==Shenmue II FAQ/Walkthrough v2.6==
By Olly Dean, at firstname.lastname@example.org
NekoFever on the IGN Boards
Check out my website at http://www.shenmuefansite.com
Shenmue is (c) 1999-2001 by Sega Enterprises Ltd.
This document (c) 2001 Oliver Dean
THIS DOCUMENT MAY BE USED FOR FREE ON THE INTERNET AS LONG AS IT IS
UNMODIFIED AND THE USER HAS WRITTEN (EMAILED) PERMISSION FROM THE
). IF YOU ARE FOUND TO BE IN VIOLATION
OF THESE GUIDELINES YOU WILL HAVE VIOLATED INTERNATIONAL COPYRIGHT
LAW AND LEGAL ACTION WILL BE TAKEN.
(vi) CHARACTERS INTRODUCTION
(viii) CHANGES TO THE ENGLISH VERSION
2.(i) DISC 1 WALKTHROUGH
(ii) DISC 2 WALKTHROUGH
(iii) DISC 3 WALKTHROUGH
(iv) DISC 4 WALKTHROUGH
(iv) MOVES LIST, NEW MOVES, AND TRAINING
(v) FREE BATTLE AND QTE
(vii) MAKING MONEY
(ix) USING YOUR SHENMUE I SAVE
(x) CONVERTING A US SAVE TO PAL
(xi) WHAT DO 'THE CUPS' MEAN?
(xii) ARCADE MACHINES
(xiii) THE BAD ENDING
(xv) CHARACTERS REVIEW
3.(i) VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 PASSPORT
(ii) VIRTUA FIGHTER HISTORY
(ii) CONTACT ME
(iii) REVISION GUIDE
Shenmue is a series of games from the creator of Virtua Fighter, Outrun,
Hang-On, and many other classic games, Yu Suzuki. The games tell a
continuous story set in Japan and the Orient in the late-1980's. A
teenage martial artist, Ryo Hazuki, witnesses his father being killed
by a Chinese cartel boss over a mystical mirror. Throughout the series
which is so far known to span Japan, Hong Kong, and possibly China.
Suzuki plans to release about 16 chapters but this looks increasingly
The first instalment, Yokosuka, was released for the Dreamcast in Japan
in late 1999 to great acclaim from players and the games press alike.
Although the game was quite short, it was unparalleled graphically and
anyone who sat through the entire game found it to be an incredible
experience - even if you couldn't understand a word of it.
It came out in the US and Europe in 2000 to similar praise and became
one of Dreamcast's best-selling games. For those who only played and
didn't understand the Japanese version, the plot was great, by the way.
As great as it was, though, there were many loose ends to tie up - who
is that girl in Ryo's dreams? How does Chai fall into everything? Who
exactly is Lan Di? Who did Iwao kill all those years ago?
Enter Shenmue II. It had been seen may times before at various trade
shows, but it was obvious the graphics were even better, with more
people on-screen and more detail. As it would take many years to
release all 16 chapters seperately, Shenmue II is actually a
compilation of chapters 2, 3, and 4. As I know there will be even
more people who import this game without speaking Japanese (I got over
1000 emails about Shenmue before it was even released in the US), and
now, armed with nearly a years worth of Japanese lessons, I present my
Shenmue II FAQ/Walkthrough. Don't forget to check out my Shenmue
website at http://www.shenmuefansite.com
as you're here.
[NOTE: This is the story from the PAL version manual of Shenmue II.
You can see the story of the original by watching the 14-minute
digest movie from the main menu of disc 4]
The year is 1986, the location is Yokosuka, Japan. It's a usual,
tranquil day in the life of Ryo Hazuki, but suddenly it is forever
shattered by the unexpected arrival of unwanted visitors. A man
wearing dark green Chinese clothes appears at the Hazuki family
home, followed closely by his black-suited thugs. Known as Lan Di,
he uses his knowledge of the almighty kung fu and kills Ryo's
father, Iwao, taking away a mysterious Mirror, which he clearly
Vowing to seek revenge, Ryo embarks on a journey to find his
father's killer, but to no avail.
Later, Ryo is given a letter addressed to his late father. The
letter was sent by a man called Yuanda Zhu and warned of danger,
but also told of a person that could be relied on if something
happened. This person was called Master Chen and Ryo was eager
to find him. He explained to Ryo that Lan Di was one of the
leaders of the Chiyoumen, and based on the fact that he had
already obtained one sacred mirror, he was likely to be in
search of the other, as together they made a pair...
Ryo eventually found the mirror, also known as the Phoenix
Mirror, but was still eager to seek Lan Di and avenge his
father's death. Master Chen told of news that Lan Di had left for
Hong Kong, so Ryo decided to pursue, but an unknown attacker
decided to make his move and punish Ryo once and for all.
Strong willed and fighting off his attacker, Ryo also came face
to face with the Mad Angels, closely connected with the
Chiyoumen. With the help of Guizhang, Master Chen's son, they
put and end to the wrath of the Mad Angels. Master Chen then
gave Ryo a letter, which introduced a man called Lishao Tao, he
would help once Ryo departed for Hong Kong.
Who is Yuanda Zhu, the sender of the letter?
What is the hidden mystery behind the Phoenix Mirror?
Where is Lan Di, the killer of Ryo's father?
Ryo arrives in Hong Kong with many questions unanswered, as he
begins his journey to seek the truth behind these mysteries.
Analog Thumb Pad - Look
+ Pad - Moves Ryo/Action Selection
UP - Walk Foward
LEFT - 90 deg Turn Left
DOWN - 180 deg Turn
RIGHT - 90 deg Turn Right
UP and LEFT or RIGHT - Smaller turns while going forward
LEFT TRIGGER - Zoom.
RIGHT TRIGGER - Run/First-person mode.
START BUTTON - Help Menu
A BUTTON - Talk/confirm
B BUTTON - Cancel/place navigation mark
X BUTTON - Notebook/action
Y BUTTON - Money conversation/system menu
NOTE: IF YOU WANT ANALOGUE CONTROLS GO TO THE CONTROLS MENU (OPEN
THE INVENTORY AND SELECT THE CONTROLLER ICON) AND CHANGE THE 3RD
Email me your questions at email@example.com.
I'll email you an
answer and also add the question and answer here.
Q. SHOULD I PLAY THE ORIGINAL BEFORE I PLAY THIS GAME?
A. Definitely. A lot happens in the first game, which may leave you
a bit lost in this game. Also, your Shenmue save will be used in this
game so that you keep Ryo's stats for before. If you raise your
character a lot in the first game it will benefit you by having a
stronger character at the start of the game. Not to mention the
Mysterious Scroll that you get in Shenmue I that is in Chinese and
no-one could translate fully in Yokosuka.
Q. DO I NEED TO HAVE PLAYED THE ORIGINAL?
A. No you don't have to. It is recommended that you do though.
Q. WHERE CAN I GET THIS GAME?
A. The game is no longer coming out in the US for DC, so unless you
either import the Japanese version or import the PAL version from
the UK you'll have to wait until Q3 2002 and buy a $300 X-Box if you
want to play it. I'd recommend buying either a PAL or Japanese
version, both of which will be available from Video Game Centre
or Computer Exchange
Q. DO YOU STILL PLAY AS RYO IN THIS GAME?
A. Yes, it's a continuation of the first game.
Q. WILL YOU MEET THAT GIRL FROM RYO'S DREAMS IN SHENMUE II?
A. She is Ling Sha Hua and you will meet her in Hong Kong. She has
been seen in various movies of Shenmue II on the Internet, along with
the new female supporting characters such as Joy.
Q. MOVIES ON THE INTERNET? WHERE?
A. Try dc.ign.com, www.videogames.com, or www.segaweb.com. There are
also videos with the Japanese Fighting Vipers 2 for Dreamcast and if
you see the Shenmue Movie in Japan you'll get a little preview.
Q. NOW THAT THE DC IS DEAD WILL SHENMUE II COME OUT ON ANOTHER
A. Yes, but only in the US. In the US it will come out in late 2002
for Microsoft's X-Box. Yes it sucks, but you can buy a Japanese
version (in Japanese) or a PAL version (in English) from the UK.
If you have a US DC you'll need something to play imports. I'd
recommend either a mod chip, DC-X boot disc, or a Gameshark.
Q. WILL THERE BE A SHENMUE III?
A. Although Yu Suzuki originally said that he wanted 16 chapters of
the Shenmue saga, this statement was made back in the glory days of
the Dreamcast. Now that the DC is being euthanased we don't know what
will happen after Shenmue II, but I think that Suzuki will end the
series on DC with this one. At least if he does that he'll silence
those annoying little people who email me to ask if I can make
Shenmue II the last game in the series - I DON'T MAKE THE GAME!
Q. SHOULD I IMPORT THE GAME OR WAIT?
A. It depends. You could wait for the X-Box version but you'll need
to buy Microsoft's $300 X-Box as well as wait until late 2002, but
I'd recommend either buying the Japanese version (which is in
Japanese) or a PAL version from the UK this November (in English).
Q. WHERE CAN I IMPORT A COPY?
A. Here is Olly's Definitive Import Store Guide:
--------- http://www.videogamecentre.co.uk http://www.cagames.co.uk http://www.cex.co.uk
--------- http://www.tronixweb.com http://www.ncsx.com http://www.therage.com http://www.upstategames.com
At least one of those will be able to help you out and they all ship
anywhere in the world. If you live in the US and want to import a
Japanese copy I'd recommend using a US-based importer but if you
want the PAL English-language version one use a UK-based one.
**This review can be found at:
The original Shenmue was released as the first in an epic saga about
a young man in Japan who witnesses his father being murdered by a
mysterious Chinese cartel boss. The game was revolutionary both
aesthetically and in gameplay terms. It had flaws, but was almost
universally praised as the true future of gaming.
Shenmue II was planned along with Shenmue, and when it was finally
released in Japan in early September 2001 I was down at my local
importer faster than you can say 'obsessed'. I had to pay £60 ($86)
for the special edition, but was it worth it. Absolutely. Definitely.
The graphics in Shenmue II, like in the prequel, are stunning.
Considering the Dreamcast is over 3 years old the visuals that it is
capable of are incredible. Granted, there is some slowdown in busy
areas, the fade-in is still there and there is a nasty shimmering
effect, but when you see what your DC is pushing around you will be
amazed. The sleepy streets of Yokosuka are far behind - this is
bustling Hong Kong and the atmosphere is incredible. The minor NPC's
still look weird but the character detail is even better than before.
The original was renowned for it's brilliant and epic soundtrack
that rivaled any major Hollywood movie. Unfortunately in my opinion
Shenmue II doesn't quite manage to equal it. This is by no means a
bad thing as the music is still suitably epic-sounding, but I just
don't find the more Chinese music as good as the more Japanese
material in Shenmue. It still contains a lot of the original music
but it's not the same in the new contexts. The voice acting is
still as high as the Japanese original (and thankfully infinitely
better than the robotic English Shenmue voices). This would easily
be a 10 if it had retained more of the original music.
If you've played the original you'll know what to expect - this is
one of the most engrossing adventure games you can play. You can
explore anywhere, talk to anyone, and if you can see something
happening (arm wrestling, street fighting, etc) chances are you can
join in and even win money from it. There is a lot more action in
this game than in the prequel and there is no longer any more
tedious waiting for appointments thanks to a useful time-skip
feature. Also now if you want money you don't have to work the
forklift. Now you can carry crates, arm wrestle, fight, pawn off
your toys from Shenmue I, or gamble on a variety of games. It
makes for a lot more FREE (pun intended) experience.
The game will take you about 20 hours if you take the time to play
all the little games, explore everywhere, and take in the atmosphere.
If you're anything like me though you'll play it through again which
will take about 10-15 hours. There is a lot of fun to be had if you
work through this game slowly, enjoying all the little details.
This is more than a game, it's an experience. If you want your DC to
go out with a bang you really have to get this game either on
Japanese import or PAL import if you live in the US. It is absolutely
incredible and any flaws really are minor and pointing them out would
be nitpicking. Worth every penny and an instant classic.
(vi) CHARACTERS INTRODUCTION
RYO HAZUKI - The main character. He arrived in Hong Kong to continue
the chase to catch his father's killer, Lan Di. He is polite but has
a short temper when it comes to thugs. Just ask the Mad Angels from
Yokusuka, they'll second that!
SHENHUA REI - The mysterious girl in Ryo's dreams from Shenmue I. You
won't reallyfind out more about her until way later on in the game.
LISHAO TAO - Lishao Tao is one of the main reasons why Ryo is heading
to Hong Kong.Master Chen helped in sending you here just to meet this
person. Will the connectionbetween Ryo's father and the mirrors be
LAN DI - The big bad guy of Shenmue and a major player in the Chinese
Chiyoumen organization.He is a master of a little-known martial art
which makes him highly lethal, as he managed to kill Iwao Hazuki and
injure Ryo Hazuki who are both master martial artists without breaking
into a sweat or being hit once. A highly dangerous foe. No wonder
Ine-san tried to stop Ryo from following him to Hong Kong.
JOY - Not much is known about this hot biker girl as she has only been
seen in a few videos and pictures. The one time she has been seen so far
is when she nearly runs over Ryo on her bike. You'll meet up with her
near the beginning of the game a few times - is she a friend or a foe?
Subareas: Worker's Pier, Fortune's Pier, Queen's Street, Beverly
Description: This is the first area and it is full of shops, guides,
and thieves who prey on tourists who come in from the
piers. Beverly Hills Wharf is a very dangerous place
occupied by the Heavens gang who don't take kindly to
intruders, although their leader Ren knows information
that is essential to your journey.
Area: WAN CHAI
Subareas: Green Market Qr, South Carmain Qr, Wise Man's Qr,
Golden Qr, White Dynasty Qr, Lucky Charm Qr.
Description: This is the market area which is located on the other
side of King's Street to Aberdeen. Each of the quarters
is full of shops of certain types. This is the area
where you will spend much of discs 1 and 2 as you go
find information from the various martial artists who
are found in this area.
Subareas: Dragon Street, Thousand White Qr, Dimsum Qr, Stand Qr,
Yellow Head Building, various smaller buildings and
Description: This is where disc 3 is spent. Compared to the other
areas it is massive and the skyscrapers only make it
seem even bigger. No matter how big it appears from
the ground it gets much bigger when you get the chance
to explore the buildings. You have to be very careful
here because Kowloon is home to the massive Don Nui and
his Yellow Head Syndicate.
Subareas: Langhuishan, Green Field, Yingshuihe, Deep Green Way,
Crag, Rocky Area, Shenhua's House, Cloud Bird Trail,
Description: The final area is where the fourth disc takes place.
A large river flows through this place which contains
forests, mountains, a village, fields, and many
beautiful landmarks. It also holds the secret to the
Dragon and Phoenix Mirrors.
(viii) CHANGES TO THE ENGLISH VERSION
Unlike the original, the US version of Shenmue II is going to be
subtitled into English only. It _will not_ be dubbed like the first
game was. Don't worry though, because I thought that the below-average
English dub took away from the atmosphere of the game - after all, not
everyone in Japan speaks English. I think the system for signs from the
first game will be retained in which looking at a Japanese sign will
make the translation appear as a subtitle.
The original name changes remain, as well as a couple of other changes:
JP NAME -> US NAME
Souryu -> Lan Di
Shenhua Rei -> Shenhua Ling
Cool J -> Cool Z
[NOTE: Cool J's name was changed to prevent legal problems from the
rapper LL Cool J]
2.(i) DISC 1 WALKTHROUGH
This is mostly a step-by-step guide to the game, so I wouldn't recommend
following it straight through, so take some time to explore the huge
environments, otherwise you'll finish the game very quickly and you would
have wasted a fair bit of money.
Now turn on your Dreamcast, sit back, and watch the intro credits and
[NOTE: THIS IS THE START OF SHENMUE CHAPTER 2]
- Ryo gets off the boat on the Worker's Pier, Aberdeen, Hong Kong, on
- Read Master Chen's letter - it tells you to go to find a man called
Lishao Tao who can be found in Yan Tin Apartments, South Carmain Qr, Wan
- Walk forward until you get a cut-scene with some musicians. They pay
you a song that supposedly brings luck to travellers. You can choose
whether to pay them HK$100 or not (pay <--> don't). If you do, the woman
will point you towards Wan Chai.
- Continue on past the annoying photographer and tour guides. A woman
with a young girl will tell you to watch out for the photographer who
will pester you later and will show you where you can stay and save for
free. Go there and buy a map from the dispenser (HK$10) and if you must,
buy some Gotcha-gotcha eggs.
- Inside, pressing A will bring up the following menu:
save <--|--> options
There's a free winning can on the shelves at the back - you know you
want it! If you look in the drawer next to this you will find a forklift
Gotcha-gotcha, and you can take the flier for the Honest Pawn Shop on
- Take this opportunity to save, then leave and continue on past the
fortune teller to the next section of the Worker's Pier.
- As you walk along you'll get an opportunity to armwrestle in a
competition against a big Mexican wrestler, Jimenez Garcia. The promoter
will offer you help if you can beat the armwrestler. Agree to a match
(left option) and pay your HK$10 bet. In the match, bash A as fast as
you can and be ready to press left in a QTE at least once. You get
HK$100 for winning, and you can play again if you want by pressing left
again when given the option. It's much tougher the second time. When
you've finished the promoter will give you directions to Wan Chai.
- Continue on and meet Joy, one of the new heroines. She warns you about
thieves in Hong Kong - HEED THIS WARNING!
~ NOTE: In a while from now you will be mugged and will lose all your ~
~ money. This is unavoidable but you can save some of your money. Your ~
~ most profitable option is to find the stall along the waterfront that ~
~ sells Zippo lighters. Spend all your money on them at HK$50 each and ~
~ you can sell them at a pawnbrokers for HK$20 each. This means you ~
~ will retain 40% of your money. ~
- Follow the signs to Wan Chai. Don't worry, they're in English.
- As you enter Wan Chai you'll have your first encounter with the Heavens
gang. They've stolen your bag! Ryo will attempt to chase them but they
will have split up and he'll lose them.
- Head to Queen's Street and walk up to the restaurant with the drunken
heavies and they'll attempt to fight you to get some money. Before the
fight starts, Joy will appear and break it up. She tells you to look
near the fountain in Pigeon Park to find Wong, the boy who stole your
- Go to the fountain you saw previously and head towards the waterfront.
You will see Wong playing near the buildings. A QTE follows, and the
sequence is A, left, right, A, B, left, left, right, A, right, down, A.
If you succeed you'll have to fight two Heavens until Wong returns your
bag. If you fail this time read on...
- Go to the Lai Lai Eatery (you passed it during the last QTE) and ask
the woman in green about Wong. She tells you where he is - just around
- Go where she pointed and you'll find Wong drinking with friends with
your money. He'll run and you'll have another, shorter QTE.
- If you fail again head to the fountain and look for the alley that the
boy ran down. Go into the Lai Lai Eatery and free battle the two Heavens.
Win the fight and the boy will appear. If you lose go to the fountain and
free battle again.
- When you manage to beat them follow Wong and he'll return your bag
(minus your money!!!!). He tells you that the guys gambled away your
money, but to say sorry he tells you about a guy in a Guest House in Wan
Chai who can help you. He'll draw you a map to the guest house.
- If it's not closed go into the Big Catch Tackle Shop on Queen's Street
and get the picture of Wong with a fish.
- Go all the way through Queen's Street and across the bridge.
- Cross the bridge over King's Road to enter Wan Chai.
- Continue following the map until Joy finds you. She'll tell you to get a
discount from the Come Over Guest House by saying her name.
- Enter and get your room key (203) and go up to your room. After putting
your bag safely into the closet save and go to sleep. If it's still day
leave and go back the way you came. You'll meet a man outside a shop
trying to straighten a sign. Help him and he'll tell you where to go next.
- The next day your watch alarm wakes you at 7:45am and Joy pulls up
- She takes you to Fortune's Pier where you can work for Mr Sun carrying
crates until 1pm. Listen to what your partner Delin says - hidari means
left, migi means right, and anything else he says means up. You'll get
HK$10 per crate.
- When you finish work you can gamble in one of the numerous gambling
spots in Fortune's Pier. Just ask anyone about gambling (Y) and they'll
take you to a place. I wouldn't risk it now that you're so low on funds.
- If you return to Wan Chai via Pigeon Park you'll have a cut-scene with
the annoying photographer from the start of the game.
- Head in the direction of your guest house but head right instead of
left at the T-junction in Wan Chai. Continue on past the Guang Martial
Arts School where some martial artists are training and go up the steps
into South Carmain Qr.
- Walk straight ahead and enter Lotus Park. There's a short cut-scene
with Jianmin, the sensei training under the tree. Spar with him and he'll
tell you where to find Yan Tin Apartments
- Continue on and when the street branches take the right fork.
- Ryo should pause when you reach the Yan Tin Apartments. Enter the
building and there will be a cut-scene with an old woman who thinks
you're a land shark trying to buy the building.
- Note the room number that you need - #205. Go up one floor and
knock on the door of the room. The guy will tell you that Lishao Tao who
you're looking for has moved away but he'll only tell you where if you
pay him. If you have it give him HK$50 and he'll tell you that he's at
the Man Mo-something [sic] in Wise Man's Qr. If you want to you can go
up to the top floor and talk to the guy at the end of the corridor -
it's the brother of the waiter from the Ajiichi restaurant in Yokosuka!
- Leave the apartments and follow the signs for Man Mo China/Wise Man's
- Ask passers-by for directions (they'll point out the route - listen
to what they say, hidari = left, migi = right) until you find signs for
Scarlet Hills. Follow them and go up the tall steps when you reach them.
- Enter the Man Mo Temple on the left. Inside you'll meet Xiuying and a
priest, Hanhui. Hanhui know's Tao but he'll only take you to meet him if
you know about the four 'Wude'.
- Head back to Wise Man's Qr. and you'll get another short scene with
Xiuying. She'll tell you that you should ask a martial artist about
- Walk ahead and enter the Wise Man's Kung Fu shop. Inside talk to the
owner about Wude. He'll tell you to go to Guang Martial Arts School and
ask the sensei, Master Zhoushan.
- Return to Green Market Qr. via South Carmain Qr. and enter the Guang
Martial Arts School you saw earlier.
- Talk to Master Zhoushan on the raised platform about Wude. He tells
you that he has no right to talk about Wude because he has ruined
another man's life. You must find his expelled student who works as
a street performer in Golden Qr.
- Go to Golden Qr. and enter the mall (ask any passer-by the right
option and they'll take you to it). Go right from the entrance and
walk up to the down-and-out on the floor. He is Zongquan, the
expelled student This will activate a cut-scene in which he'll tell
everyone you're a karate expert from Japan who will break a rock for
them. Press A when the bar is as full as possible and again when it
fills again. Ryo should break the rock.
- When Ryo tells Zongquan about his sensei he'll give you a letter
to take back to Guang Martial Arts School. Take it back and there
will be a cut-scene in which Zhoushan will tell you about the first
Wude that Zongquan broke by becoming a martial arts street
performer: JIE - never showing your skills thoughtlessly. Talk to
Zhoushan again and he'll tell you to ask Jianmin, the sensei in
Lotus Park in South Carmain Qr about the second Wude.
- Return to Lotus Park and talk to Jianmin. Spar with him and he'll
teach you a new move, the Tai Chi Iron Palm (X+A). When you've done
it he says that he'll tell you the next Wude if you cover the floor
in leaves from the tree by using the move on it. Practice on the tree
until the bar on your VMU screen is full. You MUST fill the bar to get
the note that allows you to progress. Try and time it so that the
power bar is as high as possible. When you finish he'll tell you the
second Wude: GON - practicing every day without fail.
- Go back and ask Zhoushan about a martial artist again. He'll tell
you about a martial artist called Zhangyu who owns a barber in 3
Blades Street, Lucky Charm Qr.
- Find Lucky Charm Qr. Head down 3 Blades Street (tailors, cook,
and barber - like in Shenmue) and enter Zhangyu Barber's.
- Zhangyu agrees to tell you about the third Wude while he trims you
hair. He tells you not to move no matter what happens. He'll then put
his razor to Ryo's throat. You'll have a quick QTE but _DO NOT_ press
anything - he's just testing Ryo's cool. This is the third Wude: DAN -
judge with a clear mind.
- After this he'll tell you about the Bloom Tailor down the street
where many martial artists get their clothes made. Leave the shop and
turn left to get there. The owner will tell you about Guixhang who
lives in Yan Tin Apartments.
- Go to the Yan Tin Apartments and free battle the large gang of land
sharks who are annoying the old woman who you saw before outside in
the construction site. After you win the old woman will reveal herself
to be Guixhang. She tells you that the last Wude is do not hesitate to
do the right thing. Unfortunately she forgot the name, but Master Mo
at Man Mo Temple will know.
- Go to Wise Man's Qr, then to Scarlet Hills and the Man Mo Temple.
- The guy outside won't let you in. When the two options pop up
(negotiate <--> break in) choose break in. Ryo will divert the man's
attention - take the opportunity to enter the temple. Inside choose
the left option to clean the soot off the walls. Wipe the walls in
the following places:
| 2.|___| |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |1.
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
- When you uncover the second one it'll reveal the final Wude - YI.
Xiuying and Hanhui will appear and you'll find out that Xiuying is
Lishao Tao! Ryo will follow her outside.
- You will have to fight Xiuying but she'll dodge every one of your
attacks and will eventually move in and overpower you. She'll hand
you a map to her apartment where you'll be staying.
- Follow the map meet her outside her apartment block, Da Yuan
Apartments. The easiest route is straight down the steps from the
temple, straight ahead to Wise Man's Kung Fu, right, and then right
again at the junction. Approach Xiuying.
- Follow her upstairs - you are now staying in her apartment at
END OF DISC 1
(ii) DISC 2 WALKTHROUGH
- You'll be woken in Xiuying's room by Fangmei Xun, Xiuying's
assistant. She'll greet you ("ohayo gozaimasu" - "good morning")
and you'll be taken to the yard of the Man Mo Temple.
- Here you have a job to do until 12pm. You must carry piles of
books from the library to the tables outside in order to air them
out. Press A to pick up a pile, then hold R to carry them outside
(steering is automatic). The further down you hold it the faster
Ryo will walk, but you will have to be ready for some QTEs on the
directional buttons - the faster you walk the faster the QTEs come.
You'll do this every day for a while so get used to it. If you
manage to carry every pile you'll get a cut-scene with Xiuying.
When you finish Hanhui will give you a move scroll (this happens
- You can't leave Wise Man's Qr so ask the owner of the antique
shop at the bottom of the steps leading to Scarlet Hills if she
knows anything about Yuanda Zhu. She knows that he founded the
5 Star Corp and wrote a martial arts book called the Walinshu.
She says maybe the Wise Man's Kung Fu Shop has a copy. Go there.
- Ask the shopkeeper about the Wulinshu and he'll tell you that
the only copy is kept in the Man Mo Temple Library. The library
will be locked so choose the left option to pass the time until
the next day. Then you can air out the books until you finish.
If you finish it completely once more you will be taught a new
move, Lunging Strike (forward+X+A), by Hanhui.
- At 12pm you can stop, so go into the library and into the back
left corner. Press A to inspect the cabinet and Ryo will see a
book that he needs - the Wulinshu. Unfortunately the cabinet is
- Go outside and head for the front of the temple. As you go
round the corner Xiuying will stop you. Ryo asks for the book,
but she wants you to clear the revenge from your mind before she
thinks you're worthy of the key. To do this you must catch the
leaves like she does.
- When you're in first-person mode, use the analogue stick to
focus on a leaf and keep it as central as possible, and when you
see motion blur on the leaf and hear a chime as you follow it
down press A. You should catch it but if you don't just try again.
- Afterwards, Xiuying wants you to do it three times in a row to
prove that it wasn't a fluke and that your mind is truly clear.
Follow the same tactic as above but just do it three times. If
you miss one you'll have to start again.
- When you succeed at it three times she'll stop torturing you
and hand over the key. Go and unlock the cabinet and get the book.
When you see that the master of Tiger Swallow Style Kung Fu is
Sunming Zhao, Ryo will have a flashback about Lan Di (his first
appearance in Shenmue II!!) because Sunming Zhao is the man that
Iwao Hazuki killed. You'll get a scrap of paper which falls out
(this and the following cup sequence is explained in section
- Head back to Xiuying's apartment and a cut-scene will occur as
you go up the stairs of the apartment block. After looking at the
picture she drops that says "Xiuying and Ziming" on the back you
can go to bed.
- The next morning Fangmei will wake you again. Ryo will ask her
who Ziming is and she'll tell you that Xiuying was raised in an
orphanage which her brother Ziming left when she was young. You'll
have to carry the books from the library. It's the same as before
except halfway through it Fangmei will offer you some tea. Ryo will
say that she reminds him of the cat near his house in Shenmue and
she'll storm off
- Take the paper to Collect Antiques and the owner will explain it
- Go and see Guixhang in Yan Tin Apartments by entering and
knocking on room 101 and she'll tell you how to interpret it.
- When prompted, arrange the 4 cups in the pattern shown on the
paper. The pattern is this:
To do it you must move the leftmost cup up once and the third from
left cup down one. Press A when you're finished. Remember this
pattern as you'll need it soon.
~ NOTE: If you go back to Yan Tin Apartments now Guixhang will ~
~ teach you a new move in the construction yard outside. After ~
~ explaining that she taught Jianmin his Tai Chi, she will teach ~
~ you the Hind Blow (Y+B). Perform it on the Land Shark and his ~
~ brother to learn it. ~
[NOTE: If you need to go to Xiuying's Apartment until the next
morning do so - in the morning you'll have to do the book job until
12pm when you'll be given a move by the priest again]
- Go to the Man Mo Bistro near Man Mo Park in Wise Man's Qr and
make the Chawan Sign. You will be given a note that tells you to
wait at the Come Over Guest House.
- Go to Green Market Qr via South Carmain Qr and head for the
Guang Martial Arts School. There will be a short cut-scene. After
it, enter the courtyard.
- Zhoushan will teach you a new throw, the Wild Throw. Press B
followed by any direction on the D-pad to perform it. On the fourth
practice throw the man towards Zhoushan and you'll have mastered it.
~ If you want to you can take this opportunity to go to the Pine ~
~ Game Arcade and talk to Joy. You may notice that she mentions ~
~ both Yokosuka and Master Chen. This is not essential to the game ~
~ however. ~
~ Use the cup sign in the White Dynasty Quarter at Bai Jung ~
~ This will reveal a scene in which a boy is being bullied by ~
~ Yuan's thugs, a Command QTE occurs (X,A,B), the thugs run off to ~
~ tell Yuan, and the boy offers you a duck. ~
~ - Shane Gibson ~
~ If you want to go to the cafe in Green Market Qr called Canton ~
~ Cafe and make the Chawan sign. You'll have a short QTE with the ~
~ two drunken thugs from near the start of the game. ~
- Go to the Guest House and choose to wait (left option). At 7pm the
owner will answer the phone but it'll be for you. They tell you to go
to Man Mo Park.
- To get there enter Wise Man's Qr from South Carmain Qr. Go right
past all the antique shops until you reach some steps leading up to
the Man Mo Bistro. The park is on the right.
- You'll be confronted by a mysterious thug under the tree, but be
ready to press right in a QTE.
- You'll now have to free battle a couple of thugs. At the start
of the fight you're surrounded but if you separate them up and
attack one while the other is down it's an easy fight.
- The men are looking for Yuanda Zhu, too. All they know is that he
sometimes makes contact at the Dou Jiang Diner in Lucky Charm Qr.
- Go to Lucky Charm Qr and look for Dou Jiang Diner - it's opposite
Earnest Tea Shop. Arrange the cups inside and you'll be given another
note from the unidentified messenger. Ryo will try to follow him but
he's gone. It tells you to go back there at 8pm.
- You'll have to be back at the diner at 8pm as the note says. By
going back into the diner you'll have the option to fast-forward the
time until the meeting. Select the left option to do this.
- Ryo will meet an associate of Yuanda Zhu, but almost as soon as
the meeting begins it'll be gatecrashed by a gang of thugs. Free
battle them, but the guy who you were meeting with has been taken.
- There's now a _HUGE_ QTE. The combination is B, A, A, A, B, X, then
there will be a new-style command QTEs. When the guy appear with a
melon the action will freeze and you'll be shown a button combination
in order to avoid harm. The combination is down, down, X. After that
the QTE continues: B, A, B, B, B, A, B, A, X, A, B, X. There will be
another command QTE at the end in order to avoid a beating with a lead
pipe from Yuan. The combination is down, right, A. During this action
you will have recieved a little background help from Xiuying.
- Afterwards the guy you saved will tell you that his name is Zhang.
Yuanda Zhu is in hiding because the Chiyoumen is looking for him and
he doesn't know where he is but a rival of Don Nui of the Yellow Head
syndicate, Ren of Heavens may know his whereabouts. Ren is the leader
of the Heavens gang in Aberdeen (Heavens No Ren = Ren of the Heavens).
- The next day leave Scarlet Hills. You can't go through Wise Man's
Qr because of construction work so take a detour through Lucky Charm
- There'll be a cut-scene with Joy as you go through Lucky Charm Qr.
She just asks where you're staying as you are not staying in the
guest house any more, but only insults Ryo.
- Go back to Aberdeen and to Worker's Pier. Look for the two boat
captains on the left as you enter. Talk to the one on the left. He
says that Ren and the Heavens are found in Beverly Hills Wharf.
- Go to the entrance to Beverly Hills Wharf (you should have seen it
at the start of the game). The guard won't let you in so it looks
like you're going to have to find another way in.
- Go into Fortune's Pier, go forward, and on the right there's a
red metal staircase. Go all the way to the top and enter the Blue
Sky Beer Garden.
- Talk to the guy playing darts at the end of the corridor. Agree
to play him. Agree to the terms that if you beat him he'll give you
the information about where to find Heavens members. Whether you
beat him or not he likes you so he'll tell you about the Heavens in
warehouse 8 at 7pm.
- Go to warehouse 8 and choose to skip to 7pm.
- Free battle the Heavens and if you beat them (not difficult)
they'll take you into Beverly Hills Wharf. You'll have to free
battle a whole load of Heavens but eventually you'll be
overwhelmed and beaten up.
- You'll wake up in Wong's boat. He's looking after you until
you're better. The next day he'll give you a Heavens lighter which
acts like a pass to get into Beverly Hills Wharf.
- Leave the boats and when you reach land turn right, then left up
the concrete steps. You'll have your first first-person free
battle against one of the Heavens. This is how you'll fight all the
Heavens so get used to it. Ryo's three-kick combo is very effective
(A, A, A).
- Walk up to the group of Heavens ahead and talk to the one who was
on the gate before. Free battle them and he'll tell you about Cool
J (named Cool Z in the English version, presumably because Sega
didn't want a lawsuit from LL Cool J's lawyers) who knows where to
- Continue on and take the first right, then go right again.
- Fight the Heavens and you'll get a map of Beverly Hills Wharf for
- Continue on until you find an arena fight in progress. You can
take part in this later but for now continue on and fight three
Heavens. When you win one of them will lead you to Cool Z.
- Cool Z says he'll take you to Ren for HK$500. Take this
opportunity to place a navigation mark (B) in this area because
Beverly Hills Wharf is like a maze until you get used to the
- You'll have to raise the money. You can fight the wildman in the
ring in Beverly Hills for cash that increases with each level - if
the wrestler is at level 1 you'll get HK$10, if he's at level 4
you'll get HK$40, etc. To beat him you have to knock him out in 5
hits. I got the money by working at Fortune's Pier, but you could
always work the Pachinko boards, armwrestle, or gamble. Probably
the quickest way to get the money is to play Big or Small (walk
past the steps leading to Blue Sky, turn right, then left, and
into the alley). Bet the maximum and keep betting on Big as it has
the best odds. You can double your bet each time and I got up to
over HK$1000 within a few minutes.
~ Around this time if you work carrying crates you will be taught ~
~ a new move, the Brawling Uppercut by Delin. It's a very powerful ~
~ move and definitely worth getting. To perform in you have to ~
~ press back, back+X ~
- When you've got HK$500 go and see Cool Z again. He'll take you to
- Ren will take your donation and pull a knife on you in an attempt
to kill you. You'll have to press left, right, A in a command QTE.
Impressed, Ren will give you a map of Fortune's Pier that lets you
know where to meet him to find Yuanda Zhu.
- Go to Fortune's Pier and follow the map.
- Ren will take you to F warehouse. He'll spring a stealthy attack
and steal the money, but it will blow your cover. Free battle 2
- Whether you win or not, go outside where Wong and Joy tell you
to find Ren in Pigeon Park (he set you up to take your money and
ran off while you were busy!).
- Go to Pigeon Park in Aberdeen for a cut-scene. All the Heavens
will run in different directions. Follow any one but the quickest
route is to go straight for Ren who's hiding in Lucky Plaza in
Queen's Street. It's an alleyway on the left as you walk down the
- When Ren sees you he'll run into the construction site. Ryo will
follow him and you'll have another QTE on your hands. The proper
combination is down, A, left, then you'll have to be ready on the
left and right buttons as Ryo is off-balance walking across a thin
- After the pole QTE there will be a command QTE on the roof.
You'll have to press up, A, up. Ryo and Ren will fall off the roof
and land on a conveniently-placed truck.
- Ren will notice the Phoenix Mirror which has fallen out of Ryo's
pocket. He thinks that there is money involved so in exchange for
some of the money he tells you that Yuanda Zhu is in Kowloon.
You'll have to meet him there.
- The next day go to the Man Mo Temple and head around the back.
Xiuying will have a flashback about her brother Ziming and then
teach you a new move, the Counter Elbow Assault (back+X+A).
Perform it on Hanhui to master it.
- There will be a cut-scene with Fangmei in which she'll give you a
picture of everyone from the temple to remember them by because
you're going to Kowloon!!
END OF DISC 2
(iii) DISC 3 WALKTHROUGH
[NOTE: THIS IS THE START OF SHENMUE CHAPTER 3]
- You'll arrive by bus in Kowloon on Dragon Street.
- Walk ahead to meet Cool Z. He'll take you to Ren's hideout. Ren
will tell you about a former associate of Yuando Zhu called Yang
who owns a herb shop in the Great View Building.
- Follow Ren to the Great View Building in Thousand White Qr. Don't
run ahead or Ryo will get lost and go back to the hideout.
- Go to the 2nd floor and into Great View Herbs. Ring the bell on
- After the cut-scene in which Yang tells you the password to
meet Zhu ("Dragons Don't Sleep") and that you can find him in
the Dancing Dragon Building. You will be outside with Ren. This
is Don Nui's territory so Ren won't go any further, but you can
leave the building and go left and under the archway. Turn left
and go up the steps into Dimsum Qr.
- Bear right and then go left. On the right you should see the
Stand Qr and the Dancing Dragon Building. Go into it.
- Go left and there will be a suited guard. Talk to him - one
of Ryo's phrases ("Dragons") should cause another 4 options to
appear. Find it and choose the longest phrase out of the new 4
("Don't Sleep"). He should point you towards the stairs.
- Go up the stairs until you come to a guard but no gate in front
of the corridor. Say the same thing to him as you did to the first
guard and he'll let you pass.
- Go on up the stairs (if you're stopped say the same thing) until
you find the door with the dragons on either side. Enter and watch
the cut-scene that introduces Don Nui, the Hong Kong kingpin.
- Ryo and Ren will be thrown into a cell and handcuffed together.
Three days later they'll make an escape attempt. When the guard
opens the door be ready for a command QTE (X,A).
- You'll now have a series of QTEs and cut-scenes as Ryo and Ren
try to escape. You'll have to press the right direction or action
button to make sure they run the same way. Midway through it
you'll have a command QTE to open the door - just press up, A.
When it finishes you'll get a scene of them spending the night on
the roof. Ryo tells Ren the story about his father, the mirrors,
and Lan Di.
- The next day when you head for the elevator Yuan will appear.
Press down, right, A in a QTE to avoid her knife and beat her.
- Before you can celebrate your victory Don Nui appears out of
the other elevator. He'll chase you but you'll be stuck at a
dead end on an upper floor. As Ryo and Ren take a run-up you'll
have to press up, up, A in a command QTE to jump to the next
building and safety.
- You'll now be back in Ren's hideout. Cool Z will get Wong to
remove your cuffs. Outside you'll have a cut-scene with Joy.
You're going back to Great View Herbs to get revenge on Yang for
setting you up.
- Follow Ren to Great View Herbs. When threatened Yang tells you
that a wiretapper called Huang may know where Yuanda Zhu is. He
is found in room 902 of the Tea Break Building.
- After the cut-scene go behind the Great View Building and into
- A little further along there will be an open-fronted cafe with
a woman in a kimono. In the back you will find the entrance to
Tea Break Building. Go inside.
- Take the elevator up to the 9th floor. Turn around and go down
the corridor to find room 902, Huang's Room.
- Turn on the light switch and lift the cardboard box off of the
trash can. Ryo will take the trash can full of tapes back to Ren.
~ This final tape is quite amusing to listen to because it is full ~
~ of tapped phone calls. You hear several related to previous ~
~ events in the game (land sharks wanting to evict Guixhang, Yang ~
~ informing Don Nui about you, and many of Yuan). The best is the ~
~ last call when the timer reads 651 when you hear Joy call ~
~ Gui Zhang from Shenmue and tell him about Ryo. She refers to ~
~ Master Chen as 'Uncle Chen' but this does not mean that she and ~
~ Guizhang are cousins as older people are commonly referred to as ~
~ 'Aunt' or 'Uncle' in Chinese culture as a polite gesture. ~
- When you take control of Ryo with the final tape fast-forward
it to 601 seconds (the timer will stop on it). Play it. If you
hear a bell chime and a parrot talking you've got the right part.
It seems Yuan has Yuanda Zhu's associate who knows where he is.
- Head for Thousand White Qr and you'll have a scene with a blind
street musician. Choose the right option to listen to his song,
then he'll tell you that he's heard a bell like the one on the tape
in the Moon Child Building.
~ There are various ways to track down Yuan as many people in ~
~ Kowloon know something about her. You can simply follow the ~
~ guide below, or you can ask about her in Thousand White Building ~
~ at the knife shop (Yuan collects knives). If you want to ~
~ experiment and see if you can find her. ~
- Go to Stand Qr and into the Moon Child Building.
- Go to the right of the entrance and talk to the woman on the
food stall about a bell. She's heard one at the orphanage on 8F.
- Take the elevator to 8F and talk to the girl in red outside the
orphanage. There's a boy called Hongji who might know who Yuan is.
- Go inside and talk to Ren, then talk to the boy standing on the
chair. This is Hongji. He knows that Yuan has a talking bird. After
you give him the Afterburner toy as a bribe ask the bottom option
he'll tell you that his teacher might know.
- Talk to the teacher again after the cut-scene.
- Take the elevator down to 1F and talk to the food stall woman
again. There are a lot of stalls that sell birds in 3 Birds Building.
- Go to Dimsum Qr and into 3 Birds Building. Go up to 6F.
- Ask any of the store owners and they'll tell you to go to 9 Birds
Shop on the roof.
- Go up to the roof and talk to the owner of 9 Birds Shop. Yuan buys
birdfeed from him every evening. Choose to pass the time until 7pm.
- After the cut-scene you'll be behind Yuan. Stay behind her but
follow her to the end of the corridor and round.
- Take the elevator after her to 1F. Be careful when she reaches the
front door as she'll look behind herself so keep your distance. Stay
behind her through Dimsum Qr and Thousand White Qr until you reach
Thousand White Building.
- Inside there will be a cut-scene at the knife shop. When Ryo steps
out from behind the wall be ready for a quick QTE (press left).
- Follow her to Cafe Anna, then onto Stand Qr.
- After a cut-scene Yuan will go into the Moon Child Building.
Follow her but when she starts heading towards your hiding place
you'll have to press down, Y in a command QTE to avoid being seen.
- Take the elevator up to 4F.
- Follow Yuan to her room (there's no way you can miss it). Ryo
and Ren will toss a coin to see who knocks on the door. You'll lose
and when she opens the door and sees you you'll have to press left,
right, A in a command QTE.
- Inside go behind the left screen to find Zhang, Zhu's associate
tied up. Before you can do anything, you'll hear some familiar
- Ren will tell the bird to say that you're in the closet, then
he'll jump behind the couch. You should hide behind one of the
- When Don Nui looks in the closet Ren will shout and you'll have
to press up, A in a command QTE to knock him in. You'll then have
to press right in a QTE to seal him in with the drawers.
- The next day at Ren's hideout Zhang will give you a special
stick featuring a Snake Tortoise, one of the mythical Four Divine
Beasts and tell you that Yuanda Zhu is hiding on 10F of the Ghost
- Go to Thousand White Qr and turn left past the big warehouse
doors. Straight ahead is Ghost Hall Building (when you enter
you'll understand the name). You've got to get all the way to
the 10th floor.
- Take the elevator to 3F.
- Take the stairs up to 4F.
- You'll have to cross the planks but as you cross them Ryo will
lose his balance so you'll have to press directions on the D-pad
to avoid falling to your death. The game won't end but you'll have
to restart the whole section. On the first one you'll have to press
left, right, left. On the second you'll have to press left, left,
right. Save when you make it across.
[NOTE: Sometimes if you go too close to an edge Ryo will lose his
balance meaning that you have to press a direction to avoid falling]
- Take the stairs up to 7F. On the first set of planks press right,
left, right, down. On the second press left, left, up, right.
- Takes the stairs up to 8F and cross the planks. The combination
for the first one is left, right, down, left, left. For the second
it is right, right, left, up, left.
- Continue on up to 10F. I'd save here because you don't want to go
through all that again. The combination on the first one is down,
right, up, left, right. Make sure to save when you make it to the
- On the final plank you'll have to press right as soon as Ryo
jumps. The combination for the rest of it is left, right, right,
- At the end you'll meet up with Ren. He called in a favour and got
the key to the elevator >
- Enter the Five Star Corp.
- Go to the front desk and look in the right drawer to find a diagram
of the Four Divine Beasts.
- Go to the cabinet with the Buddha in it and open the hatch. Inside
is a Hazuki gi which may have belonged to Iwao and the Tiger stick.
- Between the statue of the Buddha and the window there is a unit
of shelves with a big blue pot on it. Pick up the pot to find the
- For the fourth and final Divine Beast stick look behind the 'Eight
Principles of Yin and Yang' calligraphy on the wall behind the desk
(just like the dojo back home). You'll find the Blue Dragon stick
- Go to the Buddha and using the instructions that you found in the
drawer arrange the sticks (it turns out that the stick are keys) in
the corresponding holes in his face. This will open a secret room.
- Inside you'll finally find Yuanda Zhu. No sooner has Ryo
introduced himself as the son of Iwao Hazuki, the party is crashed
by Don Nui and his cronies - you were followed! Ren will escape
through the window and Don Nui will throw you out. Luckily you land
on your feet thanks to a convieniently-placed awning below.
- You'll have to free-battle 4 thugs but once you've defeated a
couple of them Don Nui will join the battle. You can't hit him and
after a while the screen will begin to fade. Just avoid him until
this happens. He'll send Ryo flying but someone comes to help - it's
- You'll wake up in the White Thousand Convent with Xiuying and a
nun. The convent is the place where Xiuying and Ziming were raised.
When you go out Wong will be waiting to take you back to Ren's
hideout. There will be a cut-scene - the Yellow Head were looking
for Zhu on the orders of the Chiyoumen and he has been taken to
the Yellow Head Building, Don Nui's hideout, to be handed over to
Lan Di himself!
- Go to the Yellow Head Building - it's the big building that
Thousand White Qr, Dimsum Qr, and Stand Qr encircle. You'll be
stopped when you try and enter.
- Walk around the building trying to enter every door (there's one
each in Thousand White Qr, Dimsum Qr, and Stand Qr). Ren will appear
at the last one.
- Go to Dimsum Qr and into Nihao Tea. There will be some cups to
arrange - make Yuanda Zhu's Chawan Sign. You'll get a note from
Zhang that tells you to go to room 503 of the Moon Child Building.
- Go to Moon Child Building, up to 5F, and into room 503. Spar with
the man, but you won't be able to hit him. When the room goes pitch
black, wait for him to lunge in and press the D-pad towards him and
X to learn a new special move: Predictive Explosion.
- The man turns out to be the blind Chinese violin player, who
actually isn't blind. He knew Ryo's father who was there 20 years
previously and is upset to hear of his death. He knows a way to
get into the Yellow Head Building, and gives you a picture of a
Yellow Head scout who can get you in if you impress him by winning
- Follow the path to Star Gazing Point (look for the sign). Fight
Zhouhong Kong and win - wait for him to attack, then sidestep
into his blind spot on his left where his eyepatch is, then use
Ryo's 3-kick combo (A, A, A). The scout will leave.
- Still in Stand Qr, look for Small Dragon Garden. Go inside.
- Fight Whenyuan Ma, a master of the Passive Raid Style. To win you
only have to hit him once in 30 seconds. To do this wait for him to
attack, then attack before he hits you. The scout will leave again.
- Go to the street fight in Thousand White Qr and fight Enjiang