Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Flying Lotus » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Jun 25, 08 at 8:26pmShattered Silence

quote Wikipedia
Flying Lotus (né Steven Ellison) is a hip-hop music producer, disc jockey, and laptop musician from Winnetka, California. His debut album, 1983, was released on Plug Research Records in 2006. He is most famous (yet also uncredited) for the music in the many of the segues of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, and he has also contributed remixes to fellow Plug Research artists, including Mia Doi Todd. His great-aunt is the late Alice Coltrane. He is affectionately referred to as 'FlyLo' by fans and critics.

He signed to Warp Records in 2007, and released the six-track Reset EP in the same year, and is set to release a follow-up album titled Los Angeles on June 10th, 2008. He is also set to release a set of three EPs, the first one due to be released on June 30th.
Myspace

Discography:
1983 (2006)
Reset [EP] (2007)
Los Angeles (2008)
L.A. EP 1 X 3 [EP] (2008)

I don't think I've heard a hip-hop producer with better beats than Flying Lotus. He's just an incredible musician. I've recently bought Los Angeles, and it's fast becoming one of my favourite albums ever. It feels really organic, and has a very relaxing atmosphere. Definitely worth listening to.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 9, 13 at 12:34am
C Falcon

Really good stuff. I've been listening to him a lot lately and I wish I found his stuff earlier. Just listened to Cosmogramma all the way through for the first time tonight. Got some really good beats.

Nov 29, 12 at 11:35am
spook

quote Lupin3rd
That new Deltron's been rumoured forever, we live in hope.
It was supposed to be out in September, according to Dan. They had some tweaks to make or something, some segue stuff to finalize.

At least "I Have Seen" is sounding good.

Nov 29, 12 at 11:18am
Lupin3rd

That new Deltron's been rumoured forever, we live in hope.

quote D I O S
I didn't say... How did... Huh?
Whoa, weird, sorry about that. Sloppy quoting, of myself.

I have not heard Until The Quiet Comes.

Nov 29, 12 at 10:51am
spook

This guy and Dan the Automator are without a doubt my favorite producers. So smooth. I could listen to Kill Your Co-Workers for days.

Nov 29, 12 at 10:19am
D I O S

I didn't say... How did... Huh?
Anyway yeah, good tape. Hardly a classic but some proper standout tracks on there, especially Killing Joke which excites both hip hop nerd and comic book need in me.

Nov 29, 12 at 9:37am
Lupin3rd

quote orion chuzzlewitt
I want my tracks split!
Okay.

quote Lupin3rd
I've recognised Earl here and there
That will have been the feature then. Turns out Flying Lotus was Captain Murphy after all, neato.
Madlib and FlyLo finally hooked up, good for them.

Nov 19, 12 at 12:13pm
orion chuzzlewitt

^^^Nice. His twitter is hilarious too. Duality deluxe version drops November 28th. I want my tracks split!

Nov 19, 12 at 6:40am
Lupin3rd

Captain Murphy: Duality album.

Just popping this here since FlyLo appears to be the mastermind behind it, if not actually is Capt. Murph at times, though I've recognised Earl here and there, Tyler, is it Zeroh?!, oh who knows, it's one big fun Clutchy Hopkinsesque mystery and it's a dope listen.

Oct 3, 12 at 11:39am
D I O S

Slightly disappointed with the middle of the album (from See Thru To You to Only If You Wanna), especially the title track, but the start and finish are just great. The run from Electric Candyman to the end is brilliant, me Yesterday//Corded is beautiful. Nothings caught me quite as well as Putty Boy Strut so far though, won't be the last time I listen to it by any means though so I'll probably come back to that.

Not sure where I'd rank Until The Quiet Comes yet, it's stronger tracks are some of his best but that middle part stops it being a massive stand-out for me.

Oct 3, 12 at 2:53am
EricF

FEATURED ARTIST (OCT 3 - OCT 10 2012)

BAND ACTIVITY

Until the Quiet Comes, Flying Lotus's fourth studio album, was released on the 27th of last month so fans would've only got an opportunity to check it out a few days ago. Admittedly, I haven't listened to it yet, but it's nice to see Thom Yorke feature on another one of his tracks, I'll be sure to check that out very shortly. There are 18 songs on the album and the whole thing runs just over 46 minutes which could be considered short when you look at how many tracks are on there. Anyway! I'm gonna check it out very soon and will be sure to give my opinion on it. He's currently touring the Americas and has recently come back from supporting some gigs with Animal Collective. His London date on November 3rd has been cancelled but I'm sure those who were supposed to go have found out already. Other dates in the UK are Manchester on the 9th of November, and London again on the 16th.

RECOMMENDED TRACKS