Backyard Baseball, the series combining playground atmosphere along with real players and teams, continues on computer platforms with the release of Backyard Baseball 2004. The twist is that the ""real"" players in the game appear as children along with the rest of the sandlot lineup. Featured pros include Sammy Sosa, Randy Johnson, Mike Piazza, Shawn Green, Barry Bonds, Ichiro Suzuki, Pedro Martinez, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter and more. They'll compete along with 30 Backyard Kids, a combination of girls and boys, in the following three modes of play: Single Game, Season Play, and Batting Practice.
Single Game has players selecting two teams from a pool of 40, adjusting options such as difficulty level, game length, home field, and whether or not to include power-ups. More than ten fields are available, from a beach and parking lot to a swampland and junkyard. No matter which team is selected, players must pick and choose members in true playground fashion. Each character is rated from one to ten in the following areas: power, contact, pitching, running, and defense. Players can also create their own child prodigy by selecting hair color, skin, body type, accessories, and more before assigning a certain number of skill points.
Created players are used in Season Mode, where they earn experience points used to increase their attributes. Each Backyard Baseball season spans 18 or 32 games, with individual and team statistics tracked and saved to the hard drive. Batting Practice is designed to help players familiarize themselves with the hitting interface as they take their cracks at various pitch types. No matter which mode is selected, players use a cursor-based system for both pitching and hitting. Four available pitch types include a fastball, curve, screwball, and change-up, while hit types consist of power, line drive, grounder, and bunt. Fictional characters Sunny Day and Abner Dubbleplay provide the play-by-play and color commentary, respectively.
- An all-star MLB lineup: Alfonso Soriano, Nomar Garciaparra, Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Carlos Delgado, Ichiro, Dontrelle Willis, Sammy Sosa, Albert Pujols and Eric Gagne
- Additional bonus pros to unlock: Derek Jeter, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Shawn Green, Mike Piazza, Greg Maddux and Jim Thome Vibrant 3D visuals: players, game action and environments
- An updated game engine and all-new code, creating a fresh, "built from the ground up" Backyard Baseball
- All 30 MLB team logos
- Thirty Backyard Kids, as well as original Backyard team names and logos
- Loads of crazy power-ups
- Customizable players
- Quick, single games as well as Season Play action
- Choice of players, fields and game details
- A Home Run Derby mini-game
- Full stats and standings in Season Play
 Hardware Requirements
- Operating System: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
- Processor: Pentium III 500MHz
- Memory: 64 MB RAM (128 MB for Windows 2000/XP)
- Hard Disk Space: 600 MB Free
- CD-ROM Drive: 8X Speed
- Video: 8 MB Windows 98/2000/Me/XP-compatible SVGA video card
- Sound: Windows 98/2000/Me/XP-compatible sound card
- DirectX: DirectX version 9.0 (included) or higher