Yesterday's Saints Row IV trailer was probably fairly alarming to a lot of gamers. Hearing that the protagonist of Saints Row was now the President of the United States battling aliens with super powers is one thing, seeing it in motion is another. The transition might have gone down smoother if you had seen Volition's demo as PAX East, which showed off a lot of these features. Well, now you can, as Deep Silver has made all 7 minutes of the demo available to watch online.
If this is the first time you've seen Saints Row IV in motion, then you're in for a treat. Here's all of the fancy toys and features the trailer covers:
- Melee combat: Exciting combinations and finishers delivered from the President of the United States after he vetoes your face
- Totally boring weapons:
- Inflato-Ray: Yes, it inflates whoever you aim at until they explode
- Dubstep Gun: It play dubstep at people until they die, so kind of like listening to dubstep for more than five minutes in real life
- Ugly and stupid vehicles:
- Monster Truck: It rolls over people, cars, and makes you feel like the badass monster truck divers should be, rather than the creepy rednecks they usually are
- Mech: Gatling gun, rocket launcher, jet pack, yeah this is a freaking mech
- Weapon customization: Ability to customize the look of any weapon, like turning a rocket launcher into a guitar case
- Enemy types:
- Zen: They've invaded the Earth and kidnapped the president, along with all of your bros
- Warden: The Zen have super heroes too, by the way
- Activities: Random activities in the world now have tiers of completion which will challenge and reward players
- Super Powers: Every president has got them, but only a few are willing to use them
- Super Run
- Super Jump
- Super Glide
- Super Combat: Hand to hand moves, combinations and finishers that destroy dudes
- Blast: Freezes everything it comes into contact with and absolutely shatters dudes
- Telekinesis: It's telekinesis, Kyle. Pick up things and throw them!
... and that's just what the devs could fit into six and a half minutes. Obviously a shortlist of exciting features, weapons, and junk only scratches the surface of the entire open world experience in Saints Row IV. No, it's not the Saints Row of yesteryear. Saints Row has become so much more than what it was before, fully embracing the fact that they've built a huge world -- why not have fun with it?
Saints Row IV will be coming to PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on August 20 and may very well make you forget about the September release of Grand Theft Auto V. Eh, who am I kidding. Why not both? Look forward to more information on Saints Row IV leading into E3 and beyond.
PAX demo - YouTube