Leviathan, Diablos, King Moogle, and is that Gilgamesh? Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is less than a month away from launching its patch 2.2, fittingly titled "Through the Maelstrom". Today Square Enix released a patch preview trailer showcasing much of the content to be released in patch 2.2. I don't believe I'm exagerating when I say it's a Final Fantasy nerd's dream come true and A Realm Reborn players will be very pleased.
In addition to the friendly faces I mentioned above, there are several big chunks of content being added to keep A Realm Reborn's end game healthy. Here are the main content focuses of patch 2.2:
- Main Scenario - "Ever do the mysteries of the Echo and the Ascians elude the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, while the beast tribes rally with renewed ambition, threatening to unleash the wrath of another primal upon the land. To stave off the encroaching darkness and pull the realm back from the brink of destruction, the Warriors of Light plunge headlong into the maelstrom..."
- Side Story Quests
- Hildibrand, Agent of Enquiry - "When we last saw Hildibrand─agent of enquiry, inspector extraordinaire─he had received a letter of challenge from a mysterious marauder known to duel his victims and claim their weapons as his own. What will this battle hold for Eorzea's favorite detective? Who is this furtive fighter, and will he be brought to justice? The answers to all these questions and more can be found by joining Hildibrand and Nashu on their next case."
- Gilgamesh - "In his never-ending quest for power and glory, Gilgamesh─self-styled warrior of legend and collector of fine weaponry─now roams the lands of Eorzea. When a series of events leads to confrontation with this formidable foe, you must prove your mettle or see your blade lost to his ever-growing collection."
- Leviathan - "The Sahagin, the reviled beast tribe native to the Indigo Deep, have succeeded in summoning forth their voracious god, the primal Leviathan. How will the Warriors of Light stand against the might of the sea's most diabolical denizen?"
- The Second Coil of Bahamut - "Having fully explored the depths beneath Castrum Occidens, Alisaie's findings have served only to raise more questions regarding the Calamity, and the disappearance of her grandfather, Louisoix. The discovery of a second entrance to the labyrinth has rekindled her desire for answers, and she would once again ask for your aid in braving its depths. Will she find the answers she seeks, or something darker still?"
- The Lost City of Ampador
- Halatali (Hard)
- Brayflox's Longstep (Hard)
- Beast Tribe Quests
- Glamours & Gear
- "Adventurers of Eorzea now have a way to alter the appearance of their attire independently of its attributes. Magick your gear with glamours to project the likeness of one garment onto another, allowing for heretofore-unseen freedom when choosing your wardrobe."
- Gerolt's Masterworks
As should be obvious, there's a lot of exciting content coming down the pipline at Square Enix. It's awesome to see that the developers of A Realm Reborn are really reaching back into Final Fantasy history and mixing it with the great style and themes of their MMO. A Realm Reborn truly is the successor to the Final Fantasy franchise of old.
Patch 2.2 of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is planned for release later this month on PC and PlayStation 3. Also, don't forget that the PlayStation 4 version of A Realm Reborn will be released on April 14. Console players should definitely keep their ears open for news from the ongoing PS4 beta.