Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » Join the Neoseeker News Team! » Post Reply

Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 10, 08 at 8:39pmRedemption

Join the news team!

Neoseeker is now looking for talented and dedicated volunteer news staff to help report on the daily happenings in games and technology. News that you write will appear on the Neoseeker homepage and in the news page.

If you are interested please read the requirements and then How to Apply.

What this position entails

Members of our news team write full length news articles that go beyond just repeating what is being said elsewhere. The news should contain that extra flair of personality and personal knowledge that give the stories more individuality. Writing should include intelligent, sometimes witty and tongue in cheek statements, extra background knowledge, and should have a writing style that engages the reader and keeps them interested.

Requirements

Read the following list before applying.
  • You must have excellent writing skills. You must have good grammar, spelling, and a decent and interesting writing style. We are not looking for monotony, but flavour and engagement!
  • You should be very aware of what's happening in the gaming and/or tech industries.
  • You should be an avid enthusiast of gaming, or technology.
  • You must read, on a daily basis, various news sources.
  • Consistency: You must be able to commit to 1-2 articles per day, or no fewer than 6 articles per week. Alternately, weekend positions may be available with a lower total quota.

How to apply:

To apply, send a "mini-resume" and introductory information via PM to chautemoc or RabidChinaGirl, after which they may ask you for samples.

The mini resume should include:
  1. Your real name
  2. Your address
  3. Education sections
  4. Former/current employment
  5. Specific availability (mornings, weekends, year-round, etc)
The introductory information should include more information about your background and your interests in this area.

The news sample should be written in your own words, include a source URL, and should be about something that occurs on the day of your submission to staff.

References from Neoseeker

Although this is a volunteer position, we take it seriously and will supply job references for those who hold the position for greater than six months. Job references can take the form of formal letters on Neoseeker letterhead or phone references by chautemoc, RabidChinaGirl and/or Redemption.

***Serious applicants only please. We will reply to all applicants who fulfill the "How to apply" PROPERLY so please read this through carefully before submitting anything. If you are not a member of Neoseeker, register first. You have to have an account regardless to post in our news system so this is a first step.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 28, 12 at 6:08am
Jeremy

I'm still very interested in this, but the problem is, I'm only guaranteed to be available on weekends, and that makes me feel bad. As soon as I can get more consistent, I'll definitely be applying (mainly a message to Veggie so he doesn't think I'm a flake).

Oct 27, 12 at 9:18pm
Spook

Is this a situation where applications are always being taken? 'Cause I was thinking it would be neat to have my stuff edited on a professional grade, on the side. It sounds like a good opportunity.

Oct 14, 11 at 6:53am
VeGiTAX2

I think so, you might want to check with RabidChinaGirl and chautemoc to be sure though. While I do all the bookings and arrangements I don't actually oversee the writing unless it's a legal issue for the team. (NDA restrictions and such)

Oct 14, 11 at 6:36am
Jax06

Excellent, that's what I have! (: And with Forza 4's new release, there's a big-name game right there just waiting to peak into the newsroom.

Are the guidelines in the original post still current and the way to apply, VeGiTAX2?

Oct 14, 11 at 6:19am
VeGiTAX2

Xbox 360 racing actually Jax06. Heath handles all of our PS3 racing titles fine and Sean is comfortable with most of the offerings on the PC. I guess there's the Wii too but those are really limited.

Oct 14, 11 at 5:49am
Jax06

Does that include racing games, VeGiTAX2? I play and heavily follow just about every racing game and would love to make a contribution if you're looking for someone with expertise on the racing genre.

Oh and I have a minor in creative writing at my university as well.

Oct 14, 11 at 12:38am
Chelskiman

Highbury Highs could be an excellent PES writer if he has the time.

Oct 13, 11 at 11:42pm
Fatal Error

Ah, too bad. I am interested in actual sports writing but not so much sports game writing (I really don't play them). Sports would be a good realm to expand into for Neoseeker, but it obviously isn't part of the Neoseeker niche. Would perhaps be an option for more global appeal in the future, however.

Oct 13, 11 at 11:03pm
VeGiTAX2

Close, sports gaming haha. We're not exactly ready to go head on into the realm of real-time sports. Chances are that would be an entirely different department.

Currently targetting US sports titles and FIFA/PES/FM overseas.

Oct 13, 11 at 10:55pm
Fatal Error

You guys are actually going to have sports writers? Intriguing, but the issue with sports is that you'll generally want an entire staff of sport-specific writers because it is very difficult to have a person focus on, say, more than two sports at a time.