Disillusioned with the ideals of his mentor, Hector fled Vallachia to pursue a more normal life, leaving Dracula vulnerable to the Belmonts. Now, three years after Dracula was defeated in battle, the magic power of the curse released upon his death has infected all of Europe. As the continent succumbs to pestilence, heresy and mob violence, Isaac – a former friend and fellow Devil Forgemaster – suddenly appears. Believing their master's death was a result of Hector's betrayal, Isaac implicates his friend's beloved in a deadly witch trial. Fueled by revenge, Hector sets off on a journey to his former home, which is now completely morphed in dark magic, to confront Isaac.
Curse of Darkness also introduces new gameplay to the series in the form of Devil Forgery, an ability to call upon more than 30 allies with unique abilities to progress through the game. One ally helps Hector open heavy doors, while another allows him to fly. Curse of Darkness is filled with role-playing and adventure game elements. Players now earn experience points to increase their stats throughout the game and are able to unlock features. With a wide array of weapons, armor, and accessories to choose from become Hector and take revange on the monsters of Count Draculas Castle.
This RPG has a 'leveling up' system, in which the main character must level up in order to defeat more and more powerful enemies. Go across large maps, many with winding paths, in order to reach goals and open secret doors, and battle respawning enemies everytime to enter a new area of the map. Healing items are available, but money must be aquired from enemies before buying them from the only shop outside of the castle.
- The Castlevania series, which has always portrayed the battle between the Belmont family and Dracula, introduces an entirely new hero in its latest installment, the Devil Forgemaster Hector
- Utilize the unique new skills of Devil Forgery to develop and enhance "Innocent Devils" – allies that will help to conquer enemies, evade traps and solve challenging puzzles
- Strong RPG and adventure game elements featuring character growth based on accumulated experience points
- Experience a deep storyline that unfolds against a backdrop of beautifully rendered, expansive environments
- Improved enemy variation
- Increased number of unlockable features to enhance replayability
- Features an entirely new original musical score from Michiru Yamane
- Created by award-winning producer Koji Igarashi
This game is also known as Akumajo Dracula: Yami no Juin in Japan.