While officially unveiled during last week's Paradox Con 2013, today marks the official announcement of Crusader Kings II's upcoming expansion The Old Gods. As the name implies, the expansion will push Crusader Kings II's start date back to the year 867AD. Taking on the role of a pagan chieftain restoring the Old Gods to glory through sacrifice and war.
Needless to say, if more Crusader Kings II was what you felt was necessary from the game, then the Old Gods expansion will certainly be exactly what you require. Of course, there's also the game's four other expansions, Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Sunset Invasion and The Republic, but more more is certainly more than before. Here's a list of new in-game content:
- Religious Turmoil: Restore the Old Gods to prominence through sacrifice and divination, or force the pagans to convert through new missionary missions
- Earlier Start: 200 years of more gameplay with the special 867 AD bookmark
- Rebels With a Cause: Rebels are no longer faceless rabble, but led by defined characters with specific agendas
- Adventurers: Watch as landless younger sons and charismatic warriors raise armies
- Pillage and Prosper: Loot provinces and burn cities to the ground – lest your warlike people grow angry during extended peacetime!
- Heathens: Convert them or play as them and survive, reforming your faith to stand the test of time
- Prepared Invasions: Declare your intent to invade a rich target, and watch adventurers and opportunists flock to your banner.
- Unholy UI: A new pagan interface is available alongside all-new events, decisions, and units
There's also this handy announcement trailer that helps set the mood for the expansion, going over some of the in-game features and showing off some Old Gods concept art. I'm not much of a Crusader Kings II fan myself, but if there was an expansion that might get me started it would be The Old Gods, what with the pagans, vikings and sacrifice.
Crusader Kings II's latest expansion, The Old Gods, is set for release in Q2 (April, May, June) exclusively on PC. Look forward to more information soon.