Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Foals » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Nov 29, 07 at 7:50pmRichardlfc

Foals are a five-piece dance-punk band from Oxford who play a mix of indie with elements from techno and math rock. The band are signed with Transgressive Records. A full length album is due for release around March 2008, to be produced by Dave Sitek of "TV on the Radio".

Band members:
Yannis Philippakis
Jack Bevan
Jimmy Smith
Edwin Congreave
Walter Gervers

Jack and Yannis were previously in a math rock band named The Edmund Fitzgerald but this was disbanded after they claimed that things had become "too serious" and they wanted to have more "fun making their music." Try Harder Records are set to release a retrospective of all previously released and unreleased Edmund Fitzgerald material in early 2008.

Jimmy Smith was previously a student at the University of Hull and graduated in Geography. He and Walter Gervers were in a small Oxford band called Face Meets Grill that split shortly before Foals formed. Jimmy is the only member of the band to have completed his degree. The other four members all quit their respective Universities (including Yannis and Edwin leaving courses at Oxford University) when the band signed to Transgressive.

Andrew Mears originally formed the band, playing as a guitarist and the lead singer. He was around for their first single release on Try Harder Records, Try This On Your Piano, where they had more of a math rock sound, but left after a few months so he could concentrate on Youthmovies. He was replaced by Edwin, who plays keyboards.

Lead singer Yannis Philippakis was recently voted 45 in music magazine NMEs 2007 Cool List. Drummer Jack Bevan has recently been endorsed by SJC drums.

Foals are touring with UK band Bloc Party in December and will continue to do gigs to promote their new album. They recently featured on BBC2 programme "Later with Jools Holland".

Foals Myspace

Watch this space

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 03, 13 at 9:36pm
Dark Xionei

My god I could just listen to Milk & Black Spiders for ages.

Feb 15, 13 at 7:35am
D I O S

Remastering of Left For Dead's back-catalogue will probably reign supreme till Iceage for me. Then again I dislike Foals so it would pretty much have to be the only thing out for me to have it top, far too bland for my ears.

Feb 15, 13 at 5:16am
Bollo

it's my favourite album of the year so far anyway, I love it

Feb 15, 13 at 2:46am
Matty

quote D I O S
It's not even the best so far.
This

Local Natives surpasses it. As does Rhye's 'The Fall' in my opinion, but that album isn't officially released yet... Many people will probably argue for My Bloody Valentine too

Feb 14, 13 at 2:00pm
D I O S

It's not even the best so far.

Feb 14, 13 at 1:56pm
person_47

quote ackydeshwanee
Question though - is calling this best album of 2013 a little premature?

Would love to know your thoughts.
Ridiculously so. Cold War Kids, Strokes, Flaming Lips, Black Keys, Pearl Jam and Queens of the Stoneage all have albums slated for this year and I can almost guarantee you at least three of those will be better (Strokes, Keys, CWK). There's even a bunch of old school bands supposed to release new material at some point like Maiden, ACDC, Deep Purple, Megadeth and a couple others.

Feb 14, 13 at 12:30pm
George2

quote ackydeshwanee

We're in the middle of February so yes, definitely.

Feb 14, 13 at 8:37am
ackydeshwanee

Hi all I am a long-time lurker but just want to tell you I love this album v much!

I agree with this review that calls it an early contender for best album of 2013!

www.whatculture.com/music/foals-holy-fire-review.php

My fave song is Milk and Black Spiders but Milk is a grower.

Feb 12, 13 at 2:22pm
George2

Been listening to Holy Fire since picking it up yesterday. So far really loving My Number & Late Night. Just like with Total Life Forever, it takes me a few more listens for the songs to really sound that different to each other though.

Feb 10, 13 at 9:57pm
person_47

quote Asthenia
quote George2
Good to see Foals made it onto the header, I'll be going to see them for the second time on the 10th of November, should be good
I shall be joining you to see them.

Can some one please explain to me what the hell math rock is?
Math rock is when you start with one line and continue to add. So say you have a drum beat at the beginning, then it progresses to a drum beat and a bass riff then the bass riff adds a couple notes then there's a drum beat and a more advanced bass riff then say you add guitar. It's basically just a steady progression of adding more sounds.

Also, inhale reminds me a lot of a more abstract Portugal. the Man.