hasn't been much talk about what we're doing for awhile and that more details would be very juicy. Like so many people, I've been patient for years to finally be able to play this game and now that I'm actually involved in the creation of it I can tell you that it's extremely challenging to continue to be patient as it develops," he told us.

"I want to tell all! But I can't. But I can say that we are working hard and that there are great things afoot and I know that when the time is right, Sega will be excited to share more details about the game. Until that time, I guess the only thing anyone can do is just keep pressuring Gearbox and Sega to spill more beans. Maybe one of us will eventually crack."

There had been concern over the project after rumours circulated that it'd been canned, and Sega confirmed the FPS wouldn't arrive before AvP in "early 2010". Pitchford assures fans there's nothing to worry about.

"I love Aliens and I love Gearbox Software's Aliens: Colonial Marines. I am extremely committed to the game and I'm very confident in Sega's commitment to the Aliens brand and to our game.

"I can imagine that there are a LOT of Aliens fans out there just like me that feel we've been waiting for our true Aliens game since we first saw the film and now that we know it's in development, we want it NOW!"
let's hope this isn't just for PR and he's not bullshitting.

Jun 17, 09 at 2:21pm
DragonMaster Dyne

Meh. Until we get some actual news/screenshots/anything, I'm going by the assumption that this game will never come out.

I sure hope it does though. Still believe 4-Player Co Op in the Aliens universe would be dope.

Jun 15, 09 at 5:33pm
pyramidreaper

some new info
Aliens: Colonial Marines, Gearbox's Aliens shooter, is still very much on, but won't be arriving this year. When it does hit, there will be a DS version as well though, Gearbox president Randy Pitchford tells Kotaku.

Colonial Marines was first announced in 2006, then slated for a 2008 ship date. Later that was pushed back by retailer listings to mid-2009. But Pitchford said the game won't be coming this year.

He did say that along with working on Borderlands and Aliens: Colonial Marines, Gearbox is also working on two other yet-to-be-announced titles.

Mar 17, 09 at 11:15pm
Gaming Pickle

quote nanobyte
Hopefully its out for Summer 2009, it would definitely be a welcome surprise.
Hehehehe, Yea.. I wanna be in all summer long playing it!

Feb 25, 09 at 12:49pm
nanobyte

Hopefully its out for Summer 2009, it would definitely be a welcome surprise.

Feb 13, 09 at 10:28pm
pyramidreaper

yeah, I've seen that. lame.

Feb 12, 09 at 4:18am
DragonMaster Dyne

A new Aliens vs. Predator game will arrive in early 2010, publisher Sega has announced, with the company noting that AvP will hit before its other two Aliens games.

That means Gearbox's shooter Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC, PS3, 360) and Obsidian's Aliens RPG won't debut until 2010, at the very earliest. Colonial Marines was originally expected last year, and was recently listed as a Q1 2009 release by Sega Europe.

Rumors that Aliens: Colonial Marines was put on hold emerged amidst layoffs, but Gearbox president Randy Pitchford quickly clarified that it wasn't cancelled. Meanwhile, Sega has remained rather quiet about the Aliens RPG since it was revealed in 2006.
Source: shacknews.com

----

Ugh.

Jan 24, 09 at 6:25pm
DragonMaster Dyne

I still find it out that the game is due out for a Q1 release yet we haven't had ANY legit info released to us from Sega/Gearbox besides a few screenshots. I mean, they must be either keeping a really tight lid on the game or the release date is eventually going to be pushed back.

Jan 24, 09 at 2:18pm
Terranigma Fan

Coming soon I see. Good to know that there are some good games coming out this year.