In Age of Empires: The Age of Kings, take command of one of five different civilizations: the Britons, Franks, Mongols, Saracens, and Japanese. Take control of special "Hero" units like Richard the Lionheart, Robin Hood, and Joan of Arc among others. Command over 45 different types of units from bowmen to hand cannoneers. Age of Empires: The Age of Kings allows you to move from the Dark Ages through the Middle Ages with one goal in mind: domination of the known world.
You'll choose from five civilizations, construct and upgrade over 15 types of buildings, and create, train, and command more than 50 unit types. New technologies will become available as you advance through the ages, and over the course of the campaign a combat advisor will provide counsel before you enter into battle.
The top screen of the Nintendo DS shows all of the necessary information and statistics, leaving the bottom screen with a clean view of the playfield.
- Turn-based combat, new to the Age of Empires franchise, keeps the battle moving at the player-preferred pace.
- Construct and upgrade buildings like town centers, mines, universities and "wonders" to help units learn new skills and create resources for your civilization.
- Research over 50 different technologies like chemistry, ballistics, siege craft and spying among others to take your civilization into the next age.
- Get help from the new Combat Advisor who provides advice on certain campaign strategies and predicts how the battle will go.
- Multiplayer scenarios allow up to four players to battle each other wirelessly.
- Gain Empire Points to unlock maps and units and improve your Emperor Rank.