Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Tachyon: The Fringe » Audio trouble. PLZ HELP! » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

hideOriginal Post

Jan 05, 08 at 9:42pminFamous Jeff

I just bought the game off of the novalogic site, everything works fine except one audio bug that i cant figure out....whenever other pilots pop up during missions at the top right of the screen to talk i cant hear anything...plz help

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 19, 11 at 3:59am
GuitarLord5000

quote GuitarLord5000|
This did not work for me.{/quote

It didn't work because I did it incorrectly. Tried it again, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Jan 16, 11 at 6:01pm
GuitarLord5000

quote Ghost_15110
Here's what I did and it worked for me. I created a text file with notepad, and typed in the following.

A3D_DEVICE=7

then I saved it as Tachyon.cfg in the tachyon game folder. after playing the game, I checked the file again and the game had put other values in it - I think it is just missing the file. Once you put it in, it must somehow fix the game.
This did not work for me. I still do not get the in game dialogue with this approach. I would still suggest that everyone get their Tachyon.cfg file from the demo. Maybe someone (JGZinv?) should host this file on a server to make it more readily available? That would be freakin sweet!

Jan 10, 11 at 6:12am
Ghost_15110

Here's what I did and it worked for me. I created a text file with notepad, and typed in the following.

A3D_DEVICE=7

then I saved it as Tachyon.cfg in the tachyon game folder. after playing the game, I checked the file again and the game had put other values in it - I think it is just missing the file. Once you put it in, it must somehow fix the game.

Feb 27, 09 at 9:59pm
JGZinv

I'm the Co-Leader of the FringeSpace project at www.fringespace.org... I've been helping players for about 3 years now.

To cut to the heart of the matter, I think Novalogic broke something in making the game a downloadable version and it seems to be across several pay2download sites.

I've heard it first hand from no less than 3 people already about the audio and graphics looking terrible in the downloadable version.

The reason multiplayer doesn't work is that NL moved the servers 2x, and lost their server maps in the process. So they could no longer host games. Why they didn't allow player hosted games... not sure but they may not have known which files to edit.

There's a fan made utility that can fix the multiplayer issues and allow player hosted games (there's a server up 24/7) and can add mods if you wish as well.

Now specifically on the audio, you might try the Tachyon Service Bay fix and see if that helps. If not I do have the original demo available.

However I would caution about the old demo, because it was several times more buggy than the retail copy was at release.

I wouldn't expect any real support from NL. They've largely pushed Tachyon under the rug and you've never been able to be a part of the Novaworld forums using Tach CD keys. We've had to send 3-4 emails in the past to get a response.

There's a good amount of history involved in why Tach is as broken as it is. Largely it can be surmised as NL kicked it out the door too fast, and it was the developer's precious child that they were not allowed to finish properly. Not long after most of the dev's split from NL so I doubt there's many people with knowledge of Tach's inner workings even left at NL.

But drop the community a line at the FringeSpace site.
Might be able to narrow all these little bugs down.

Sep 08, 08 at 12:53am
jaguars4ever

Thanks for the feedback Guitarlord and Tremerid (especially Tremerid).

It turns out the digital download version doesn't even have the Tachyon.CFG file (not to be confused with your save game config files)!

Very poor quality control on NovaLogics part. Not only that but their tech support put me on hold for 50 minutes and never replied to my email. Very poor customer service as well. I doubt I'll ever buy directly from them again.

But regardless, Tremerid's solution works perfectly (although the game seems to be crashing with a higher degree of regularity now, but at least it's playable). The only (other!) ridiculous thing was tracking down the demo, as most of the files seems to be dead links or links to "try media" version - i.e. the inept digital version we all seem to have.

But at the bottom of the sixth page of googling "download tachyon the fringe demo" I found this Spanish website:

http://superdownloads.uol.com.br/download/110/tachyon-the-fringe/reviews-usuarios.html

For those who are having trouble finding the demo (for the much coveted config file) navigate to that link and click on the orange button on the right.

Also, it's not just the right hand pilot icon sounds that were missing but a whole bunch of wingman chatter and mission diagnosis, etc. So once you guys fix your sound problem, I recommend starting a new game so you don't miss out on most of the experience!

Hope that helps, and thanks again Tremerid.

Jun 09, 08 at 2:30pm
oni10000

I found the download but after I tried to run it I got an error about windows not being able to execute a dos program. Is there anyway I can just get the file without getting the demo?

Jun 05, 08 at 3:16pm
alpreb

Hey, that helped a lot

Thank you for telling me how to get that file.

Thanks

Jun 04, 08 at 10:27pm
remora

Sorry for the doublepost, but I got a friend with a better connection to help me out. Pasting Tachyon.cfg into the game directory works perfectly, I didn't even have to edit it.

I'm off to replay my whole game to date, because I don't wanna miss all the kick-arse audio.

Jun 04, 08 at 5:07pm
remora

Can anybody link to *where* they downloaded their copy of the demo from? I've been looking for hours now and the one place I've found that has the 50-60mb demo keeps crapping out and corrupting the download.

Jun 04, 08 at 4:39am
GuitarLord5000

That seems to have cleared up my problem. Novalogic really should add that missing file to their digital download. Thats really poor Quality Control on their part.

Cheers