The story is set in a mysterious world governed by an evil dictatorship known as the Gestahlian Empire. 'The Empire' is determined to strengthen its domination of the world by harnessing the power of the espers (powerful magical creatures) and using them as weapons.
Endangered rival sovereigns, brave rebels and a handful of outcasts must now unite forces to stop the Empire fulfilling its ambition. The story begins with a treasure hunter called Locke and an amnesiac magician called Terra, who are forced to flee from the Empire. As the game plots its course, Locke and Terra will encounter a large cast of diverse characters, all of whom assume a crucial role in freeing the world.
- Featuring bonus content, a new translation, and a remixed soundtrack, Final Fantasy VI Advance is the definitive version of this classic RPG title.
- Final Fantasy VI Advance features fourteen 'primary' characters, even though the player can have only four characters in his party at any time. The story branches in several key points, and the player must break the party into separate groups, splitting time between each of the groups and seeing their aspect of the story.
- Magical beings known as Espers can be summoned during battle, unleashing powerful effects. By equipping magicite, the crystallized essence of an esper's power, characters can learn magic spells and gain the ability to summon the mystic beasts. Final Fantasy VI Advance features never before seen espers including Leviathan, Cactuar and Gilgamesh. Includes four new espers: Leviathan, Gilgamesh, Cactuar, and Diabolos.
- Three new spells: Flood, Valor and Gravija.
- Final Fantasy games on the GameBoy Advance traditionally include an all new bonus dungeon. Now, Final Fantasy VI Advance brings you the Dragons' Den, an enormous labyrinth teeming with monsters of every stripe. Only the Espers can help you survive the Dragons' Den.
- Includes the secret boss Kaiser Dragon, a terrifying monster removed from the original game in the final stages of development.
- Unlockable music player and bestiary with details on all the game's monsters.