Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Radiohead [II] » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

May 22, 08 at 9:46pmShattered Silence

Last Thread

Continue discussion.

If someone wants to provide a good first post, feel free to PM it to me.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 16, 16 at 1:25pm
Iscariot

here's an interesting tidbit I found regarding the final track, "true love waits."
apparently the song is some two decades old, having been performed and referenced in various iterations during the band's lifespan.

it's obviously evolved quite a bit in that time, but I really like this version from the early days a lot.

what's kind of eerie, to me, is how we finally got a release after all this time. it almost feels like the band is signing off with this final revision.

May 15, 16 at 6:24am
Shadow of Death

Well, I've listened to each track a couple of times (Burn the Witch and Daydreaming aside, as I've listened to each of those several times more). The album is solid, very Radiohead sounding. It's mostly the first two that stand out for me though, the rest being like most of Radiohead's catalogue, "pleasant to listen to but not especially memorable" at least so far as I'm concerned. One or two felt almost like I'd heard them before though.

'Glass Eyes' and 'True Love Waits' were both pretty close to being memorable though.

May 11, 16 at 9:07am
EvilTediz597

Didn't know till today that the Spectre track is up for free on soundcloud. Gotta grab it.

May 11, 16 at 8:21am
Iscariot

I picked up the digital (would've opted for the cd, but without a download, I wasn't about to wait around for it to ship).
listening to on very low volume now as I'm at work. a lot of calm, serene ambiance stands out here. strings and piano are very welcome additions found in the front half of the album, but I can't help noticing a complete lack of percussion on multiple tracks so far ("daydreaming", "glass eyes").

I'll have to give it a full listen with my good headphones once I'm back home to really get a better feel for it. liking it more than king of limbs so far, in any case, and it sounds like radiohead should sound.

May 11, 16 at 7:54am
EricF

They did release that unused Spectre song that wasn't selected for the Bond movie but I'm pretty sure that's all prior to the new album.

May 11, 16 at 7:18am
Mister MacPhisto

For some odd reason I thought they'd done something since King of Limbs.

May 10, 16 at 6:26am
Saeglopur

Listening through it now. Lovely stuff so far. I didn't even know it was on the way really, so it's a nice surprise as well. I know they've had things going on and off for a while though. I'm definitely enjoying it so far anyway, probably more for a first listen than any of their albums for a long time to be honest.

May 10, 16 at 5:43am
Iscariot

quote EricF
I'm hearing quite a good bit of Hail to the Thief from here thankfully.
that was immediately where my head went upon listening to burn the witch for the first time. and to me, that's excellent news.

May 10, 16 at 3:47am
EricF

Really like the album after a bit more time with it (typical Radiohead). Ful Stop is brilliant, so too is Decks Dark. I'm hearing quite a good bit of Hail to the Thief from here thankfully.

May 09, 16 at 10:09pm
Big A2

quote hbn
Anyway, I've preordered my CD. Wish it came in a jewel case rather than a gatefold case, because as nice as they can make the artwork look, jewel cases are more convenient and easier to store and also more durable. That's largely by the by though.
I think digipaks are more environmentally friendly, as they can be made from recycled materials and decompose quicker if thrown out. Probably why they appeal to an environmentally-conscious band like Radiohead. I agree that I prefer jewel cases for their durability though. In Rainbow's idea of encouraging people to re-use old jewel cases was nice.

Anyway, I've been using a free trial of Tidal to listen to it until the CD version comes out. I think it's fantastic. Not "nothing you've ever heard before" like their manager said, but actually the better for it. The focus on orchestration makes me very happy. Decks Dark, Indentikit, The Numbers, and (of course) True Love Waits are the highlights for me so far.