Mojang's next huge Minecraft patch is now planned to release tomorrow, Friday October 25. This one's a doozy, as 1.7.2 has been described by developer Jeb as "The Update that Changed the World." Why so dramatic a title? That's because the main change in the patch is in how worlds are generated. We've detailed this a bit already, but Mojang's gone to lengths to shrink down the amount of water in the world while also increasing biome density.
While world generation will be the focus of the patch, there's plenty of other content included as well. A ton of new blocks, Fishing additions, and changes to maps have been added, along with meta changes dealing with achievements, multiplayer, resource packs and chat. Plus a ton of bug fixes are coming down the pipeline! Make sure the check out all of the patch notes over at Mojang's blog.
I won't list all of the patch notes here, but I will list the big, gameplay effecting changes:
- New world generation!
- Double the amount of biomes, with new trees/flowers/blocks.
- New “Amplified” world option.
- Less ocean, more awesome.
- New blocks!
- Two new types of wood.
- Stained glass! With both blocks and panes.
- Packed ice, red sand, podzol.
- Lots of new flowers, including double-tall versions of current plants.
- Portals can be bigger sizes!
- Added more type of fish.
- Redone the fishing mechanics. Can now catch junk and treasure too.
- Fishing rod enchantments!
- Put them in an item frame and hang them on your wall. They’re extra big!
- Lots of new colours for lots of blocks!
- Now with less lag!
It's been some time since I last ran a game of Minecraft. With the changes to world generation I don't see how there's anyway I can avoid playing another game. Time to head over to Neoseeker's Minecraft Server forum and see what sort of action is going down.
As usual, no current plans for this content to reach the console editions of Minecraft -- yet.