BackgroundNintendo's sixth home console finally delivers high definition graphics while expanding the boundaries of typical gaming like its predecessor, the Wii, did back in 2006. It features a new touchscreen controller that can play in tandem with the Wii controllers which are still supported by the Wii U.
The Wii U is also backwards compatible with Nintendo Wii software.
- Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
New Controller: Approximately 5.3 inches high, 0.9 inches deep (not including buttons and other projections) and 9.0 inches long. The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
- Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.
- Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
- Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
- Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
- Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
- CPU: IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
- GPU: AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
- Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
In spite of newfound optimism that arose from the early retail success of titles like Mario... posted Yesterday
Nintendo's Satoru Iwata remains firmly entrenched as President and CEO, having been re-elected... posted Jun 27, 14 10:45am
Philips Electronics NV scores a United Kingdom court victory against Nintendo, one of four... posted Jun 20, 14 10:56am
Nintendo believes its upcoming amiibo lineup of NFC-enabled toys with game integration could be... posted Jun 19, 14 11:55am
[image1 link=yes width=650 height=360] Nintendo's Figurine Platform was revealed in earnest... posted Jun 10, 14 11:19am
[image1 link=yes width=650 height=311] Pokémon Rumble U's cute little NFC-enabled toys look... posted May 09, 14 12:13pm
Nintendo has received its financial report card for its recently-concluded fiscal year, and... posted May 07, 14 12:32pm
Nintendo will tease a look at what awaits its faithful over the coming months through its "Play... posted May 02, 14 11:24am
It's no secret Nintendo hasn't been doing well lately. They've only sold 2.41 million Wii U... posted Jan 29, 14 1:26pm
Nintendo had already braced itself for a rough fiscal year ending later in March, and the... posted Jan 29, 14 11:12am
Update: EA COO Peter Moore released the following statement on Twitter: "Don’t trust... posted Jan 22, 14 2:06pm
Despite holding a "powerhouse" platform in the 3DS that continues to reach new milestones in... posted Jan 17, 14 10:44am
It's that time again, Nintendo fans! We have another Nintendo Direct to look forward to and in... posted Dec 17, 13 6:43pm
Let's be honest, the Wii U had a terribly rough first year after launching in November 2012.... posted Nov 26, 13 8:49pm
Nintendo confirms that they secured profitability during the first half of their current... posted Oct 30, 13 2:13pm
In their latest financial report covering the three month period ended June 30th, Nintendo... posted Jul 31, 13 6:04pm
Nintendo's much vaunted system update for the Wii U is finally online and ready for download. For dedicated Wii... posted Apr 26, 13 12:25pm