The first Dead Space 3 details has been released, confirming a co-op component for the title.
Dead Space 2's competitive multiplayer mode, though, has been scrapped. The co-op itself will see Isaac and Carver forming an alliance, with the game itself set on an icy planet. Other details include:
- Now has universal ammo pickups
- Cover system added
- Unitologists pose a threat now, the screens look like they’re shooting at Isaac while he’s taking cover
- Co-Op will add new cutscenes and interactions between Isaac and Carver: “If you play single player you’ll hear everything you need to hear to get the whole story."
- Dead Space 3 will have zero gravity space sections, dark corridors, and all the other things that made the series what it is
- New necromorphs called Fodder, feeders & something Visceral internally calls ‘The snow beast’ plus a huge 30 story tall centipede necro morph called the NexusFeeders are “what happens when a human isn’t actually infected by a Swarm or by a Divider head, but by necessity ends up eating the flesh of a turned necro”Icy
- Planet is called Tau Volantis
- Fodder transform into two different necromorphs depending on how you kill them
- Ammo drops are more plentiful
- They want DS3 to be less linear than 2&1; be able to explore large environments and find “unique beta missions” that aren’t required to complete the main game
- You can slap different guns together like a Plasma cutter/Ripper combo; Visceral didn’t say “how exactly these weapon mods work” but GI noticed enemies drop Scrap metal and ‘tungsten’ now
Dead Space 3 is currently scheduled for a release during February, 2013. EA will show the title's first footage during its E3 press conference today at 1 PM PST.