Update: According to the game's creator DayZ has sold over 150,000 copies in 24 hours, incuding almost 35,000 concurrent players on Steam. Day one. Pretty damn impressive for a game offering early access to an alpha.
DayZ was the mod that took the internet by storm. A true surivor experience, DayZ put players on a multiplayer server so large most players rarely found another human being and then typically killed them before anything fun happened. Gamers loved it., those sick weirdos. The mod got so popular that DayZ was announced as a standalone game. That game, in a surprise announcement, launched today in alph form. Go get it, you sickos.
In DayZ you spawn as a zombie apocalypse survivor in the middle of nowhere and it's your job to hunt down supplies and weapons before you die. How can you die? Well, there's the zombies, there's food and warmth, and then there's the other players who most likely want to take your supplies for their own. Expect to die. That's hardly a feature list, of course, but that's what this official feature list is for:
- Chernarus - 230 sq. km chunk of post soviet state, featuring deep forests, cities, villages, abandoned military bases, and more..
- Up to 40 players per server - Rich server / client architecture developed from scratch.
- Persistent player profile - Key player data is persistent across all servers.
- Inventory – Combine various clothing items, equipment and carry all of the items that you will need to survive the harsh new environment in the open and intuitive inventory system developed to answer the needs of crafting and character customization.
- Crafting - In the apocalyptic world of DayZ, resources are sparse and every useful bit should be utilized. Items or equipment can be improved, turned into something else or fixed using the new crafting mechanisms.
- Weapon customization – Use customizable firearms with authentic ballistics and weapon characteristics as well as melee weapons to protect yourself against all the dangers a survivor may face.
- Customizable clothing – Customize your survivor with a multitude of new clothing items that can be scavenged from the remnants of civilization, which provide various degree of protection against the elements, infected, and other survivors.
I want to not this and then probably note it again. This is the DayZ alpha, not the final release. Well, though to be fair it's tough to say whether the game will ever actually fully release. It's one of those perpetual alphas that's likely to evolve over time. But here, right now, don't expect everything to work 100% or for all of the content to be available. There's a lot still in the works,
DayZ is out on on PC via Steam. It's in alpha, but it's probably still ten times better than the mod everyone played so much a year or two back. Took long enough, right?