Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Boston Acoustics BA735 » Boston Digital BA735 Speakers » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 11, 07 at 1:45pmMaggiem

Why will the Boston Digital BA735 speakers from an old Gateway computer not work with my new Dell Inspiron 531S with Vista Windows, I did not order speakers because they were so good with my 2000 Gateway computer which is long gone so I thought I could use them! Dissapointed!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 27, 13 at 6:38pm
caesarproductions

I have these speakers and back when I had my Gateway desktop, these speakers were great!!! But now, many years later, I have a HP Envy laptop with Beats Audio and the speakers won't work. Before I go crazy and buy a new set of speakers, can someone tell me if I could change get them to work with my laptop, I really don't want to buy another speaker set.

Mar 18, 13 at 10:53am
Ricardo Bray

Hi: I have these speakers connected to my sony dvd player using a digital cable and also to my rca tv using rca cables and they work fine. For some reason, when i connect them to the digital out on my tv i get an overriding buzzing sound(not good). I had to do some splicing as the wires were not long enough for simulated "surround" sound.

Jan 05, 13 at 5:39am
ljstryzek

I have two sets of Boston digital speakers Mo.# BA735 and both have the same problem, the volume control stooped working properly, both will not shut off and as of now one will not hold the volume at a set level, also my son has the same problem with his set. All of the units are out of warranty the problem started shortly after the warranty expired, go figure!

Jan 02, 13 at 10:02am
lostinpc

I have the same problem with an HP desktop that does support S/PDIF. I think that the person above (forgot name) was right when he said to go purchase a new plug configuration. If you look at the plug on the digital input cable on the Boston you have an RSA plug at the unit and a 3/8" at the PC. If you take a look at a regular headphone, the plug is different. You have a mono plug with the Boston Digital system and you need to get an adaptor to convert to an stereo plug - I plan to pick up the adaptor to match the headphone because the headphone does work!

Oct 07, 12 at 11:20am
d0d0d00dd0d0

quote theliquidswordsman
Alright folks,

There IS an easy way to get analog signals to work, even IF you do not have the model which has the analog input (no soldering required). You will need the following:

Analog to Digital Converter
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=8127&seq=1&format=2
R/W male RCA cable (this can be in the form of a male 1/8" mini stereo plug -> RCA male or a straight RCA male -> RCA male)
Single male -> male RCA cable (the plugs must be small enough to not interfere with the connection on the back of the sub; I made the mistake of buying a coaxial cord with a tapered end at first and this did not fit snugly enough, making me think this setup did not work)

Connect the R/W RCA cable to the input side of the converter, the single RCA cable to the coaxial out on the converter and then the other side of the coaxial to the "Digital In" port on the back of the sub. See the following pictures:
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p608/theliquidswordsman/DSC01094.jpg
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p608/theliquidswordsman/DSC01095.jpg

Chances are that soldering an analog 1/8" in jack (using the appropriate resistors and capacitors for frequency modulation) into the sub unit will produce a clearer sound, but I have yet to compare. This solution is slightly more expensive (and not as nice looking) as mechanically modifying the unit, but it will allow you to play your speakers with any analog out signal and save you from the trouble of learning a new trade. I also have the issue with the subwoofer hum, so I am going to try the scraping method. Thank you for all of your suggestions and help.
Can you confirm this works with an iPod? There is a cheaper method above but I'm not sure if it works with an iPod.

Aug 30, 12 at 4:15pm
theliquidswordsman

Alright folks,

There IS an easy way to get analog signals to work, even IF you do not have the model which has the analog input (no soldering required). You will need the following:

Analog to Digital Converter
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=8127&seq=1&format=2
R/W male RCA cable (this can be in the form of a male 1/8" mini stereo plug -> RCA male or a straight RCA male -> RCA male)
Single male -> male RCA cable (the plugs must be small enough to not interfere with the connection on the back of the sub; I made the mistake of buying a coaxial cord with a tapered end at first and this did not fit snugly enough, making me think this setup did not work)

Connect the R/W RCA cable to the input side of the converter, the single RCA cable to the coaxial out on the converter and then the other side of the coaxial to the "Digital In" port on the back of the sub. See the following pictures:
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p608/theliquidswordsman/DSC01094.jpg
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p608/theliquidswordsman/DSC01095.jpg

Chances are that soldering an analog 1/8" in jack (using the appropriate resistors and capacitors for frequency modulation) into the sub unit will produce a clearer sound, but I have yet to compare. This solution is slightly more expensive (and not as nice looking) as mechanically modifying the unit, but it will allow you to play your speakers with any analog out signal and save you from the trouble of learning a new trade. I also have the issue with the subwoofer hum, so I am going to try the scraping method. Thank you for all of your suggestions and help.

Mar 04, 12 at 4:03pm
zappa123

I picked up these speakers at a thrift store and couldn't get them to work I didn't know about the driver. However I toke them apart and connected them to my home theater unit and they are about way better then the ones that came with it.Just a fluke but a good one.

Dec 31, 11 at 11:59pm
billhayfer

djedi,

Took your advice. A)after further digging, monoprice has the best price - Thank you! B) When I plugged in everything worked - thanks again!

I am having one minor problem though, anytime sound kicks in or out(nothing wrong during playback), I get a popping noise on the speaker. I determined (I think) that it is not the sound card driver since I tried with different digital speakers that took a direct optical input and don't hear same problem. Any advice?

Jun 22, 11 at 2:54am
paula H

[quote=V i plugged in my boston735s with my external mixer n they work! ive sang the music that the LORD inspires me 2 write with this set up.now im trying to set it up with a homemade talk box that i just made ill letya kno if it works soon! thanx AIC P H

Jun 22, 11 at 2:44am
paula H

quote Vincent Soudant
I have the same speakers. These are as their name says digital speakers. The problem is that the driver in your Gateway computer sent a digital signal to the analog speaker output. Your current PC sends a normal analog signal to the analog output and the boston speakers can't work with that. Finding a driver for your new computer that does the same trick is the only way, but I don't think that is available anymore . If you find it, let me know. On another note I have tried to connect the boston speakers to the digital output of my stereo, but that does not work. Could you try this and report if it works with you?