This walkthrough was originally written for Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror on the PSX, but the walkthrough is still applicable to the PC version of the game.
|¯¯¯\ |¯| _ /¯¯¯) |¯| |¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
|  )___ ___| |/ )__ _____ ( (¯¯ _| | ¯| | |¯
| (| _| | ' / _| _ | '.¯\¯|¯|¯|¯¯¯|¯¯¯| | | | |
|  ) | | | | \ _| | | | __) ) | | | |¯| | | _| | |_
|___/|_| |___|_|\_)__|_| |_| |___/__,__|___|_| |___| |_______|
| Spoiler-free FAQ/Walkthrough by Shotgunnova (P Summers) | shotgunnova@gmail |
I. WALKTHROUGH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WLKT
01) Professor Oubier's House ..................................... WK01
02) Montfauçon ................................................... WK02
03) Glease Gallery ............................................... WK03
04) Marseilles ................................................... WK04
05) Quaramonte City .............................................. WK05
06) General's Flat ............................................... WK06
07) Quaramonte City [Part 2] ..................................... WK07
08) Treehouse .................................................... WK08
09) Native Village ............................................... WK09
10) Treehouse .................................................... WK10
11) Ketch's Landing .............................................. WK11
12) British Museum ............................................... WK12
13) Ketch's Landing [Part 2] ..................................... WK13
14) Zombie Island ................................................ WK14
15) Abandoned Tube Station ....................................... WK15
16) Zombie Island [Part 2] ....................................... WK16
17) London Docks ................................................. WK17
18) Zombie Island [Part 3] ....................................... WK18
19) Native Village [Part 2] ...................................... WK19
20) Pyramid ...................................................... WK20
II. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FAQZ
III. UPDATES & CONTRIBUTIONS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDT
IV. LEGALITY . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . LGLT
I. WALKTHROUGH [WLKT]
This guide will list the shortest possible route to proceed, although I'll
throw in some interesting asides if they come up. If I list something as
'optional', it means that vets can skip it, while a new player will probably
want to do it for continuity's sake.
Note: when you save a file, you must either have an open block or delete a
previous save! There is no "overwriting" available for some reason. [To save,
select a file, and choose yes or no by hitting left or right, respectively.]
01) PROFESSOR OUBIER'S HOUSE [WK01]
When control is transferred to the player, George will be tied to a chair
in Oubier's study. Control the cursor with the d-pad (or, preferably, the
left analog stick) to find noteworthy things in the room. Depending on the
action available, the icon changes from an arrow to a gear, crosshair, hand,
• INSPECT bookcase
• USE bookcase (icon near George's legs) to crush tarantula
• USE wall fixture behind bookcase to cut ropes
• INSPECT desk
• USE tequila
• TAKE worm (on floor after drinking tequila)
• OPEN desk drawer and take DECORATED POT
• INSPECT decorated pot to reveal the HOUSEKEY
• TAKE the green BLOWDART on the floor
• INSPECT Nico's purse to get the LIPSTICK, PANTIES and NOTE
• INSPECT the NOTE (to learn Labineau's telephone number)
• USE the BLOWDART to jimmy the credenza by the flaming door
• USE the PANTIES on the METAL CYLINDER inside
• USE the METAL CYLINDER on the spray bottle
• Select the fire to douse flames
• USE the door and go downstairs
• Take newspaper CLIPPING from desk
• INSPECT the CLIPPING to obtain BANK STATEMENT
• USE the telephone to call Labineau (must have read NOTE first)
• Use HOUSEKEY to exit residence
Calling Andre opens up the cafe (which you might remember from "Shadow of the
Templars") as a map destination.
02) MONTFAUÇON [WK02]
• TALK to garçon (x2)
Andre arrives at this time.
• Show Labineau the DECORATED POT (to open up Gleese Gallery)
Andre leaves at this time.
• TALK to gendarme about himself (x3), making him depressed
• TAKE his FLASK of absinthe while he isn't looking
03) GLEASE GALLERY [WK03]
• [Optional] Try to investigate crates behind divider
• [Optional] Speak to fat critic about his wine
• [Optional] SHOW the DECORATED POT on the critic to have it destroyed
• USE the FLASK on the critic's wineglass (x2)
The absinthe will cause the critic to black out at this point, destroying a
display case and distracting Glease.
• INSPECT the crate behind the divider
• TAKE the LABEL from the crate (to learn of next destination)
• TALK to Glease to automatically visit next area
04) MARSEILLES [WK04]
• [Optional] Try to climb fence
• INSPECT shack window (to see dockworker throw away bottle)
• Go down the steps behind the shack
• TAKE the BOAT HOOK floating in the water
• USE the BOAT HOOK to take BOTTLE floating in harbor
• Go back to front of shack
• INSPECT cone atop chimney
• Use the BOTTLE on chimney cone
• TAKE the chimney CONE
• USE the BOTTLE on chimney stack (dropping it inside, smoking up shack)
This forces the longshoreman to leave temporarily, allowing George a window
of opportunity to infiltrate.
• ENTER shack via the trapdoor, accessible from waterfront dock
• TAKE the DOGGY BISCUITS from the table
• [Optional] TAKE a piece of COAL from bucket
• Exit shack the way y'came in
• From dock landing, use DOGGY BISCUITS on flip-up platform by dog
• USE the BOAT HOOK on the platform (sending dog into water)
With the guard dog dunked, George can now climb the fence and enter the next
portion of the area. Climbing this fence is also where the game freezes for a
lot of emulator users, don't ask me why.
• [Optional] Knock on door of Kondor Transglobal warehouse
• CLIMB ladder at far end of path
• OPEN window by air conditioner
• USE the BOAT HOOK to jam the a.c. fan
With the fan's white noise ceased, George's door-knocking is audible. Now's a
good time to save the game, if y'haven't already.
• CLIMB back down and KNOCK on Kondor Transglobal door
• When Pablo answers, pick any answer (pizza delivery requires 2 more knocks)
• CLIMB the ladder quickly
George will masquerade as someone when knocking, infuriating Pablo at once,
or eventually, as is the case with the pizza delivery speech. If George is
standing on the lower landing when Pablo emerges, George'll get a hot dose of
lead poisoning and the game ends. Use the seconds before he opens the door to
climb back up the ladder -- to safety.
• USE the loading crane while Pablo's standing outside (to distract him)
• USE the loading crane a second time (to incapacitate Pablo)
If you waste too much time, Pablo goes back inside and the goading must begin
• ENTER the warehouse via the front door
• INSPECT desk to find the BRASS KEY
• WALK right to see scene with dwarf
• TALK to dwarf, then SHOW him the BRASS KEY
• USE the BRASS KEY on dwarf to obtain the MANACLES
• USE the elevator's button to go upstairs
George encounters a conundrum regarding the elevator immediately.
• USE nearby crate to block elevator door
• USE light switch (right-hand side of elevator) to brighten a left corner
• INSPECT newly brightened corner's floor, nearest the brown wall
• USE the wall to find a hidden door
• REMOVE the hostage's bindings to receive the ROPE
• TAKE the MASKING TAPE
• [Optional] TAKE the IDOL STATUE
• Return to previous room
• USE the MASKING TAPE on elevator's "electric eye"
• MOVE the crate back to its original position.
• MOVE the crate with airholes
• MOVE other crate to the wall
• USE the pallet to raise statue
• USE the ROPE on the statue
• INSPECT the statue and connect the rope to the pulley
• USE the pallet to leave statue hanging
• USE the hanging statue (too heavy to move!)
• TALK to Nico about the giant statue
After a scene, the 2F exit is accessible.
• USE the MANACLES on the cable
That ends the Marseilles events. Before heading to the next location, George
and Nico obtain the COYOTE STONE from Andre.
05) QUARAMONTE CITY [WK05]
Fresh off the boat, the city is laid bare. There's a market in the western
reaches of the screen; a mining office near the docks; a police station by
the middle; and Duane's camper all the way to the right. [You may remember
Pearl and her hubby from the previous game...?]
• SPEAK to musicians about Miguel, Music and Mining
• SPEAK to Pearl near the police station about Duane (x2)
• ENTER the police station
Upon entering, there's a scene where Professor Oubier leaves the station. He
can now be found near the camper.
• INSPECT the chart Grasiento was looking at
• TALK to Grasiento about Ruins, Mining, Oubier and Kondor Transglobal (x3)
• Return to the street and TALK with Nico about the Chart
• TALK with Oubier about the Coyote Stone, Karzac and K. Transglobal
• ENTER the mining office
• TALK to Conchita about Oubier
• Attempt to OPEN the explosives cupboard
Oubier will now have left.
• TALK to Duane about the Truck (x2), Miguel (x2) and Detonator
Duane will mention he needs a detonator to enact his plan.
• TALK to Conchita about the Detonator and the Chart
• TALK to Nico about the Chart (to hatch a distraction plan for Grasiendo)
• TALK to Grasiendo about Nico
Nico and Grasiendo will then leave for an "interview," leaving only Ranaldo
to mind the store.
• TALK to Ranaldo about the Ruins (x2)
• TALK to Pearl about the Ruins
Ranaldo and Pearl will now leave, leaving the...tourism office unattended.
• INSPECT the chart
• TALK to Conchita about the chart
• TAKE the DETONATOR from the cupboard
• TALK to Duane about the Detonator (x2)
• ENTER the police station's jail
• TALK to Miguel
06) GENERAL'S FLAT [WK06]
The player now controls Nico for the first time! [As a sidebar, Grasiento's
name apparently means 'oily' in Spanish. Ask him about the tiger rug to find
• INSPECT the swordfish
• INSPECT the lava lamp
• INSPECT the television
• INSPECT the portrait
• ASK Grasiento about the swordfish, television, lava lamp and portrait
07) QUARAMONTE CITY [PART 2] [WK07]
• ASK Miguel about the Noose (x2)
• USE the NOOSE on windowbars
• USE the attached rope on Duane (outside window)
Then it's a fun escape, just like the "African Queen"...only wrong continent.
This area is empty except for an inaccessible treehouse and the machines
sitting below it.
• TAKE the VINE ROPE off the old waterwheel
• INSPECT the working waterwheel
• USE Oubier's BANK STATEMENT on the pile of damp leaves
• USE the IDOL STATUE on the working waterwheel
The ensuing sparks will catch Father Hubert's attention. He won't let George
up, though, thanks to a sick patient.
• ASK about Nico and the Root (x2) to get the COLLAR
• USE VINE ROPE on leftmost machine
• USE COLLAR on the two-stone machine
• USE the wooden pole near trunk on the device
• TAKE the PRESSED COLLAR
• GIVE the PRESSED COLLAR to Hubert
• ASK about the Root
09) NATIVE VILLAGE
For a native village, they're sure not very...primitive. I wouldn't be
surprised if they get HBO!
• ASK guard about Nico, Father Hubert and the Shaman
• GIVE guard the DOGGIE BISCUITS
• USE the COYOTE STONE on the empty DOGGIE BISCUITS box
• GIVE guard the DOGGIE BISCUITS again
George'll be permitted entrance into the town.
• TALK to shaman by campfire
• [Optional] GIVE the lipstick to the shaman
• ASK about Nico (x2) and Root (x2) to view scene
• ASK about COYOTE STONE, JAGUAR STONE and EAGLE STONE (x2 for each)
• ASK about ROOT
After a night of the Monkey Dance (!?!), George returns to the treehouse with
his new root.
• [Optional] ENTER treehouse and use ROOT on Nico
• USE the ROOT on pressing machine
• SET the CHIMNEY CONE underneath machine
• USE the machine (with pole) to get the ANTIDOTE
• TAKE the ANTIDOTE into the treehouse
11) KETCH'S LANDING
George will tackle the Caribbean island where the Eagle Stone is thought to
be located. This shore contains a surveyor, a dock where a kid is fishing,
and a hilltop mansion.
• [Optional] Try to inspect Bronson's surveying plans (on table)
• [Optional] Look through theodolite to see something sparkle on mansion flag
• Introduce yourself to Rio the fisherboy
A funny thing: before talking to Bronson, speak to Rio to learn he thinks the
surveyor's a crook. Then, when you ask Bronson about the old ladies, he'll
ask if Rio talked about him. Answer the affirmative to hear Bronson's twisted
prediction about the fisher boy having a "boating accident" -- sheesh!
• MOVE to the hilltop
• INSPECT the locked front door
• TALK to old ladies about the RIO (x3) and EMILY (x2)
• TALK to old ladies about CAT (x2), then EMILY again
The Ketch Sisters will then go off on a wild goose chase, leaving the mansion
• USE the ladder and CLIMB it
• INSPECT flag marker from atop ladder
• TALK to Rio about EMILY, FISH, then the WORM
• TALK about FISH again and Rio will catch a bicycle
• TAKE the bicycle's INNERTUBE
• TALK about FISH to have him recast his line
• TALK about FISH to obtain...the fish!
Note that asking Rio to get a fish before doing some in-between parts may
require an extra step to check if he's caught anything. The above method's
the shortest one I've found. [The 'fish' dialogue prompt may not appear
immediately, so let his fishing animation go through a few times before
• [Optional] Give FISH to the cat
If you give the fish to puss, he'll eat it and nothing happens! In this case,
talk to Rio to get a spare. This can be done indefinitely.
• CLIMB the ladder
• USE the INNERTUBE on right-hand flagpole
• USE the FISH on hanging INNERTUBE
• TAKE the cat's BALL
• CLIMB the ladder and take INNERTUBE again (fish is lost in process)
• USE the INNERTUBE on nearby tree's U-shaped branch
• USE the BALL on INNERTUBE
An angry Bronson will now approach.
• USE the ladder
• TAKE the spare MARKER
• TAKE Bronson's THEODOLITE (tripod) on beach
• TAKE Bronson's surveying PLANS
The haggish harridans...err, beautiful ladies will be back at the museum.
• USE the PLANS on the old ladies
12) BRITISH MUSEUM
• INSPECT rightmost display case
• ASK the docent about the JAGUAR STONE
• ASK Oubier about the JAGUAR STONE
• ASK the docent about the JAGUAR STONE
• TAKE the KEY from the Jaguar Stone's display case
• SHOW the KEY to the docent
• ASK the docent about the DOCKS
• USE the KEY on the middle (background) display case
• TAKE the OBSIDIAN DAGGER
• INSPECT the pink-colored tapestry
• USE the OBSIDIAN DAGGER on the door
13) KETCH'S LANDING [PART 2]
George's good deeds have granted him access to the museum!
• INSPECT the far portrait of Ketch
• TAKE the QUILL from the captain's table
• TAKE the MAP and use it on the captain's table
• TAKE the LANTERN and use it on the captain's table
• INSPECT the treasure chest (to meet Emily)
• ASK Emily twice about her CROSS (must have seen portrait first)
Emily seems into the idea of trading her cross, but isn't sure what for. Hmm.
• ASK Rio about EMILY, RIO'S SISTER and TIGERFISH
Rio says Emily might like a conch, but the one he has is being saved for his
sister who's mad at him, thanks to him not catching any tigerfish. He says
he'll need a fly lure to catch one -- and for those who aren't fishermen,
that usually requires a feather!
• USE the QUILL on the CAT
• TAKE the FEATHERS
• GIVE the FEATHERS to Rio to obtain a CONCH
• GIVE the CONCH to Emily in exchange for the CROSS
• USE the CROSS on the captain's table inkwell
The solved puzzle will reveal George's next destination!
• ASK Rio about TREASURE (x2, if you didn't do it previously) and ZOMBIES
For some reason, before disembarking, the errant spinsters and Bronson try
to catch the duo. Where were they before? Why are they so irate? Can Bronson
even swim? We'll never know...
14) ZOMBIE ISLAND
• INSPECT left-hand side of the cliff
• INSPECT fishing net in the boat
• ASK Rio about the net to obtain...the NET!
• Use the NET on upper left-hand side of the cliff
15) ABANDONED TUBE STATION
Nico's all alone in this creepy place...it reminds me of that song "Down in
the Tube Station at Midnight," just without all the happy "whoa-oas"s!
• INSPECT Nico's PURSE to get the HAIRCLIP (if not done already)
• USE the HAIRCLIP on chocolate machine
• TAKE the PENNY from the vending machine's tray
• USE the PENNY on that same vending machine
• TAKE the CANDYBAR and the PENNY again
• USE PENNY on the weighing machine to get CARD
• USE the OBSIDIAN DAGGER on the right-hand cabinet
• USE the CARD to open the cabinet
• PRESS the red button inside
16) ZOMBIE ISLAND [PART 2]
From the cliff George starts on, there's two exits: NE and E. Note that many
of the screens here are interconnected, so I'll try to comment on their
• Exit NE into the swamp
• TAKE a REED growing by the mud
• Exit east
• USE the REED on the tree's burrow
• COMBINE the BLOWDART and REED to make the BLOWGUN
• Return to the cliff insertion point and exit east
Now's a good time to save it.
• USE the BLOWGUN on the boar
• INSPECT the branch above George's head
If successful, George will hang from the branch to evade the boar, while the
animal rampages north and unlocks a new path to a rocky summit. If the boar
exited to the west (screen-wise), there's no way to get to the mountaintop,
to my knowledge. Thus, saving beforehand helps a lot.
• Exit east to find a clearing with a single rock structure
• INSPECT and TAKE the VINES
• COMBINE theodolite MARKER and FISHING NET
• COMBINE VINES with MARKER/FISHING NET combo
• USE CREEPER-MARKER-FISHING NET ASSEMBLY (oh, George!) on top of rock
• Backtrack a screen and take path to mountaintop
• USE the THEODOLITE near marking holes
• INSPECT the THEODOLITE
George will then look around the island via the surveying equipment. The goal
is to keep going until finding some rocky pillars on a beach. The theodolite
marker should be sparkling in the jungle to signify the right area.
• INSPECT rock pillar aligned with glimmer
• EXIT theodolite viewer and go down other side of mountain
17) LONDON DOCKS
Since death is possible here -- even if you apparently do everything right --
saving beforehand is very wise.
• Hide behind box nearest gangplank
• Climb ladder when guard walks to other end of ship (can't see him)
The next time the guard 'rounds the corner, he'll talk with Pablo longer than
usual. This delay is very useful, so don't waste it, i.e. by choosing to
climb ladder when guard walks by gangplank. [If you find yourself dying all
the time, this is most likely why.] If Nico is already climbing the ladder by
the time the guard comes around, the guard will fail to see her, thankfully.
• Open closet door while guard is talking
• Climb ladder before guard sees you!
• When guard investigates open door, climb down and shut the door
• TAKE the MOP and use it on the door (preventing guard from emerging)
If you're too slow or put the mop down, the guard breaks out and gives Nico
what for, bullet-style. Saving here, just to avoid doing the first part again
for whatever reason, isn't a bad idea either.
• LOOK in the porthole (Nico enters automatically)
• TALK to Oubier
• TAKE the JAGUAR STONE
• USE the OBSIDIAN DAGGER on the assailant
If Nico's too slow, she meets a horrible end...but that was obvious, I bet.
There's no cool cutscene to accompany it, so it's not worth seeing, really.
18) ZOMBIE ISLAND [PART 3]
George will encounter a movie set and its crew: Haiku McEwan, his leading
lady, the stunt double (Bert Savage), a cameraman and the director (Hawks).
They're shooting "Treasure Island," and based off how stupid they're acting,
it may be a reference to the 1
• ASK Haiku about himself (x2)
• TALK to the director
• TAKE the SYRUP, PANCAKE and BUN from the buffet table
• Inspect weird, white-flowered bush (x2) to find a hornet's nest
• TALK to Savage about hornet's nest
• Combine the SYRUP and PANCAKE
• Give SYRUPY PANCAKE to Savage
• THROW the BUN into the hornet's nest (x2)
If done right, the hornets play a starring role in the shot, and everyone'll
move down to the beach to continue shooting.
• ASK Bert about himself (x4)
• ASK Hawks about ROCK PILLAR
• INSPECT mobile camera sitting by Harry's feet
• ASK Hawks about Harry
Following the scenes, George will encounter the EAGLE STONE!
19) NATIVE VILLAGE [PART 2]
The view switches over to Nico now, as she encounters the village.
• TAKE George's SHADES (done automatically)
• [Optional] TAKE the UNDERPANTS by village entrance
• INSPECT object in smoldering ashes
• INSPECT large barrel
• ASK Titipoco about barrel
• TAKE the COYOTE STONE from the puddle
• Exit west to visit the...
The first stretch of this place involves Nico and Titipoco.
• INSPECT the elevator gantry
• TAKE the HOUSING sitting on the generator
• USE the OBSIDIAN DAGGER on generator fuel line
• USE the HOUSING on the cut gas line
• USE the gas-filled HOUSING on old generator's cap
• TAKE rope, use it on Titipoco, then ASK him about the rope
• USE hanging rope on the generator
• USE the elevator generator's red button (hard to see)
• USE the elevator's lever
• ASK Titipoco about the lever
• Get on the elevator to ASK Titipoco to power it (Nico reaches upper entry)
• TAKE the AMMUNITION BELT hanging behind Pablo
• USE the elevator to descend
• Walk left for scene with the guards (pick any decoy answer)
• TAKE the torch and have Titipoco light it
• USE AMMUNITION BELT on fuel puddle (Nico uses elevator automatically)
• TALK to Grasiento
• TALK on George
Everyone'll move into the lobby now.
• INSPECT each of the two levers on wall inset
• ASK George about the lever
Nico will be by herself now and has (inarguably) the most annoying puzzle to
complete. It involves two rotating discs with pictures on them, a wall with
10 pressure plates, and a monkey statue with 4 pictures.
____PLATE WALL____ M.STATUE
The gist of is:
1) Match 2 disc pictures (where the discs touch) to one of the wall plates
2) Use this method to indent 2 wall plates
3) If those two match the statue's combination plate, you can press it in
Basically, the monkey statue plates have a combination of 2 of the wall's
plates, so the player has to think about which 2 plates to press in. It's
kinda hard to see with PSX graphics (it's easier on PC), so here's the answer
without too much annoyance:
01: 2 & 5 plates
02: 3 & 10 plates
03: 1 & 8 plates
04: 5 & 9 plates
If done right, the secret passage opens up, and the view'll switch over to
• USE the torch on Titipoco (have him light it)
• USE the map wall lever
George will now come into a tiny maze. It's easy to solve, though.
• USE torch to light wall torch
• USE lever on wall
• Exit west (screen-wise) into 2nd room
• USE both wall levers
• Revisit 1st room via adjacent hallway (don't touch levers here)
• TAKE torch and go down newly-opened stairway
• USE lever near bottom of stairway
• Descend and ENTER final room for ending scenes
The end! The final song ("Happiness is an Inside Job") is pretty catchy, and
as luck would have it, the credits can be viewed from the title screen, so
a player can hear it whenever! How many games can y'say that about?
III. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS [FAQZ]
[Q] - My game freezes at the loading screen!
[A] - I've had the disc animation stop spinning before, only to start up again
30-60 seconds later. I'm not sure why this happens, but it seems more
problematic for emulator users.
[Q] - In Quaramonte, I've had Nico disappear!
[A] - This has happened to me before, too -- she just vanishes from her
marketplace walkabout. Re-entering the screen seems to solve the error,
though, so it shouldn't be game-breaking.
[Q] - I have some items left over in my inventory...
[A] - Some items only have limited (or no) use, but aren't removed from the
inventory...basically they're just clutter. Y'might be able to get a
funny exchange about it though,
IV. UPDATES & CONTRIBUTORS [UPDT]
2-11-12 -------------------+ Started walkthrough
• Sailor/Ceej, for hostin' my crap
• Rio, for injecting some liveliness into the story (y'rock, bro!)
V. LEGALITY [LGLT]
This document is intended for private home use ONLY, and may not be reproduced
through electronic or commercial means without the expressed consent of the
author (P. Summers). It cannot be hosted, edited, or distributed for profit,
and may not be given away as an add-in/gift to bought items. All rights are
reserved to respective parties, even those not explicitly stated herein. Those
who find this document on sites not listed below should e-mail the author (me).
Thanks for reading this, and thanks for respectin' FAQ authors.
Allowed Sites: Disallowed Sites:
• Gametalk.com • cheatcc.com
• GameFAQs.com • gamershell.com
• Chaptercheats.com E-mail me for permissions ~
• Cavesofnarshe.com shotgunnova (a+) gmail (d0t) com.
Document © Shotgunnova, 1997-2012 (and countin'!)
??? namesake © respective owners
E N D O F D O C U M E N T