Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General DS and DSi » Homebrew Guide » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the forum, feel free to look around and enjoy yourself. If you have a question about Neoseeker then feel free to ask. Anything DS related is welcome too (of course)!
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

DJ KK Gracie Gracie Isabelle KK Slider Kicks Leif Redd Reese Timmy and Tommy Tom Nook Bluebear Cheri Pudge Stitches Rudy Kiki Tangy Tangy Beau Cherry Goldie Hamlet Julian Melba Tex Ruby Poppy Chief Lobo Skye Wolfgang Black Cosmos Black Roses Black Tulips Blue Pansies Blue Roses Orange Cosmos Orange Pansies Orange Roses Pink Cosmos Pink Roses Pink Tulips Purple Pansies Purple Roses Purple Tulips Red Cosmos Red Pansies Red Roses Red Tulips White Cosmos White Pansies White Roses White Tulips Yellow Cosmos Yellow Pansies Yellow Roses Yellow Tulips Gold Roses Axe Rod Net Shovel Slingshot Watering Can Golden Axe Golden Rod Golden Net Golden Shovel Golden Slingshot Golden Watering Can Apple Cherries Orange Peach Pear Bamboo Seed Coconut Durian Lemon Lychee Mango Persimmon Pond Smelt Red Snapper Agrius Butterfly Bell Bag Candy Fossil Gyroid Party Popper Pitfall Seed Present Shirt Umbrella Wallpaper Sweets House Pink Riboon Purple Ribbon Large Acorn Rotting Acorn Small Acorn Acorn New Leaf

hideOriginal Post

Jan 07, 08 at 12:18amTainted

Thanks to monkey_ninjas316 for inspiring this idea with his PSP Homebrew Guide!

What Is Homebrew?

Homebrew is software that is user made. This software can allow the user to do more than what was originally possible on the DS, such as play music, send emails, or even play homebrew games (the legal ones, of course).

How Do I Get Homebrew?

To run homebrew on the Nintendo DS, you must first get a cartidge that is built to run homebrew. The best kits available are the R4, the M3, and the DSTT. If you buy these, you must also get a Micro SD card to store all of your applications.

In the early days of homebrew, most applications were made to work on a slot-2 device. These fit into the GBA slot and ran using the GBA software. For this reason, many of the applications from the slot-2 devices are not compatible with the newer slot-1 devices which fit into the DS cartridge slot. For this reason, some of the homebrew kits are now compatible with a slot-2 expansion, and some of the developers of the early software have switched their applications to run on the slot-1 devices.

What Can Homebrew Do?

There are many homebrew applications available to run on your DS. Some programs, such as Moonshell, allows you to play movies and music on your DS. Others can virtually transform your DS into a PDA. Some even let you access your favorite Instant Messenger right from your DS!

There are also many games on the DS homebrew scene. Most are remakes of classic games, such as DSLemming, but others are original titles, such as Tales of Dagur.

Where Can I Download Homebrew?

There are many good sites for DS Homebrew, although most contain illegal ROMS that can't be linked to on Neoseeker. The Wikipedia article for DS Homebrew has some links to great homebrew applications.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 19, 11 at 10:56pm
Jeremy657

you cannot run ds game roms on AR Dsi

Mar 19, 11 at 10:54pm
Jeremy657

homebrew is a ds rom made by someone that has been put up for download. you can use homebrew (not all) on AR Dsi.

Mar 01, 11 at 11:15pm
Chris717

So my mum bought a Nintendo DS (orginal) to play Brain Training. In reality that means, i'll be the only one playing because she doesn't even know how to turn on the PC.

Anyway, i'm looking to run homebrew on the DS like i did with my PSP. Is a flash card like this something i should be looking for? I'm completely clueless.

Aug 04, 10 at 4:07am
Tainted

The apps should work for all homebrew devices, although it is possible that some (like Moonshell I think, but I don't quite remember) may require a patch specific to each card.

Aug 02, 10 at 1:27pm
garobin

will these applications work with the acekard 2?

Mar 27, 10 at 12:05pm
Hashim

Oh, so it's merely a case of plug the TTDS flash card in, and I'm set to go? Well, that's good to know.

Also, what are the main differences between the TTDS and the CycloDS Evolution flash cards?

I know the CycloDS is kinda more pricey, but is that the only difference between the two? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both the cards?

Thanks.

Mar 27, 10 at 4:49am
Avalith

You "install" it just like a regular game card. Note that a TTDS will not work with a DSi, so if you don't have an original DS or a DS Lite, you've just wasted about $20 (assuming you got a legitimate card and not a clone). Flash cards are merely a plug and play business. You don't have to open up your console or do any other risky mods (unless you want a homebrew channel on the DSi).

Mar 26, 10 at 10:35pm
Hashim

Sorry to bump a year-old thread, people.

I'm pretty new to the homebrew scene, especially the DS homebrew scene, so please bear with me.

Basically, I just wanted to know how the TTDS flash card works exactly. How, once I have bought it, do I install it onto my DS, and how long a process is it all?

All help and info I can get on the DS is much appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 09, 09 at 12:06am
Mac

quote Tainted
I never tried any of those messenger things. I never use the one on my computer, even. >.>

I was looking somewhere and saw DSision. It's just a new OS for the cart, but it looks really cool. Has anyone here tried it out?

I'll try it out tomorrow, but for now, try PAPong. This game is pretty fun and has many designs.

MAJOR EDIT::

DOWNLOAD AXE NAO

Dec 01, 09 at 2:01am
Tainted

I never tried any of those messenger things. I never use the one on my computer, even. >.>

I was looking somewhere and saw DSision. It's just a new OS for the cart, but it looks really cool. Has anyone here tried it out?