StorySet against the backdrop of the chaos and civil war that enveloped 1990s Sierra Leone, "Blood Diamond" is the story of Danny Archer (Leonardo DiCaprio), an ex-mercenary from Zimbabwe, and Solomon Vandy (Djimon Hounsou), a Mende fisherman. Both men are African, but their histories and their circumstances are as different as any can be until their fates become joined in a common quest to recover a rare pink diamond, the kind of stone that can transform a life or end it.
Solomon, who has been taken from his family and forced to work in the diamond fields, finds the extraordinary gem and hides it at great risk, knowing if he is discovered, he will be killed instantly. But he also knows the diamond could not only provide the means to save his wife and daughters from a life as refugees but also help rescue his son, Dia, from an even worse fate as a child soldier.
Archer, who has made his living trading diamonds for arms, learns of Solomon's hidden stone while in prison for smuggling. He knows a diamond like this is a once in a lifetime find, valuable enough to be his ticket out of Africa and away from the cycle of violence and corruption in which he has been a willing player.
With the help of Maddy Bowen (Jennifer Connelly), an American journalist whose idealism is tempered by a deepening connection with Archer. The two men embark on a trek through rebel territory, a journey that could save Solomon's family and give Archer the second chance he thought he would never have.
- In-Movie Experience
- Focus Points feature that takes the viewer to in-depth featurettes and production diaries
- Web-enabled extras which allow viewers to use their players to offer opinions in WHV's online polls and to view other special features such as maps of conflict pertaining to war-torn areas in Africa.
- Commentary with director Edward Zwick
- Theatrical trailer
- Documentary: "Blood on the Stone"
- Featurette: "Becoming Archer"
- Featurette: "Journalism on the Front Line"
- Featurette: "Inside the Siege of Freetown"
- Music video: "Shine On Em" by rap artist Nas
|Leonardo DiCaprio||Danny Archer|
|Djimon Hounsou||Solomon Vandy|
|Jennifer Connelly||Maddy Bowen|
|Kagiso Kuypers||Dia Vandy|
|Arnold Vosloo||Colonel Coetzee|
|Benu Mabhena||Jassie Vandy|
|David Harewood||Captain Poison|
|Basil Wallace||Benjamin Kapanay|
|Michael Sheen||Rupert Simmons|
|Ato Essandoh||Commander Rambo|
angel82089 and 6 others own Blood Diamond
Jason Bourne and 3 others watched Blood Diamond
- Genre: Drama Movies
- Director: Edward Zwick
- Producer: Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution
- Length: 143 min
- Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
Theatrical Release North America Dec 15, 2006 Europe Jan 26, 2007 Japan Apr 7, 2007 Australia Jan 4, 2007
Ratings North America R Europe 15 Australia MA
Blu-ray Release North America Jul 3, 2007
DVD Release North America Mar 20, 2007 Europe Jun 18, 2007