BackgroundVenture into the city of Metronome, a sprawling mass of haphazardly built houses and huge steam engines where the outlandish inhabitants are carrying out their chores day and night. A city where the life of every citizen is dictated by the Corporation, a single bureaucratic entity that owns all the land, the entire infrastructure and all the industries.
"As the sun rises over Metronome, thousands of citizens board the huge steam trains that will carry them into the city. Your job as an apprentice train engineer is usually very simple during the early rush; check that everyone's work-order is valid, record their voice ticket and then clear your cart for departure.
Now the entire passenger coach has gone quiet. Everyone stares expectantly at you and the raven-haired girl in the back of the cart. She looks distantly out of the window, ignoring the fact that her work-order is missing, not to mention the strange coincidence of your voice recorder breaking down just as you were checking her voice pass "
When the veil of conformity is lifted you begin to question the world around you. Who and what are you, in this city of continuous labour? What is the actual purpose of the Metrognomes? And are the scouts really there to help the citizens as the Corporation claims...?
Together with the mysterious girl New you set out to uncover her hidden past. A journey that will lead you through several exceptional locations, trying to reveal the truth about the mysterious Corporation and find the purpose of the city itself...
GameplayExplore winding alleys, skewed rooftops and crowded apartment buildings as you search for proof of the Corporations secret agenda, all while listening for sounds to record. Sounds that can be used for a variety of tasks: fight enemies with loud and destructive sounds, solve problems and confuse citizens by clever usage of the right sound at the right moment, use seductive and melodious sounds to change the mood and behaviour of listeners.
Can't find the specific sound you need? Create it yourself! Shove a bookcase down some stairs, throw a rock
through a window or simply annoy someone enough to make them shout at you and then record the result.
- Sound recording: Record and store any sound you can hear. Different sounds have different properties making them valuable for a wide variety of tasks.
- Use recorded sounds in various ways: Fight enemies by using loud and destructive sounds. Manipulate and soothe characters by using melodious and seductive sounds. Fool enemies by clever usage of the right sounds at the right time.
- Sound based problem solving: Record and replace the sounds of objects in the world to make them behave differently, combine recorded sounds to create new functionality and fuse them into items.
- Make some noise: Can't find the specific sound you need? Create it yourself! Shove a bookcase down some stairs, throw a rock through a window or simply annoy someone enough to make them shout at you and then record the result.
- Planting ideas: By merging collected sounds and various ingredients, ideas can be created. Ideas that can be used to inspire and control citizens.
- Cinematic soundtrack integration: Our music system allows unprecedented control over the presentation and style of the gameworld.
- Subtly let the footsteps of a shady character you are following coincide with the sneaky beat of the music, have him stop and look over his shoulder exactly as the music pauses.
- Technology: Metronome is powered by Artificial Studios' Reality Engine.