BackgroundThe XBOX 360 is the second game console developed by Microsoft. With the XBOX 360, you can watch home videos, listen to music, view photographs, screen DVDs in 720p, and more. When it comes to games, the console packs incredible processing power.
The XBOX 360 is powered by a CPU which is made up of 3 seperate core processors which run symetrically at 3.2GHz each. The CPU is paired with a custom 500Mhz ATI graphics processor and 512MB of RAM utilized through a unified memory architecture. A 12X DVD ROM drive supports game and progressive DVD movie playback.
The XBOX 360 is available in two versions, the XBOX 360, often referred to as the premium version, and the Core System. Both versions play all 360 games and have the same internal hardware. The Premium version includes a 20Gb hard drive, a wireless controller, an XBOX Live headset, component HD AV cable, and an ethernet cable. The Core System includes a composite AV cable and a wired controller. Though the Core System does not ship with all the items as the Premium version does, it is fully upgradeable through seperate purchases of these additions.
The XBOX 360 does support limited backward compatibility with original XBOX titles if you have an XBOX 360 hard drive, through software emulation. To play original XBOX games, 360 owners can update their system to play these titles via XBOX Live or optical disk. Various patches for individual games, often referred to as "nuggets" come preloaded on the hard drive but can be uploaded to the XBOX 360 in the same way.
XBOX 360 Live, Microsoft's online network service for the XBOX 360 is accessible through XBOX Live accounts. XBOX 360 players can create "Silver" accounts at no charge to access downloads, demos and purchases through XBOX Live Marketplace. Online gameplay is available by purchasing a "Gold" account. Accounts can be purchased online via XBOX Live, or with cards at retail outlets that can be activated online. XBOX Live accounts do require either a memory card or an XBOX 360 hard drive to save account information.
- Hardware, software, and services: Fusing powerful hardware, software, and services, Xbox 360 fully engages you in a gaming experience that is more expansive, dramatic, and lifelike, where the possibilities are limitless and your imagination knows no boundaries.
- Industrial design: A merger of form and function, Xbox 360 wraps powerful technology in a sophisticated exterior.
- Xbox Gamer Guide: The Xbox Gamer Guide is an entertainment gateway that instantly connects you to your games, friends, music, movies, and downloadable content.
- Personalized interface: Xbox 360 lets you create your own unique system and experience.
- Ring of Light and Xbox Guide Button: Featured on both the wireless and wired controllers, the Xbox Guide Button puts you in control of your experience. In addition to bringing up the Xbox Gamer Guide and the Xbox System Guide, the Xbox Guide Button lets you turn the system on and off without ever leaving the couch.
- Xbox Live: Xbox Live is where games and entertainment come alive, the only unified place where you can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere. And the best just got better. Connect your Xbox 360 to your broadband connection and get instant access to Xbox Live Silver. Express your digital identity through your Gamertag and gamer card, talk with others using voice chat, and access Xbox LiveMarketplace—all right out of the box, at no extra cost.
- Xbox Live Marketplace: Keep your favorite games fresh with instant access to new content. Accessible to everyone who establishes a broadband connection with their Xbox 360, XboxLive Marketplace lets you personalize and extend your experience, on demand.
- Games: Xbox 360 redefines what games look like, sound like, feel like, and play like to engage you like never before. Vibrant characters display depth of emotion to evoke more dramatic responses, immersing you in the experience like never before. You'll see all Xbox 360 titles at 720p and 1080i resolution in 16:9 widescreen, with anti-aliasing for smooth, movie-like graphics and multi-channel surround sound.
- Digital entertainment: Amplify your music, photos, video, and TV. Watch progressive-scan DVD movies right out of the box. Rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive and share your latest digital pictures with friends. Make the connection, and Xbox 360 instantly streams the digital media stored on your MP3 player, digital camera, Media Center PC, or any Microsoft® Windows® XP-based PC.
Official URLOfficial Site
Currently Xbox 360 subscribers to Xbox Live Gold are enjoying Iron Brigade from Double fine,... posted Nov 27, 13 9:04am
Further announcements from Microsoft concerning its forthcoming Xbox hardware platform are now believed to take... posted Apr 08, 13 11:51am
Microsoft's newest beta Xbox 360 dashboard update also provides a glimpse of Xbox Music, ahead of any official... posted Sep 27, 12 3:07pm
[image1 width=200 float=right] Don't miss Rory's excellent summary of Microsoft's E3 conference right here! posted Jun 04, 12 12:07pm
In case you've been living under a rock, deprived of Internet, then it may surprise you to learn that E3 2012 is... posted May 29, 12 6:29pm
[image1 width=200 float=right] It won't be long now until the main event finally kicks off, and Neoseeker as... posted May 23, 12 11:55am
Today marks quite a few new services to Xbox LIVE. Gold subscribers should now have access to MLB.TV and the... posted Mar 27, 12 1:02pm
The next two weeks in Xbox LIVE Marketplace updates promises a lot of DLC for some pretty big titles, from Modern... posted Mar 20, 12 11:53am
These next two weeks should be pretty exciting for LIVE subscribers. We think so, anyway. Major Nelson put up... posted Mar 06, 12 10:51am
Microsoft has announced another Xbox 360 Kinect bundle, this time in all white. The "Xbox 360 Special Edition... posted Feb 28, 12 2:55pm
[image1 width=150 height=191 float=right] Microsoft confirms to ZDNet that one of the chief architects behind... posted Jan 18, 12 3:53pm
Looks like quite a few publishers chose this week to release DLC for their AAA titles, including Gears of War 3,... posted Dec 13, 11 12:53pm
Hey, guess what? Xbox is celebrating its 10-year anniversary, and Microsoft is giving a little freebie to the... posted Nov 15, 11 1:57pm
[image1 link=yes width=250 float=right]Xbox.com visitors will soon be introduced to some spiffy new features in... posted Nov 09, 11 11:40am