Mario Kart is a franchise that has been with us for over a decade, and has included (Counts Fingers) 6 games on consoles (And two arcades, but I'm not including them). And over all of them, we've had many memories over manytracks. Here, we can opinionate what our favorite tracks are from the whole series.
Mine might change after a while, so beware of my edits.
20. Koopa Beach 1: SNES- Koopa Beach 1 for the Super Nintendo was the first Mario Kart Track to be more water then land, and then, it was a good thing. You moved just as fast on the shallow water then you did on land, so you could easily avoid computer items. Also, if you stayed close on the inside, you could make it an easy win, and even overlap computers.
19. Yoshi Circuit: GCN-Yoshi Circuit for the Gamecube was unique because it was the shape of a Yoshi on the overview, yet looked like a normal track while racing. With numerous shortcuts, and turns to test your drifts, this circuit was certainly unique and one to be remembered for.
18. Peach Gardens: DS- Peach Gardens for the DS had been one of my favorite tracks from the game solely because it stood out from all of the others. It seemed to be easy in it's competition with the other tracks in the Special Cup, like the exciting maze of Wario Stadium, the Dark and Gloomy Bowser's Castle, and the anxiety filled Rainbow Road. However, with numerous hazards like monty moles and a large number of Chain Chomps, this track was no walk in the park, giving it a spot on the list.
17. Mushroom Gorge: Wii- This was one of the first tracks in the newest titles, yet the first one to pick up the pace. Not only could you fall off now, but you could perform stunts, and take numerous routes along the way. This track definatley will be remembered in the future.
16. Mushroom Bridge: GCN- Mushroom Bridge was like Toad Turnpike, but with breathtaking views, and better graphics. It seemed more like a real highway with cars now going in two directions. There were also signs on many of the buses that got us into some interest. At the end of the lap, there was the descision to play it safe and stay in the middle or take a risk and use the boosts on the side.
15. Banshee Boardwalk: N64- This is one of the darkest courses on my countdown, but it was very fun and well themed. I liked the empty harbor house part, with the bats and such,and the end seemed to welcome many close races.
14. Maple Treeway: Wii- This track for the Wii gave space for many skills to be used, whether it be drifting, stunts, or placement of items, there was something for everyone to use to get themselves ahead. With it's twists and turns, Maple Treeways deserves this spot on the list.
13. Sky Garden: GBA- Though it's not my favorite on the list, Sky Garden deserves to be here because of it's difficulty, despite being a farely simple course. There were no hazards, besides the immediate drop. However, you had to use your mushrooms carefully. One false boost, and you'd be flying off.
12.Waluigi's Pinball: DS- This was definately one of the most unique stages of Mario Kart DS. With all of the flashy colors and the pinball themed twists and turns ending in an opening down the actual gameboard, this track was definately a stand out.
11. Ribbon Road: GBA- Ribbon Road was my favorite track from Super Mario Super Circuit. The Music Was Exciting. There were many jumps and booster pads, and it was where the skill was seperated from the unskilled. You had to be good to enjoy this stage.
10. Delfino Square: DS- Delfino Square from Mario Kart DS was another track that mostly everyone enjoyed. It could be the least hated track in the whole game. Not too easy for the skilled, yet not too hard for the new comers. The theme of Super Mario Sunshine showed through the statues, harbor, and the architecture. With many shortcuts, this gave place to a new generation of exciting races, and kicks off the top ten.
9. Airship Fortress: DS-The Airship Fortress is by far my favorite track from the DS. It brought back many memories from Super Mario World 3, which was my favorite game from the original format. It was interesting to see what it would look like in 3-d, and we got a great taste from this track, giving it a great ranking on the list.
8. Yoshi's Valley: N64- Yoshi's Valley is great because it gives fear to all racers because the it gave racers the fear of the unknown. It featured so many alternate routes, that you could go on for a few weeks racing, and still find differant routes. WHile the shortest Route is still unknown, it makes for even more fun as you never know how you'll end up in Yoshi's Valley.
7. Wario's Stadium: N64-One of my first Mario Karts was Mario Kart 64, and the track I played the most by far was Wario Stadium. This track seemed to be professional in every sense, with fans cheering everywhere, and even a big screen TV that you could see yourself on. Near the end was the giant jump, which proved to be one of the best places to make an enemy go from second to last.If they didn't go over the jump with full speed, they wouldn't make it.
6. Daisy's Cruiser: GCN- Daisy Cruiser was one of the best courses on Mario Kart Double Dash. Though the game had one of the least amounts of tracks, and Daisy Cruiser was a very short course, it made up for it in originality and detail. I've been on twocruises, and I am a huge fan, so when I saw this course,I was amazed. From the pool deck to the dining room, this Ship was a great track to be in the Mario Kart Series, and needs to be in the next Retro Courses.
5. Rainbow Road: SNES- THough Rainbow Road is famous in all the Mario Karts, I have to stick my gut out for the original. Everyone was amazed, to see this multi-colored and jazzy music that was differant from the rest of the whole game. And then, everyone hated it because there were no edges, and no room to safety. The SNES Rainbow Road deserves to be here because it was the first.
4. Royal Raceway: N64- Out of all the Mario Kart 64 Cups, The Star Cup was the one everyone chose, because it had four amazing tracks. Sherbet Land, Wario Stadium ,Bowser's Castle, and of course Royal Raceway. One of the longer tracks, but it proved to be great because of a Super Mario 64 Cameo. You could actually go to the Castle! Of course, you'd fall into last. Otherwise, the Giant Ramp and all the twists and Turns made this a track for the skilled.
3. DK's Snowboard Crossing: Wii- Definately Unique. On this track, you could do stunts off of everything. From the Shoot up, down towards the Dangerous Turns towards the Halfpipe Finish, this Course was full of Action and the positions were always changing until the end. Margin for error had to be low for victory.
2. Mushroom City: GCN- By Far my favorite Track of the game. Every since I was a little kid, When I went into the city to see my grandparents, I was fascinated by all of the lights. And this track gave so much memories from it. Also, there were many routes to take, slong with the hazards of heavy traffic. This Track couldn't get better. Except for being in the Retro of an upcoming Mario Kart.
1. Bowser's Castle: N64- Bowser's Castles are always filled with two things. Lava and traps. And The N64 was one of the most memorable. It was the first one to take you inside the castle, and actually make it look like a place where Bowser could live. (Unlike the others, which were only with rooms filled with traps and such) Through the Living Quarters and Courtyards, and a Race To The Finish on the rooftop, This Track is truely the best.
And that's my ranking. What's yours? It doesn't have to be anywhere as detailed.
Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)
May 19, 13 at 1:57pm
These are the 20 best courses in my opinion, going in order by game:
One of the hardest courses in the game, but fun, because of the challenge.
19. Wii Toad's Factory
A good course, especially because along with Mushroom Gorge, it is one of the better courses in the Mushroom Cup.
18. N64 Choco Mountain
Fun course. Makes me hungry!
17. GBA Luigi Circuit
Those twisty turns make me dizzy...
16. Wii DK's Snowboard Cross
I can really feel the adrenaline pumping in this course...
15. SNES Mario Circuit 1
The classics are always the best.
14. SNES Ghost Valley 1
Spooky, yet medium difficulty. For Mushroom Cup.
12. N64 Mario Raceway
The music is epic!
11. GBA Sky Garden
It was so short, but so challenging!
10. Wii Maple Treeway One of the best courses in the game imo.
9. DS Wario Stadium
A blast to play on.
8. DS Luigi's Mansion
Clearly the best course in MKDS.
7. N64 Banshee Boardwalk
The scariest course I've ever raced on. The bats make it look haunted!
6. Wii Mushroom Gorge
Best course of the Mushroom Cup. Bouncing on the Mushrooms were so fun!
5. SNES Mario Circuit 3
As is the tradition of SMK, short but challenging.
4. DS Peach Gardens
This course was awesome because there were so many paths to take!
3. DS Delfino Square
Yet another fun course.
2. Wii Wario's Gold Mine
The mine carts made the course great.
1. WII RAINBOW ROAD!
THE BEST COURSE OF ALL TIME!
Jan 05, 13 at 11:15pm
Also, I know I shouldn't be doing this but I'm going to list the WORST 5 Mario kart maps that I've played on with 1 being the worst! 5: Rainbow Road Wii: I was pretty disappointed about this rainbow road. I seemed to always like the rainbow roads when they came out but I was just not impressed with this one. Pus, I'm terrible at this course and I hate it anyways. 4: Sherbet land N64: I just hate this map, thats all I could say. The ice, the slipping and slidding, the stupid penguins? I mean, like f this course. 3: Moonview highway Wii: Ok I'll admit that I enjoy racing on Mushroom Bridge for GCN but I do not enjoy racing on this! Every single time, there is always a bob-omb in a kart waiting to blow me up. It's like it only comes after me, always me. I swear I'm a car magnet. 2: Shy guy beach GBA: Two words for this map. BS 1: Coconut mall: Even though you have those players saying that they love this and you have some of them saying they don't enjoy it, I simply just HATE it more than any other freakin' map in Mario kart! I honestly think that this map is a load of crap and it was just a waste of a course! Ok, most of you may think that I'm full of BS but hey, thats my opinion. The course is crap.
Jan 05, 13 at 11:01pm
Ok I can only name my top 10 atm so here they are: 10: Yoshi circuit GCN: I love this course because of its unique design and it just seems fun overall to race on. I also love it when that Yoshi copter flies over you at the finish line 9: Baby circuit GCN: I enjoy racing on this course because of all of the mayhem going on inside of this tiny course. Its fun as you are always running into other racers, items, and overlapping your opponents. 8: Dino land GCN: I don't know if its just me but I love this course. The dinosaur in the middle is always causing problems for the racers. I also like the scenery inside of the cave. 7: Mushroom Gorge Wii: This course always seem to bring a twist to Mario kart as you seem to be doing a lot more stunts than actually racing. Overall, the mushrooms provide a great overall feel for this course. 6: Toad Factory Wii: I just simply love this map. From the first time I played it, I was very impressed with the scenery and the obsticles. Its like your the product going threw a conveyor belt. First you get crushed, then you get boxed, next you get transported, and finally you're thrown away. 5: Waluigi Stadium GGN: Whenever I race on this course, I always seem to feel like I'm actually there standing in that stadium and racing for real. I know it sounds insane but with all of the people cheering, it just seems to motivate me to do so much more better. 4: Airship Fortess DS: I enjoy playing on this track because there seems to be an obsticle wherever you go. The bullet bills launching at you, the monty moles coming out of the potholes, and the launcher in the side of the wall. It all seems like an extremely creative course and I love it! 3: Desert hills DS: I'm not sure why but I seem to enjoy this desert map so much more than the Dry Dry desert for GCN. This one just seems to have many more turns, hills and pokeys. I love this map and I'm also very good at it 2: Grumble Volcano Wii: This map is just truely amazing. From the first time I've played on it, I was blown away. The scenery was amazing, the obsticles were amazing, hell the whole course itself is awesome! With the fire catterpillar things jumping around and causing mayhem over the course and the fireballs launching at you. Amazing effort was put into making this course. 1: Koopa Cape Wii: I'm sorry but this track is clearly the BEST track I have ever played on in all of my years of Mario karting. I've played Mario kart since I was a little kid when the SNES (original Mario kart) came out. But in all of my years of playing, I've never, ever, EVER found this a course to be so amazing and addicting as this one. I mean, the scenery is inspiring and amazing! I love it how you travel through the rapids and into the pipe systems. Not only that but believe it or not, I've played on this course at least 100 times and out of those 100 times, I've always came in 1st place. No matter how many times people race me, I always win on this course. I know it like its the back of my head. I'm just so good at it. Even on wifi or 150cc, I've never been defeated, I've placed first every single time! Whenever my friends come over, nobody ever wants to race on Koopa cape because they say "Don't choose it! He's going to end up winning!" And sure enough I win. So those are my favourite courses.
Jan 17, 12 at 5:05am
I'll list my top 15 favorite:
SNES: 1. Rainbow Road (Best Rainbow Road ever)
N64: 2. Bowser's Castle (I love seeing the CPU squished by Thwomps!) 3. Yoshi Valley (The giant egg!!) 4. Choco Mountain (Fun, good music)
GBA: 5. Bowser Castle 3 (Good music)
GCN: 6. Peach Beach (Short but relaxing) 7. Daisy Cruiser (Racing on a ship? Awesome!) 8. Wario Colosseum (Long and challenging, but fun) 9. Yoshi Circuit (Shaped just like the owner!)
DS: 10. Peach Gardens (The best in the DS!) 11. Luigi's Mansion (Fun, walking trees!) 12. Waluigi Pinball (Unique, great music)
Wii: 13. Mushroom Gorge (Bouncy mushrooms!!) 14. Koopa Cape (One of the best ever made) 15. DK Summit (So many opportunities to pull off tricks!)
Dec 31, 11 at 9:57am
Super Star 2009
Mine personally is..., 1. Bowser Castle 2.Rainbow Road 3.warios mine 4.maple tree way 5.mushroom gorge Hehe.. That's mine;)
Dec 31, 11 at 1:02am
*troll face* AAARRRRRRRRGG
Y NO ONE PUT THIS TRACK?!
1. N64 Kalimari Desert Oh come on! This is timeless, classic, original, and fun as hell! It's also great if you're a train person as well! Besides, its great to watch the idiot AI players to hit the train at full throttle!
2. N64 Toad's Turnpike This is the track that started all the traffic-themed courses we all love! With the crazy mirror mode, and giant lane-hogging vehicles, what's not to love?
3. SNES Rainbow Road No need to explain this, the first of the ever-treacherous tracks!
4. N64 Yoshi Valley Well its a giant maze and one wrong turn and you're heading right back to square one!
5. Wii Coconut Mall Its racing in a mall! Who hasn't wanted to do this?
Well that's my top 5!
If you haven't guessed, I love the N64 tracks, but (kinda almost) all are great!