Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » User Reviews Critiques and Help » Lukas's Reviews » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/PS2/Ico/userreviews.html?reviewid=35541
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jul 19, 08 at 1:31amLukas

Hello all! Mainly just dumping reviews that I type out for all you wonderful people. My main platforms are PS3, PS2 and PC but there'll be some room for other consoles.

Rating System:
0 - *bleep* you
Games that are really really *bleep*ing bad get this score. Thankfully, it's only reserved for the likes of Ninjabread Man and Superman 64.

1 - Mi Krop
These games *bleep*ing suck.

2 - Shit
These games are pretty bad, but you know for a fact that there's worse out there.

3 - Bad
Eh, they mean well at least. That... counts for something, right?

4 - Below average
They do more wrong than right, but aren't that offensive.

5 - Average
Like a void of nothing. Just... complete nothingness.

6 - Above average
They do more right then wrong, but aren't really good.

7 - Good
They tend to be good, but they have some screws loose that stop them from being OH MY GOD MUST BUY!!!

8 - Great
Besides some small issues, these tend to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

9 - *bleep*ing excellent
Why the *bleep* haven't you got this already? What are you waiting for, Nintendo to release it?

10 - Better than sex!!!
Just as rare as the *bleep* You rating, this is reserved for the very absolute *bleep*ing best of the best.

There you have it.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 14, 14 at 6:56am
Stalagmite

quote Lukas
most of it boils down to the fact that it was really short and rushed. what was there was all fun and exciting, but on the whole, you could get that out of any of the other Ratchet And Clank games but way better! I get that it's a bit of an unfair double standard, but that's sadly how it is.
Just struck me as odd since even based on what you've said here, it doesn't really sound like it was rushed (besides the story's pacing). You never even made an effort to make it sound like a lesser Ratchet And Clank game; you actually make it sound like the best game since Up Your Arsenal!

quote Lukas
hey, you'll have to ask Revengeance how that feels since it won't have the rest of the series to worry about with its final grade (partially because of its different gameplay style and partially because Revengeance is the only Metal Gear game I've actually finished). it's just short, rushed, redundant in its longer levels and poorly written with a side helping of an occasionally bad camera and kind of wonky Blade Mode (*bleep* YOU FINAL BOSS!!!!).
But because the bosses are so awesome and the levels are fun before they get boring, the game is good by default.

Sorry, I just find that the combat engine is loose and doesn't feel as good as the likes of Bayonetta, Devil May Cry and God Of War... oh wait, I forgot you're not a huge God Of War fan. :3

Sep 05, 14 at 10:21am
Lukas

quote Solid Snake 4Life
Reading through your Riptos Rage review Lukas and I just noticed in the first paragraph you wrote something like "It's not as if all the improvements are home runners" when it should just be home runs

Unless this is a reference to something that just flew over my head lol.
i actually thought home runners was the correct term.

quote Stalagmite
it's a tad odd considering you've given Into The Nexus a 7.5 despite everything you've said making it sound like you were going to give it an 8/10 rating.
most of it boils down to the fact that it was really short and rushed. what was there was all fun and exciting, but on the whole, you could get that out of any of the other Ratchet And Clank games but way better! I get that it's a bit of an unfair double standard, but that's sadly how it is.

hey, you'll have to ask Revengeance how that feels since it won't have the rest of the series to worry about with its final grade (partially because of its different gameplay style and partially because Revengeance is the only Metal Gear game I've actually finished). it's just short, rushed, redundant in its longer levels and poorly written with a side helping of an occasionally bad camera and kind of wonky Blade Mode (*bleep* YOU FINAL BOSS!!!!).

Sep 03, 14 at 2:44pm
Solid Snake 4Life

Reading through your Riptos Rage review Lukas and I just noticed in the first paragraph you wrote something like "It's not as if all the improvements are home runners" when it should just be home runs

Unless this is a reference to something that just flew over my head lol.

Aug 28, 14 at 9:19am
Stalagmite

quote Monterey Jack
quote Stalagmite
Understandable if you're commending Murdered: Soul Suspect on being more subtle about it
he IS commending it on being more subtle about it and how it's not annoyingly scripted like LA Noire!
Right. Sorry Lukas, either I read something wrong or missed that part.

quote Monterey Jack
top kek @ your entire post btw. i agree with you on the whole supporting cast thing and how his justification's a bit lame, but holy shit
haha I have to admit, I can be a bit overbearing, but when I get confused, I'll want answers and I'll do anything to get them.

With that being said, upon rereading it, I get most of his points - not that I didn't before, but I have a better understanding of why he liked how the gameplay was laid out in the game. I still find his assessment of the side characters and score to be something well worth criticizing (never mind disagreeing with), but if he feels completely justified, he can take or leave my input. That's just how it goes.

Aug 24, 14 at 7:27am
Monterey Jack

quote Stalagmite
Understandable if you're commending Murdered: Soul Suspect on being more subtle about it
he IS commending it on being more subtle about it and how it's not annoyingly scripted like LA Noire!

top kek @ your entire post btw. i agree with you on the whole supporting cast thing and how his justification's a bit lame, but holy shit

Aug 23, 14 at 1:28am
Stalagmite

Lukas

So... let me try to get this straight.

You found the main lead to only be occasionally witty and only mostly interesting, the secondary lead to only really work with Ronan, the supporting cast to be okay and their unremarkability justified because it takes place over one night (that sounds *bleep*ing stupid), the gameplay to be decent and the stealth to be one part tense and one part annoying, yet Murdered: Soul Suspect gets an 8/10 where you'd give a game that's more hyped up or well known like Assassin's Creed 3 and LA Noire a much lower score and a much harsher review.

I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused.

First off, the supporting cast is just uninteresting. There's no justification. Knock the game on that.

Next off, the overly scripted nature of the game leading to there being no fail state during certain segments is something you should criticize a game for. That, too, has no justifiable reason to be. Understandable if you're commending Murdered: Soul Suspect on being more subtle about it, but the fact of the matter is that there's no fail state and thus no real gameplay to be found in those segments where you have to sneak Joy around. You're basically just pressing buttons for the hell of it.

Finally, an 8/10 is way too generous with all things considered. I'd expect a 7 based solely on what you've said; even if you think the good parts of the story are really good and the gameplay worked out as well as it could've, you're forgetting that it's a video game and not a movie. To me, it sounds like you're shilling for the game, which is not, at all, what I'd read a user review for. Ever. Perhaps I'm making a bigger deal out of certain things because I wasn't so fond of the game myself, but at the end of the day, all of the enthusiasm in the world can't mend the parts of the review that just make no sense - and sound plain stupid in the case of your justification for the supporting cast being bland.

Edit - it's a tad odd considering you've given Into The Nexus a 7.5 despite everything you've said making it sound like you were going to give it an 8/10 rating. My apologies if I'm fussing over the numerical rating, but in some cases, I'd like it to make some semblance of sense.

Aug 04, 14 at 7:59am
Alyssa

quote Jak
Just seems like you've upped your game lately, that's all.
Noticed this myself, actually. Seems like he really took what Praetorian_Lord said in that "Playing To Your Strengths" thread to heart.

Aug 01, 14 at 6:01am
Lukas

quote Jak
Lukas, I'm totally waiting for you to review something like Rogue Legacy or even Rogue itself and just give us this huge rant about roguelikes and whatnot.
actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll get to it soon.

quote Jak
Definitely loving the stuff you've put out this year, easily some of the most fun reviews I've read. Then again, your reviews are generally fun to read, so it's no big surprise. Just seems like you've upped your game lately, that's all.
cheers dude appreciate it

Jul 28, 14 at 9:27pm
Jak

Lukas, I'm totally waiting for you to review something like Rogue Legacy or even Rogue itself and just give us this huge rant about roguelikes and whatnot.

Definitely loving the stuff you've put out this year, easily some of the most fun reviews I've read. Then again, your reviews are generally fun to read, so it's no big surprise. Just seems like you've upped your game lately, that's all.

Mar 11, 14 at 11:27pm
Alyssa

Just a quick question - when you said that the R&C formula was getting old, were you just referring to the weapons? Because when I read the first paragraph, you make it sound like the whole thing was old and yet, you still go on about it being fun and all that, only saying that the weapons have gotten old. Or maybe I'm not reading it right.