Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn faithful are still waiting for a chance to challenge the normally peaceful sylphs and their primal Ramuh, but Square Enix didn't want to make the heroes of Eorzea wait that long for new content. Patch 2.28 is now live, bringing with it a new entry into the Zodiac weapon quest chain, a new sightseeing log, and numerous quality of life and convenience changes for adventurers everywhere.
The new Novus weapons awarded from the Zodiac weapon chain will be the first customizable equipment beyond the materia system. Adventurers must first obtain a sphere scroll that corresponds to their Animus weapon and infuse it with materia containing the bonus stats one would like their shiny new 110 item level relic weapon to have. Once the scroll is applied to the weapon, there's no way to recustomize it. The ability to redo the Novus upgrade is planned for a future patch, but there's no word on that yet.
The sightseeing log has also been added, giving players something to work for besides just hunting logs and the weekly challenge log. This log is unlocked in Gridania at level 20 after completing the "Sylph-management" main storyline quest, giving otherwise bored adventurers something to explore. Many of the destinations in the sightseeing log will be difficult to reach and completion will only be recorded when you find the exact area mentioned in the hints. To make things more complicated, players have to be there at the right time of day and in the right weather conditions.
Other minor, yet notable changes to the game are largely convenience based:
- Expert and High Level Duty Roulettes can now be queued for while in a party.
- Player commendations can now be voted on when queued for a duty in a group, but can only be awarded to players outside the group.
- Item drops by enemies appear in place of "Item found!"
- Clicking on aetheryte crystals on the map will now let you teleport directly to that area.
- The Expert Delivery interface has new filters allowing you to hide items that belong to a gear set or that are in your armoury chest.
- A "Retainer" category has been added to the challenge log.
- "The Fury's Anthem" item for PvP profiles is no longer available. A new button on the PvP interface allows you to reset your accumulated points for free. Existing Fury's Anthem items can be exchanged for Wolf marks.
- Labyrinth of the Ancients and Duty Roulettes now award more Allagan tomestones of mythology
- The crafting log now has the ability to filter results by category.
- Clicking on an item's area in the gathering log will now show you where to look on the map.
- A gear preview feature has been added.
- Players can now repair gear when not in a designated class as long as they meet the requirements to repair an item.
- Visual preferences for showing or hiding helms or weapons can now be saved by gear set.
- Hovering over a FATE on the map now shows you its current progress.
There's no word on a release date for patch 2.3 yet, but it's not likely to be a long wait. In the meantime, go out and explore with the new sightseeing log while working on your Novus weapon!