It's that time of year again the Spike Video Game Awards, or as they're now called, the VGX awards. Some people like the awards themselves, but I've got a feeling most of us watch just for the reveals. That's why we're collecting all of the big rumored reveals for the VGAs in one place. That would be here you didn't realize, since this is the VGX rumor roundup post.
Sure, there's about two weeks left until the VGX awards air on December 7, but that hasn't stopped a few different publishers from intentionally leaking their reveals. On top of that there area few less reliable rumors, but as far as I'm concerned those are probably more important than more reliable ones. That's the whole value of the VGX awards: rampant speculation and fanboyism!
Let's get on with it, shall we? Here are our current rumors organized into subsets of reliability. Expect the list to be updated as we hear more:
- Destiny - Geoff Keighley confirmed the game will have footage shown at VGX, says it, "looks and SOUNDS amazing. Really starting to see the diversity and scope of the worlds."
- Titanfall - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- Quantum Break - In a Polygon interview earlier this year Microsoft Studios VP Phil Spencer, while talking about Remedy's Quantum Break, dropped this:
"We have a pretty good piece that I'm trying to coerce people into putting out before the end of the year ... showing the full Remedy vision, with Sam [Lake] giving a pretty good description of how the game works with some new gameplay footage. Maybe VGX would be a good place for that."
- Update 12/2 - Confirmed via Geoff Keighley.
- The Division - Geoff Keighley with another reveal, today saying over Twitter that Ubisoft's The Division will have an in-engine trailer debuting during VGX.
- Dying Light - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- South Park: The Stick of Truth - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- Broken Age - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- Nintendo - Reggie Fils-Aime confirmed that he would be attending/presenting at VGX this year. Will he be showing something off? Nintendo hasn't presented anything at the VGA awards previously, but maybe Nintendo is getting hip with the times. Here's what Reggie said during the show:
"We may be making an appearance. We may be doing something special. We'll see."
- Upcoming Wii U game footage confirmed via press release.
Tomb Raider - According to an inquiry by IGN, Square Enix may have something Tomb Raider related saved up for VGX. Is this the next-gen Tomb Raider reveal or just the announcement of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition that's been rumored for some time now?
"It’s so hard to keep a secret these days! We appreciate all of the enthusiasm, however we don’t have any details to share just yet. That said, we highly recommend you keep an eye on any major gaming events happening in early December."
- Update 12/2: Square Enix VP of Marketing Karl Stewart confirmed via Twitter that they'll have two different games to show at VGX. The first is likely Thief, but evidence is pointing towards this Tomb Raider sequel as the second.
- Thief - Karl Steward, VP of Marketing at Square Enix, initially tweeted that Square Enix would be showing two games at VGX. This was quickly followed by a tweet from the official Thief Twitter account. The tweet said to look forward to the VGX awards, because, "We're cooking up something special for you..."
- Bethesda - Bethesda has confirmed they will not be presenting anything at VGX.
- The Order: 1886 - While The Order: 1886 was originally planned to be shown at VGX, Geoff Keighley confirmed the footage was not finished in time to be shown.
- Fallout 4 - Rumors have been buzzing around a potential Fallout 4 announcement in early December after a teaser site went up, The Survivor 2299, with a countdown and a Fallout-themed icon. However, further investigation revealed the site was hosted in Poland, a location Bethesda certainly wouldn't have decided to be running any sort of business.
- Update 11/22 - Rumors continue to spread about Fallout 4, but all of them are tied to the above mentioned teaser site that isa 99% guaranteed fake. It was registeredd in Poland and continues to use European dates as references, two things Bethesda have never done with their promotional material. Despite that, the site makes for some interesting fun.
- Crash Bandicoot - Rumors spread earlier this week that Crash Bandicoot may be making a modern appearance. Two different events started speculation on the internet: first, a brief Crash teaser found in one of the PlayStation 4's launch videos; second, a rumored listing for Crash Bandicoot on PS4 on Amazon France that was later confirmed to be a hoax with Crash Bandicoot fanart. Unless we get any new information, this one's almost certainly not going to happen.
- Update 11/22 - More Crash Bandicoot rumors are spreading after Activision removed all online reference material to the franchise. However, when asked if Sony has picked up the franchise from Activision, Adam Boyes responded in the negatory. For a Crash to be in the works Adam would have either had to have been straight up lying, or the reboot is in the works at Activision, not Sony. Magic 8-Ball says, "Don't Hold Your Breath."
Pretty slim pickings in terms of rumors so far this year! Odds are the true rumors won't start until after the Xbox One has launched, of course, as Microsoft has previously confirmed they are saving their announcements for December.
Geoff Keighley, the marketing man behind the VGAs and VGX himself, says the officially sanctioned rumors are planned to start soon, however. Best hold onto your butts, everyone. It should be a heck of a show.
Lots of rumors starting to float around about VGX world premieres. Won't be long until we start sharing some details on what to expect.