StoryWith the final battle joined and the legions of darkness gathering, Gandalf (Ian McKellen) urgently tries to rally Gondor's broken army to action. He is aided by Rohan's King Theoden (Bernard Hill), who unites his warriors for history's biggest test.
Yet even with their courage and passionate loyalty, the forces of men--with Eowyn (Miranda Otto) and Merry (Dominic Monaghan) hidden among them--are no match for the enemies swarming against Gondor.
Still, in the face of great losses, they charge forward into the battle of their lifetimes, tied together by their singular goal to keep Sauron distracted and give the Ring Bearer a chance to complete his quest.
Their hopes rest with Frodo (Elijah Wood), a tiny but determined hobbit making a perilous trip across treacherous enemy lands to cast the One Ring into the fires of Mount Doom.
The closer Frodo gets to his final destination, the heavier his burden becomes and the more he must rely on Samwise Gamgee (Sean Astin). Gollum-and the Ring itself-will test Frodo's allegiances and, ultimately, his humanity.
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King concludes the epic story of these characters, their relationships and rivalries, and reveals how through courage, commitment and determination even the least of us can change the world.
- Available Subtitles: English, Spanish
- Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1 EX), English (DTS 6.1 ES Discrete), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
- Commentary by: The Director and Writers: Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, The Design Team: Grant Major, Ngila Dickson, Richard Taylor, Alan Lee, John Howe, Dan Hennah, Chris Hennah, Tania Rodger, The Production/Post-Production Team: Barrie M. Osborne, Mark Ordesky, Jamie Selkirk, Annie Collins, Rick Porras, Howard Shore, Jim Rygiel, Ethan Van der Ryn, Mike Hopkins, Christian Rivers, Alex Funke, Joe Letteri, Randy Cook, Brian Van't Hul, The Cast: Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Sean Astin, John Rhys-Davies, Bernard Hill, Christopher Lee, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Orlando Bloom, Hugo Weaving, Miranda Otto, David Wenham, Karl Urban, John Noble, Andy Serkis, Lawrence Makoare, Smeagol & Gollum
- DISCS 1-2: The Feature:
- A new version of the third installment includes 50 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film. (approx. 250 minutes)
- DISCS 3-4: The Appendices:
- Disc Three: The Appendices Part Five – "The War of the Ring"
- Peter Jackson Intro
- "J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legacy of Middle-earth" documentary
- From Book to Script:
- - "From Book to Script – Forging the Final Chapter" documentary
- - Abandoned Concept: Aragorn Battles Sauron
- Designing and Building Middle-earth:
- - "Designing Middle-earth" documentary
- - "Big-atures" documentary
- - "Weta Workshop" documentary
- - "Costume Design" documentary
- Design Galleries – 2, 123 images:
- - The Peoples of Middle-earth (galleries with docent audio)
- - The Realms of Middle-earth (galleries with docent audio)
- - Miniatures (galleries with docent audio)
- "Home of the Horse Lords" documentary
- "Middle-earth Atlas: Tracing the Journeys of the Fellowship" interactive map
- "New Zealand as Middle-earth" interactive map with on-location footage
- Disc Four: The Appendices Part Six – "The Passing of an Age"
- Elijah Wood/Sean Astin/Billy Boyd/Dominic Monaghan intro
- Filming The Return of the King:
- - "Cameras in Middle-earth" documentary
- - Production Photos (gallery) – 69 images
- Visual Effects:
- - "Weta Digital" documentary
- - "The Mûmakil Battle" demonstration/interactive feature
- Post Production: Journey's End:
- - "Editorial: Completing the Trilogy" documentary
- - "Music for Middle-earth" documentary
- - "The Soundscapes of Middle-earth" documentary
- - "The End of All Things" documentary
- "The Passing of an Age" documentary:
- - "Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for 'Into the West'" documentary
- - "DFK6498" short film
- - "Strike Zone" short film
- Easter eggs: Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn interview Peter Jackson (2004 MTV Movie Awards), Dominic Monaghan interviews Elijah Wood posing as a German journalist
- All four discs are DVD-ROM enabled, featuring a link to lordoftherings.net and access to exclusive online features
Wow. The Return of the King brings The Lord of the Rings saga to a masterful close....
The Lord of the Rings is a series of three movies that takes place in Middle Earth...
we all new that the lord of the ring trilogy would be hard to make, and peter jackson...
Best movie out of the trilogy and it is one of the greatest movies I have seen to this...
- Genre: Fantasy Movies
- Theme(s): Fantasy
- Director: Peter Jackson
- Producer: New Line Cinema
- Length: 201 min
- Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
Theatrical Release North America Dec 17, 2003 Europe Dec 11, 2003 Japan Feb 14, 2004 Australia Dec 26, 2003
Ratings North America PG-13 Europe 12A Japan PG-12 Australia M
Blu-ray Release North America Sep 14, 2010
DVD Release North America May 25, 2004 Europe May 25, 2004
- Also known as:
- Rôdo obu za ringu - Ô no kikan in Japan
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
- Guardians of Middle-Earth
- LEGO The Lord of the Rings
- The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth II
- The Lord of the Rings: The Battle For Middle-Earth
- The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
- The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King
- The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring