StoryOne of TV's more interesting tough-girl action shows, Dark Angel is a distinctive blend of the personal, the adventurous, and the politically aware. Cocreators James Cameron and Charles Eglee present a complex scenario of biological super-science and social collapse in which their gene-manipulated heroine and hacker-journalist hero can genuinely make a difference. In this first season they also provide an adversary who is a lot more than just a conventional villain.
Jessica Alba is impressive as Max, bred and trained as a super-soldier but reclaiming her individual humanity; Michael Weatherly is scruffily attractive as Eyes Only, who sits semi-paralyzed in his eyrie above Seattle uncovering crime, corruption, and other skullduggeries and assigning deadly errands to the woman he hopelessly loves. Jon Savage has real authority as Lydeker, a man who has stretched his conscience to the breaking point, but is not personally corrupt. Some of the best episodes--"Prodigy," for example--are ones in which Lydeker and Max are forced into temporary alliance. Early on, the relationship between Max and the other workers at Jam Pony--the courier firm that provides her with a cover identity--is a little forced, but later on the two parts of Max's life are more successfully integrated: "Shorties in Love," for example, is a genuinely touching tale about Diamond, the doomed criminal ex-lover of Max's lesbian roommate. Dark Angel was never a perfect show, but at its occasional best it manages to be simultaneously funny and dramatic. --Roz Kaveney
- Available subtitles: English, Spanish
- Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
- Commentary by Charles Eglee & David Nutter on pilot episode
- Commentary by Charles Eglee and Renee Echevarria on "Rising"
- Commentary by Charles Eglee, Renee Echevarria, and Charles Woolnaugh on "And I Am a Camera"
- Commentary by Michael Weatherly and Jessica Alba on "...And Jesus Brought a Casserole"
- Featurettes: Dark Angel, Genesis, Seattle Ain't What It Used to Be, Creating an X-5
- Audition tapes
- Gag reel/bloopers
- James Cameron's Dark Angel video game trailer
- Number of discs: 6
|Jessica Alba||Max Guevera/X5-452|
|Michael Weatherly||Logan Cale|
|Alimi Ballard||Herbal Thought|
|Jennifer Blanc||Kendra Maibaum|
|Richard Gunn||Calvin 'Sketchy' Theodore|
|J.C. MacKenzie||Reagan 'Normal' Ronald|
|Valarie Rae Miller||Cynthia 'Original Cindy' McEachin|
|John Savage||Donald Lydecker|
|Tyler Labine||Messenger #2|
|Stephen Lee||Dan Vogelsang|
|Byron Mann||Det. Matt Sung|
|Garry Chalk||Lt. Walter Eastep|
|Douglas O'Keeffe||Bruno Anselmo|
|Lawrence Pressman||Uncle Jonas Cale|
|Nana Visitor||Dr. Elizabeth Renfro/Madame X|
Grencia and 3 others own Dark Angel - The Complete First Season
Grencia and 2 others watched Dark Angel - The Complete First Season
- Genre: TV
- Theme(s): Cyberpunk, Sci-Fi (Futuristic)
- Director: David Nutter
- Producer: Fox
- Length: 1075 mins.
- Aspect ratio: 1.33:1
Theatrical Release North America Oct 3, 2000
DVD Release North America Mar 25, 2004