Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Football Manager 2008 » AC Milan Team Guide » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

hideOriginal Post

Aug 20, 08 at 12:35ammat186

Managing Milan is a very fun game. With a squad with an average age of 30, as manager you will need to rebuild one of the greatest clubs in the world and bring through the next generation of milan superstars to replace the ageing players that have served the club so well. there is no room for sentiment. But is there anything more rewarding in FM than grooming your academy graduates into international footballers capable of challenging for europes top prizes? what better team to do that with than the mighty milan? this is a very fun and long lasting game that i would recommend to both seasoned professionals of FM and the Rookies making thier first steps into management.

Good luck!

PLAYERS

GOALKEEPERS

Dida might be getting on a bit now, but he is still a safe pair of hands between the sticks and will do a job for the first couple of seasons no problem.

DEFENDERS

Full-backs Cafu and Oddo will need to push down the right flank, and cross from the by-line as often as possible, which is not an easy task for the 37-year-old Brazilian and Oddo will be first choice when 100 per cent fit. On the opposite flank there will be 39-year-old Paolo Maldini, who can guarantee defensive quality but may struggle to deliver good crosses. His physical stats are poor to say the least and Jankulovski or Kaladze would be a better choice. I recommend using Oddo and Kaladze for the RWB and LWB. However these are the positions that will need the most urgent attention in the transfer market. For CB go with the ever reliable Nesta and Maldini against less mobile forwards with Bonera replacing Maldini against faster strikers or Maldini's lack of pace could be exposed.

MIDFIELDERS

In midfield, Andrea Pirlo will be the playmaker who dictates the tempo of the action, but can get easily marked out of the game if he is deployed in the thick of the action in a crowded midfield, so should be used just in front of the back four in the DM position to spray balls out wide to the full backs and long to the striker. The opposition will be trying to close him down so it is essential that the other midfielders work hard to close the other team down and move intelligently to create space. It is essential that the two CM are good tacklers and distributors of the ball to keep the midfield ticking over. These players will win the ball and then push forward when in possession to support the attacck. Ambrosini and Gatusso fill these requirements and really boss the middle of the park against all but the top opposition, where Gatusso should be assigned a slightly more defensive role. Brocchi supplies adequate back up but can be replaced, the same with Emerson, but his lack of pace could hinder his ability to really get a foothold in the game.

In the more Attacking midfield roles, Kakà and Clarence Seedorf will have the duty of creating openings for the striker as well as getting into the box themselves and should be set to always try for long shots and through balls and Kaka, in particular, to try to dribble into the box and create openings. With Kaka's pace and Seedorf's stamina they will also be expected to drop back when not in possession and help out in the centre of the park. Brocchi, as well as providing cover for CM can cover in the more attacking roles too. Gourcuff is the other cover here, the French starlet is definitely more skilled than his Italian colleague, however Milan may miss some power in the middle of the park.

ATTACKERS

Up front, Ronaldo is a machine against the mid and lower table teams and was my top scorer in the first seson, but will struggle to last 90 minutes. Filippo Inzaghi, the offside-born striker will be preferred to Alberto Gilardino, who should sit on the bench until Pato can play, who should then, by the second season, establish himself in the starting eleven. There is not much variety up front for Milan and the front line could sure use some more pace but all the forwards are prolific on their day and all have very high finishing stats, but only Pato should be considered un-sellable after season one.

FORMATION

Although it may look strange, This is the ideal formation for Milan which utilises their strengths, which predominantly are in the middle of the park with Kaka, Pirlo, Gatusso, Ambrosini, Seedorf. This formation can make use of all of them and creates a balance between defence and attack. With this formation there are always five in attack and five in defence at any one time. It is essential that you have a prolific striker as the spearhead of the team and the wing backs are key to this formation working. On the down side, teams will put 10 men behind the ball and in can be difficult to break the opposition down. In this case the mentality can be set more defensive and play on the counter. Against 4-4-2 opposition with fast wingers and forwards the WBR & WBL should be changed to LB & RB.

OUT ON LOAN
Abbiati or Storari should be used as sub keeper when they return from loan, with the other being sold to add more funds to the kitty. Grimi could be kept for back up or sent out on loan for another season before replacing Jankulovski. Marco Boriello can be used for back up or sold. Young CB Elia Legati has potential but is nowhere near ready for the first team and needs match time if he is to progress. So too does Lino Marzoratti, but have patience! Davide Di Gennaro, with a PA of -9 has could be a class act in a few years time.

MILAN U20S
Davide Ancelotti looks like a promising midfielder and should be introduced to first team duties slowly in the first season where circumstances permit. (cup games, injuries, lesser teams etc.) Emanuele Orlandi, Willy Aubameyang, Francesco Mauri and Mitja Novinic should all be kept an eye on and could develop into decent players for the first team.

TRANSFERS
The team is ok for the first season and has a lot of depth but is VERY old. I would suggest replacing Cafu with Di Silvestre and Emerson with Flamini. (Both on free transfers at the start of the second season) these would be great purchases. Investing in youth players like Tuia and Corradini would also be wise for nominal fees. You then have a decent amount to spend on any other areas that you feel need strengthening.

Aleksander Kolarov, Chiellini and Zambrotta should be high priority targets for the WB positions should you feel these areas need further strenghtening. For the midfield department Angelo Palombo would do a job here. Another AM would do no harm and Lulinha would be a good investment.

Thanks for reading, this is my first guide and i hope this will be of some help to people.

TIPS:

Experiment with the formation, the key to serie a is mixing up the tactics and being very tactically aware. have at least 3 different formations that you can switch to in a game for different situations. (normal, attacking and defensive etc.)

dont be too hasty in getting rid of the older players. they are the ones with expierience and can be very useful in turning games from draws into wins and tutoring the youngsters. serie a is not the most physical league so the physical stats are not as important as in the premiership. However by the same token, players with strength and pace in abundance will really shine and it is up to you as manager to balance technical ability and physical ability across the team as you see fit.

make sure the wing backs are fast otherwise you will get caught out at the back.

be patient with youngsters. most italian players peak later in thier careesrs. Just look at Materazzi, Toni etc.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 28, 09 at 8:45am
Ghetto Prince

quote enzuguri
That formation is awful
I thought that as well, i played the following for my first season as Milan: (sorry no screenie, am at work!)

GK - Dida

LB - Maldini
RB - Oddo
CB - Samba (17 goals in first season!!!!)
CB - Nesta

DM - Pirlo
DM - Gattuso

AML - Kaka
AMR - Seerorf
AMC - Van der Vaart

CF - Aguero

Passing style - through the middle
target man (aguero / pato) - to feet
Zonal marking
Counter attack
Short, slow passing
Pirlo and Gattuso templates as defensive midfielders

Won Serie A and coppa italia (italian cup) in first season

Looking for defensive replacements for Cafu, Oddo and Maldini(although got him as a coach now)

Prince

Aug 25, 08 at 11:27am
mat186

quote enzuguri
That formation is awful
have you tried it then? whats bad about it in particular?

Aug 25, 08 at 9:59am
Daniel Smith

quote enzuguri
That formation is awful
You don't have many friends on neo do you ? If you can be so ignorant like that Im not surprised. Anyways, when was the last time you made a guide eh ?

Aug 25, 08 at 9:23am
KonsK

quote mat186
i had palombo first season for both juventus and lazio before in first season and he was good. Corradini is indeed from parma and ive had him with every italian team ive managed ( about 6 different teams) every coach report ive had on him says he will be leading star - as good as bufon etc. but ive never played a game long enough for him to become established first teamer.
my assistant said that Corradini was not worth buying... strange, very strange... and I think you play Palombo as cover to Gattuso and Ambrosini isn't it?

Aug 25, 08 at 5:04am
enzuguri

That formation is awful

Aug 24, 08 at 10:51pm
mat186

i had palombo first season for both juventus and lazio before in first season and he was good. Corradini is indeed from parma and ive had him with every italian team ive managed ( about 6 different teams) every coach report ive had on him says he will be leading star - as good as bufon etc. but ive never played a game long enough for him to become established first teamer.

Aug 24, 08 at 10:01pm
KonsK

I just add another question: Palombo is good for first season? and Corradini is the goalkeeper from Parma? thanks a lot

Aug 24, 08 at 12:20pm
mat186

quote KonsK
ok I think I've understood what you're trying to say... you have the tactic that you change depending of the opposition...
Exactly! i keep the same tactic for every game, just tweak the team instructions or player intructions if i need to.

quote KonsK
just a thing I would add: probably some player instructions for key players like Kaka, Pirlo or Pato, what do you think?
i agree, ill do this asap.

quote KonsK
most of the transfers are Italian and I like that a team should sign people from their country.
yer i agree, i tend to do this with every team i play as - habit i guess.

Aug 24, 08 at 11:28am
KonsK

ok I think I've understood what you're trying to say... you have the tactic that you change depending of the opposition...

after reading the guide once more, I like very much this guide. just a thing I would add: probably some player instructions for key players like Kaka, Pirlo or Pato, what do you think?

and another thing I liked very much in this guide: most of the transfers are Italian and I like that a team should sign people from their country, nice work!

Aug 23, 08 at 7:49pm
mat186

OK so heres an example of intructions i gave to gattuso before the game i had against Inter in the Italian Cup final.

I reduced his creative freedom and attack mindset a bit, made his passing shorter to try and keep possision, made him close down a bit more to put more pressure on the midfield and most importantly set him to mark Ibrahimovic. This meant that Gattuso would drop back and mark Ibrahimovic allowing the two centre backs and full backs to deal with the other CF and Wingers meaning it was four against three in my favour at the back and gatusso picking Up Ibrahimovic. this did not affect my power in the centre of the park as i still had the other CM and Two AM in midfield. This slight tweak before kick-off enabled me to win 4-1.

As you can see, it all depends on the oppositions game plan as to what you do to counter them and there is no set guide what to do. you just have to think about it logically and do what you think will work. this is really only applicable to game against high standard of opposition such as Inter. Normally you can get away without having to do these tedious little things, but its all worth it when your tactics and teaking come off in the end like it did here for me. Other times it wont work, but thats the beuaty of football!

i hope this explains it a little better.