BackgroundNintendo's sixth home console finally delivers high definition graphics while expanding the boundaries of typical gaming like its predecessor, the Wii, did back in 2006. It features a new touchscreen controller that can play in tandem with the Wii controllers which are still supported by the Wii U.
The Wii U is also backwards compatible with Nintendo Wii software.
- Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
New Controller: Approximately 5.3 inches high, 0.9 inches deep (not including buttons and other projections) and 9.0 inches long. The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
- Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.
- Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
- Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
- Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
- Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
- CPU: IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
- GPU: AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
- Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
It's that time again, Nintendo fans! We have another Nintendo Direct to look forward to and in... posted 2 days ago
Let's be honest, the Wii U had a terribly rough first year after launching in November 2012.... posted Nov 26, 13 8:49pm
Nintendo confirms that they secured profitability during the first half of their current... posted Oct 30, 13 2:13pm
In their latest financial report covering the three month period ended June 30th, Nintendo... posted Jul 31, 13 6:04pm
Nintendo's much vaunted system update for the Wii U is finally online and ready for download. For dedicated Wii... posted Apr 26, 13 12:25pm
Update: Corrected typo regarding Wii hardware sales [image1 link=yes width=640 height=315] Nintendo's... posted Apr 24, 13 12:44pm
The weakened Japanese yen has brought good things for the country's exporters including Nintendo who has been in... posted Apr 24, 13 11:55am
Nintendo last week headlined its handy reminder that the Virtual Console is still coming for the Wii U platform... posted Apr 23, 13 4:04pm
After a notable absence in 2012, Nintendo has now confirmed it will be returning to Gamescom in 2013. The... posted Feb 20, 13 8:45am
The January Nintendo Direct livestream is over and President Iwata saw the Wii U's shadow. It's going to be... posted Jan 23, 13 7:19am
Retail giant GameStop didn't sell quite as many Wii U consoles this holiday season as anyone expected. According... posted Jan 03, 13 11:51am
Sayyyy....remember when you first plugged in your Wii U and had to wait ages for a firmware update to download... posted Dec 05, 12 7:10am
Wii U early adopters sit through slow firmware update for Miiverse, Wii backwards compatibility, and more
If you were lucky enough to score a Wii U yesterday by hitting your friendly local retailers, you'll know that... posted Nov 19, 12 11:46am
In disappointing news for television lovers, Nintendo announced today that the Wii U would not be shipping with... posted Nov 16, 12 11:07am
The latest Nintendo Direct broadcast dealt with some of the console software Wii U owners will be playing with,... posted Nov 07, 12 12:05pm