Bethesda loves their merchandising and MachineGames' Wolfenstein: The New Order won't get left out in the cold in this regard. Today the publisher announced a special edition Panzerhund box for the game, ringing in at a $100 price. The box includes several fancy treats for Wolfenstein faithful, including postcards, dog-tags, patches, an envelope of various art, and of course an 8" panzerhund statue. It should be noted, however, that it does not include of the Wolfenstein: The New Order game.
Only 5,000 of these limited Panzerhund Editions are being made, making it the defacto Collector's Edition for Wolfenstein: The New Order. Here's a more detailed accounting of what's included in the box:
- An 8-inch fully articulated hand-painted Panzerhund statue and base, made of high quality vinyl material (PVC and ABS) the statue is hand painted, includes a base, and strikes a surprisingly menacing pose for a scaled-down replica.
- Classified folder containing salvaged secret war documents including maps, case files, letters, blueprints and an x-ray
- A set of 14 full-color vintage, weathered postcards from Wolfenstein’s alternate 1960’s, bound in a display book
- Three embroidered patches
- Custom replica dog tags
- An exclusive Steelbook case
Not including the game in the bundle is certainly a unique choice, but I actually find myself respecting the decision. Not only does it allow gamers to pick up the package separate from their game preorders prelaunch, but also post-launch in case they find themselves wanting to support MachineGames because they enjoyed the game so much. Or, it could just be marketing saying that editions that cost more than $100 don't sell. Either or.
Wolfenstein: The New Order is planned for release on May 20 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, Xbox 360 and PC. The Panzerhund Edition will launch the same day as the official game for a cost of $100.